Loxley Lane, 6x4, OO layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Graymee

Re: Loxley Lane, 6x4, OO layout

Post by Graymee »

No i haven't emigrated! Can't believe it''s a month since i last updated this!

Reason is simple, not much to report really but here goes...

I've run the DCC BUS and all of the holes are drilled ready to fit the "copper droppers" Had a bit of a soldering iron problem. Basically the one i bought was rubbish, so I have had to invest in a better one. So I should hopefully now be able to fit droppers without melting the track first!

Almost all of the point motors are fitted apart from one which will have to be a suface mounted one due to being at the very edge of the baseboard thus right above framework. One other to fit when i get down to LMS as i somehow only counted 10 points and need 11!! None of these are wired yet, that's the next scary bit! I've fitted them by cutting holes in the baseboard and laying fresh bits of cork over the top, so motors are fitted directly to the points. I was going to use the extension rods and fix them under the baseboard but they don't seem very strong and have to be fitted very accurately to make sure they all line up properly. so figured this was the best way to do it. Pretty much the same method as described on the help pages of the main site. some pics:
So much for the tidy workspace!! :shock: This might seem like a backwards way of doing things after just laying the cork but in my lttle mind it was the simplest way that i could do it and ensure that i got it right! :D Note all of the "copper droppers at the top of the picture waiting to be fitted... Oh and incase anyone is wondering what happened to the trackplan, it is still the same, i just turned the board around for the purpose of fitting the motors as all of the points are on one side of the layout.
motors fitted thru a new piece of cork and ready just to drop into holes. Holes are slightly oversize to give a bit of "wiggle room." I've fitted all the motors the same way around, ie the wires all point the same way which i hope will make wiring them up a bit simpler? I did want to fit indicator LEDS to show direction of points, but not sure if i will now, can't seem to find a simple enough way of doing it that I can understand.

I've also got to fit some magnets into the sidings to allow uncoupling without the "hand of god" I have enough to make five uncoupling points for now, but have now heard about some neomydium (or something like that) magnets which are incredibly powerfull, so if i need to fit anymore i will use some of those and fit them from under the baseboard. The magnets that i'm going to use first off will need to go under the track and I'll have to chisel out about a 1/4 inch from the top of the baseboard to allow them to be hidden...More work! :roll:

Ok that's about it I think. I've bought a Wills Scenic Timber Signal Box and Interior to have a go at building in plastic but not started it yet. Also bought a cheap airbrush the other day to have a bit of a play when i feel brave enough. Other than that, went to Derby Exhibition yesterday and got some more ideas and inspiration :D
Thanks for being interested.

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread
briantwigley

Post by briantwigley »

Good Progress there Graeme. I never went down the route of point motors because of all the wiring and complications like that! Like to keep it as simple as possible. Good work though. Just a little note, you think your workstation is untidy?

Eek!

Ryan
Graymee

Post by Graymee »

Hi,
2009! Blimey, I didn't realise it was that long ago since I last posted on here!

Sadly, circumstances changed and I stopped the build on this track. I've been promising to get back to it but just haven't had the time or the motivation.
Now the need for a new laptop has forced me to finally admit defeat and sell the entire setup.

I'm going to list it in the Sale section now.

I would like to thank everyone who helped me back then. Greatly appreciated

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread