My N gauge layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
ceejaydee

Re: My N gauge layout

Post by ceejaydee »

That really is a great layout with lots of nice little details and touches that really bring it alive 8)

Makes me think I should get my butt into gear and do a bit more work on my N layout :roll:
Regards
Christopher D.
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

ceejaydee wrote:That really is a great layout with lots of nice little details and touches that really bring it alive 8)

Makes me think I should get my butt into gear and do a bit more work on my N layout :roll:
Yeah you should,liked your layout,any more progress since the last pics back in Oct 08?
SouthernBoy

Post by SouthernBoy »

Two great pictures there smallman28 - The first one of the street is my favourite: really atmospheric and a good sense of depth even though we know in reality this is all modeled in a relatively short space :)
ceejaydee wrote: ...Makes me think I should get my butt into gear and do a bit more work on my N layout :roll:
Now that you mention it... :D
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

SouthernBoy wrote:Two great pictures there smallman28 - The first one of the street is my favourite: really atmospheric and a good sense of depth even though we know in reality this is all modeled in a relatively short space :)
Yeah,real illusion of depth,the board is only about 3ft long but it looks so much longer in that shot.
Got a new camera the other week as well,hence the new pics :D
trains!

Post by trains! »

Glad to see you back again smallman :D . I'm guessing you have finished off your cinema room and got bored of your quad? That equals model time :lol:
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

trains! wrote:Glad to see you back again smallman :D . I'm guessing you have finished off your cinema room and got bored of your quad? That equals model time :lol:
No and no!
Still need to finish the doors but they will do for now,chain broke on the quad a while ago and only just got round to fixing it.
I was feeling inspired by the great layouts on here and was almost tempted to start another one when I remembered I had a perfectly good layout as it was that needed finishing!
Lots of new toys to play with as well,got a Mac computer a few months ago,new camera the other week and am currently sat in bed typing this on an Ipod touch.
ste234

Post by ste234 »

smallman28 wrote:got a Mac computer a few months ago,new camera the other week and am currently sat in bed typing this on an Ipod touch.
Yerr its alright for some isnt it :wink:
Cheers,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout
Jack Middleton

Re:

Post by Jack Middleton »

[url=http://imageshack.us]Image

can i ask who made these wagons? (farish?)
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

Yes,they are Farish ones.
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

Still here!
Some other things have distracted from my own layout recently (building my dad his for a start!) but I am doing a few more bits to this.
Ordered a couple of Woodland Scenics tree kits to redo the "toilet brush" trees I wasn't happy with :( having used them on my dads layout they are easy to do and give good results.
Got some benches to come as well,will be sharing them with my dad though :D
Have also retouched some areas of grass that seem to have gone a bit thin a year or so since I first did it.
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

Today I will mostly be making trees!
This pic shows most of the trees,there are some around the church but the main concentration is here,there are going to be quite a few more around the castle as well.

Also put one in the little paved area at the bottom of the hill,chap sat quietly reading his paper in the shade.

Going to get a small building to go at the bottom as well.
Was looking at the Lyddle End toll house building,looks quite un-usual and I think it would make a good cafe type building.
kas1611

Post by kas1611 »

Like the new trees, very impressive. How easy (or not as case maybe) were they to make? Have to say they make a big difference to the castle ruins.

The entire layout is looking excellent and I love the little touches that make the difference, like the guy reading his paper, as it's these that give any layout that human feel. you can almost see the people moving sometimes (or is that too much beer?)

Keep updating us and inspiring

Keiron
beerandpies

Post by beerandpies »

Another fan of those great trees. Glad to see an update on the layout.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End
smallman28

Post by smallman28 »

Trees are easy,but messy :D
I got a "tree kit" for my dads layout that consisted of 21 tree armatures and foliage to go on them.
The only problem was out of the 21 trees only 7 were 3 inches or so,the rest were quite small and didn't come out very well :cry:
This time I got a seperate bag of 57 tree armatures that are 2 1/2-3 inches and two seperate bags of foliage,all in all about £22 including the postage.
When I got the kit I think I paid about £13 so £9 more but this way I will get 7 times or so the amount of good size trees.
The glue is very messy,brush it on,leave it for a while to go tacky then dunk the tree in the foliage.
Like I said easy but messy and sticky!
beerandpies

Post by beerandpies »

CAn you point me in the direction of the kits?

I have Hornby ones but the 2D nature of the actual armatures makes them look really poor on the layout... I'll probably use them for filling out areas in the end, with better quality trees as centre points.
Last edited by beerandpies on Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End