A few pictures from the South

Post anything here that is related to taking Railway Photographs!

Moderator: saslord

Re: A few pictures from the South

Postby 47806 » Tue May 19, 2009 7:29 am

Wow! Lots to see, I think that the trip was worth it.
Follow the Progress on my Layouts - click here.
My Railway Photography - click here.

davek

Postby davek » Tue May 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Good shots mate and nice to see you again, if only briefly! I do like the 'nose on' shot of the convoy arriving - I can't believe I beat them to Eastleigh from Southampton!

PTmodeller

Postby PTmodeller » Tue May 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Great shots- I love the tight graming of the first one, very dramatic :!:

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:08 pm

Thanks all for the comments and kind words.

Chris - the MOD was a first for me too. Never seen anything like it before, hence I would have liked to get an overall shot. The different composition of the lorries onboard was the best alternative I could come up with!

Thomas - I'm glad I made the journey now. The weather held up better than expected, and I was pleased with the pics I came home with. Once the Deltic leaves Eastleigh it will likely be a long time before I see one again too!

Dave K and PT - The nose on shot was a disappointment at first. I'd hedged my bets as to what platform to shoot from, and as you can see it came right across to that platform, making a shot of the whole convoy impossible. However, having got some photos of the whole convoy later on anyway, and having cropped that picture when I got back, I quite like it! The Deltic is certainly imposing from head on!

Dave K - good to catch up with you again too. I also meant to give you a mention in the first post - it was Dave that showed me the new angle from the bridge and also gave me the heads up on the 09 leaving. He's pretty useful to have around :lol:

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Tue May 19, 2009 8:28 pm

Back to the mundane today! Another 59 that was yet to be added to the collection - 59005. Typically, today there was enough cloud cover to capture a different angle, but the working was running late and I was just having to leave as it appeared. This was the nearest spot to get to, so we have yet another 59 taken from this side of the bridge :roll:

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Fri May 22, 2009 7:23 pm

Another sizeable instalment to bombard you with today! I couldn't resist a second trip to Eastleigh when I added up all the different workings that I could see there today. Without further ado...

First up, 4 locos heading the working from Westbury - 66030, 59103, 59206 and 59001. As far as I know, the 59s were in the consists purely to be moved to Eastleigh for the open day. A colourful line up, but shooting into bright sun dulled them down somewhat.

Next up, a brisk walk to a different spot (thanks yet again to Dave K for showing it to me) to see Class 52 D1015 'Western Champion'. Only had a single 73 in tow, but the 52 itself was a loco I really wanted to see in action.

The 59s head for the works

37760 arrives from Swanage with 34070, 34028 and M7 tank 30053

Finally, in quick succession were 66039 with a stock move from Old Oak, including 47799...

Shiny(ish) 66955...

And the 37 convoy off to the works as well

Postby 47806 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:17 am

Wow! Loads to see. It's so nice not to have OHL! Good light and a good choice of locations.

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Sat May 23, 2009 4:54 pm

Great shots,

Probably the closest we will ever see 34070, 34028 & 30053 running on the mainline again.

The M7 does look smart in her new livery but it seems they just painted over her BR number, and you can see them coming through under the 53.

See here (not my image):

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/ ... CF1746.jpg

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Sun May 24, 2009 12:16 pm

47806 wrote:Wow! Loads to see. It's so nice not to have OHL! Good light and a good choice of locations.

Thanks Thomas! I had a fantastic few hours down there. OHL took me a minute - I assume it's OverHead Lines?! I have to agree though. I much prefer a shot without them where possible.

kieranhardy wrote:Great shots,

Probably the closest we will ever see 34070, 34028 & 30053 running on the mainline again.

The M7 does look smart in her new livery but it seems they just painted over her BR number, and you can see them coming through under the 53.

See here (not my image):

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e294/ ... CF1746.jpg

Thanks Kieran. Must admit I hadn't noticed the number coming through, but I see what you mean.

On the plus side re the Bullied pacifics, there are plenty in preservation. Between the BoB, West Country and Merchant Navy classes, off the top of my head I also know of 2 that are certified for the mainline (Clan Line and Tangmere).

kieranhardy

Postby kieranhardy » Sun May 24, 2009 4:54 pm

guitardave_1 wrote:On the plus side re the Bullied pacifics, there are plenty in preservation. Between the BoB, West Country and Merchant Navy classes, off the top of my head I also know of 2 that are certified for the mainline (Clan Line and Tangmere).

There are indeed, out of the 30 Merchant Navies, 11 have made it into preservation along with 20 light pacifics (rebuilt/unrebuilt WC/BoB). Yup only two are currently cleared for the mainline, however in the next few years we should see 34027 "Taw Valley", 34046 "Braunton" & 35027 "Port Line" on main line metals. Ian Riley has also said he will restore 35009 "Shaw Savill" for main line use in BR blue providing she doesn't sell by the time his second black 5 is complete.

Postby 47806 » Mon May 25, 2009 8:10 am

Yes! I did mean overhead lines (OHL). I understand how useful it is but 3rd rail is much more photogenic!

davek

Postby davek » Mon May 25, 2009 9:14 pm

Alright mate.
Nice shots again, glad the new spot worked out well for the Western pic. We were dead luck with the weather and the timings for the trains!

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:35 am

davek wrote:Alright mate.
Nice shots again, glad the new spot worked out well for the Western pic. We were dead luck with the weather and the timings for the trains!

Thanks Dave. Everything worked out really well. I couldn't believe the number of people about though - anyone who actually wanted to use the station to catch a train must have wondered what the hell was going on :lol:

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Thu May 28, 2009 10:36 am

My Eastleigh 100 photos are now uploaded to my site. I won't post them all in this thread as well, but for anyone who wants to take a look you can find them here.

guitardave_1

Postby guitardave_1 » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:30 pm

Planned a little outing today for the first time in ages. Tried out a new mainline location - not particularly busy but worth finding. Few angles available but a lot of trees meant quite tight head on shots. Also found a bit of a viewpoint of the Mid Hants Railway to get a pic for the competition.

Didn't choose the best day in the end - weather was unpleasant. Hot and humid but without much sun to show for it. The light was a bit peculiar at times too :roll:

Couldn't resist adding this one too, taken whilst waiting for trains at the MHR. I just love the bokeh (soft, out of focus background) that this lens achieves

Return to “Railway Photographs”