BomBaDillic's new 00 layout - Lodge Valley

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
bizzyd6405

Re: BomBaDillic's new 00 layout - Lodge Valley

Post by bizzyd6405 »

hay that Sleeper Grime looks well good thinking of investing in some myself nice to see your layouts coming along nicely keep up the good work :D

Cheers

Darren
see my NSE era layout Lordsbridge - http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=20810
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I'm very impressed with the sleeper grime. Like yourself, I've never ventured this far into the hobby and i'm learning so much.
Keep up the excellent work.
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..
alleras

Post by alleras »

I think the track as photographed in 'Phase 4' looks spot on. In my experience, any line in regular use would show very little signs of 'rust', either on the inner or outer faces. The predominant colour would be just like your 'sleeper grime' and while 'Phase 4' in my opinion looks tremendously realistic - the realism is lost to some extent by subsequent additions of 'rust' colouring.

The 'ballast' is over scale as already mentioned in a previous response but having not yet reached this stage myself, I would be happy if my first attempt reaches the standards you have attained here.

The shot of the B1 looks brilliant and the scenery helps to disguise the over-scale ballast. From the apparent natural light it must have been taken outdoors and that photograph immediately caught my attention because I am hoping to have my 'OO' layout outdoors. After seeing that photo I am more determined than ever to get started.
For the very latest updates, additional photographs and listings of stock available
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

alleras wrote:I think the track as photographed in 'Phase 4' looks spot on. In my experience, any line in regular use would show very little signs of 'rust', either on the inner or outer faces. The predominant colour would be just like your 'sleeper grime' and while 'Phase 4' in my opinion looks tremendously realistic - the realism is lost to some extent by subsequent additions of 'rust' colouring.

The 'ballast' is over scale as already mentioned in a previous response but having not yet reached this stage myself, I would be happy if my first attempt reaches the standards you have attained here.

The shot of the B1 looks brilliant and the scenery helps to disguise the over-scale ballast. From the apparent natural light it must have been taken outdoors and that photograph immediately caught my attention because I am hoping to have my 'OO' layout outdoors. After seeing that photo I am more determined than ever to get started.
The ballast is labelled as "fine granite chippings" but if it looking a tad 'over-scale' I will rectify this with a bit of light hammering before further ballasting :twisted:

The edition of rust colour was an after and will most likely be used for the sidings as this is a quiet branch line, I wouldn't imagine these getting as much use as the branch line in the real world.

Luckily the test was done a scrap piece of wood with some spare track so I've got no work to re-do on the layout.

I'll try and get some more done over the next few nights, I need to will myself to finish the paper mache tonight so I can start some proper weathering and ballasting :D

Thanks for your comments and look forward to your future posts

BomBaDillic
Long-term sufferer of Railway Enthusiasts Disease. Donations welcome.

My Old Layout: Lodge Valley
ste234

Post by ste234 »

Bombadillic,
Is there a certain technique to applying the sleeper grime? Or is it just smeared on with a paint brush?
Thanks,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout
Graymee

Post by Graymee »

That sleeper grime looks goood! :D I've made a note of itfor future ref.
I actually think that that whole little sequence was just a smoke screen and your building up to some big reveal on your layout??? :wink:

Getting jealous, but once i get the cork cut and laid, i've got 12 points motors to install, plus bus and droppers, plus control panel....scenery is a way off. :cry:

Looking forward to your next update.
Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

ste234 wrote:Bombadillic,
Is there a certain technique to applying the sleeper grime? Or is it just smeared on with a paint brush?
Thanks,
Ste.
Hi Ste,

For the sleeper grime I just coated everything with the paint, rails and all. I’ve haven’t done points yet but just be careful when it comes to painting the moving parts. I think you’re supposed to mask them whilst you’re doing the rest of the track. After I’d finished I just wiped the paint off the top of the rails with some kitchen roll. If any paint proved difficult to remove then I used a track rubber.

It was a worth while investment in Sleeper Grime. I’m pleased with the results I’ve achieved for a first proper go so good luck with it on your layout.
Graymee wrote:That sleeper grime looks goood! :D I've made a note of itfor future ref.
I actually think that that whole little sequence was just a smoke screen and your building up to some big reveal on your layout??? :wink:

Getting jealous, but once i get the cork cut and laid, i've got 12 points motors to install, plus bus and droppers, plus control panel....scenery is a way off. :cry:

Looking forward to your next update.
Cheers

Graeme
Graymee…..

Would I be trying the pull the wool over your eyes :P

I’ve ploughed straight into scenery because I’m not wiring up a DDC layout. I might do that for my next project. Lodge Valley is very much a scenic and weathering tester. So in the future I’ll be trailing behind with a wiring nightmare and you’ll be speeding away in front.

There will be an update on the actual layout later in the week but it’s probably best not to think of it as a “big reveal” as you may feel let down :?

Happy modelling

BomBaDillic

Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

I wouldnt argue with the owner of that Rolls if I were you :shock:

It looks a lot like this one

I believe the drivers nsme was Oddjob :lol:
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Graymee

Post by Graymee »

Time to get the white paint out!!
Can't see the bonnet ornament on yours but a litlle gold might be needed too?

Like it :lol:

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:Image

I wouldnt argue with the owner of that Rolls if I were you :shock:

It looks a lot like this one
I believe the drivers nsme was Oddjob :lol:
Oh no, I've been discovered!!!! :roll: My layout will self-destruct in 10 seconds.

Oddjob out :twisted:

Essex2Visuvesi

Post by Essex2Visuvesi »

Maybe you could have an Aston Martin DB5 parked outside what looks to be an ordinary railway workers cottage ;) ;) :lol:
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller
Black-Marlin

Post by Black-Marlin »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:Maybe you could have an Aston Martin DB5 parked outside what looks to be an ordinary railway workers cottage ;) ;) :lol:
Why not? Cararama make one:

- the only problem is that people on Ebay make the 007 connection and charge accordingly :? . You should still be able to get one for under a fiver, though.

Cheers,
Gavin
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:Maybe you could have an Aston Martin DB5 parked outside what looks to be an ordinary railway workers cottage ;) ;) :lol:
Which is actually the entrance to my secret underground lair..... :twisted:

mumbles

Post by mumbles »

You can also get a spray can of sleeper grime, I have the precision paints version, which is darker than the railmatch version. I am pretty sure that railmatch do it in a spray but have not seen it available, I'm sure Raider had some from somewhere. I did a large amount of track in 20 mins or so with a spray can. as long as you mask off point contacts and do them by hand later it does speed up the process.

Nice little test bed of weathering and ballasting that. I tend to agree about the ballast size, but that's what the test is for.

Michael
bombadillic

Post by bombadillic »

mumbles wrote:You can also get a spray can of sleeper grime, I have the precision paints version, which is darker than the railmatch version. I am pretty sure that railmatch do it in a spray but have not seen it available, I'm sure Raider had some from somewhere. I did a large amount of track in 20 mins or so with a spray can. as long as you mask off point contacts and do them by hand later it does speed up the process.

Nice little test bed of weathering and ballasting that. I tend to agree about the ballast size, but that's what the test is for.

Michael
You're right Michael, they do sell a spray for Railmatch Sleeper Grime, I could have bought it from Howes Models rather than the potted paint. I did consider this being a lot quicker and easier but opted for the pots because I don't have much track to do anyway.

I'm going to attack my over sized ballast with a hammer :twisted: