"Oliver's Road" Royal Mail Depot

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
briantwigley

Re: "Oliver's Road" Royal Mail Depot

Postby briantwigley » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:26 pm

It looks really good, especially the backboard, the town scene looks really good! Not often you see things like this being made!

Cheers

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:28 pm

piemanlarger wrote:I worked out why things are progressing slowly.

It's looking fantastic! Your definition of slow is somewhat different to mine! :D

ste234

Postby ste234 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:37 pm

This layout looks realy good! The idea of a mail depot is good, and it looks realistic! :D
Is it in OO?
Thanks,
Ste.
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

davek

Postby davek » Tue Mar 10, 2009 8:17 pm

Great looking layout, nice to see one that's progressed further than layout plans! Lovely backdrop and interesting subject.

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:55 pm

there has been some more progress but i have beeen a bit busy to do the updates. Hopefully will update in a few days!
A loco with no sound chip? Might as well be unpainted!
EWS sound loco depot viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7263
Olivers Road RMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=18867&start=30

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Now that most of the work that needed to be done on rimenough is up to date, once I have done some more loco work shall carry on with work on Oliver's Road in the coming months.

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:42 pm

Can't wait to see this layout start to progress again.
Excellent build so far and, as already stated, the backscene is superb.

Dave
My layouts (in progress):
Image and Image

BR125

Postby BR125 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:19 pm

Don't know how I missed this one,great looking layout and i'll certainly have to keep an eye on it! :D

Regards
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 pm

piemanlarger wrote:Finished laying the track yesterday and installing the power feed droppers. Whilst doing so, there was a slight revision in the track plan in that the "TPO" siding is now heading towards the platform. It now splits platform 1 & 2 tracks and the tpo line finishes about 3 inches from the end of the platform. Doing this has double benifits (?) One, more of the points are square on with the baseboard edge so it looks neater, i think?

Better still, I can now use the Tpo siding as loco exchange for platform 1 (or 2), thus bringing in another movement to help vary operations. Have also worked out i can double head Pcv train for another movement.

Right, point motor installation today!

Wow, cant believe I have left it so long to carry on and finish this! However, Oliver's road has arisen and is now on the stands ready for finishing. There was some more work done last July before it was stored, I will add some photos later.
So far today I have come up with a change of operation, which means I have been standing there drinking tea just looking at the layout!

Anyway, "loop 2" of platform 2 is going to be taken out. This will allow a bigger yard behind the RMD where the stabling roads are. The stabling point is based on the old Godfrey road one that was just off Newport station and as such i thaught it did not look big enough as it is. I am hopping the extra space will allow more Ews staff cars to be parked plus a faded mk 1 or 2 coach as was seen at G.R for many years!

I was intending to run round on platform 2, but this change now means that a Pcv& 67 will back in pcv first, thus demonstrating why the Pcv was there!
Run rounds will take place on platform 1 where the Pcv+ 67 or class 47 + mail vans will run into. Its run round or loco exchange for variety.

Right, better get a move on as the layout has its maiden show on June 19th and I really need most of the work finished by this weekend as work is very busy between Easter and June!

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:36 pm

Plan B

Not actually managed to do anything the last day or so apart from go to Holt Model railway to pick up 2 yards of concrete sleeper track so i can do the board joins and remove the loop, and i baught 2 Silver bullets while i was there, very nice too!

Anyway, this is wahat the layout looks like today, all the church grave yards / building etc was done last July!
Got lighting to go around the church area which should look nice when done then add the Train spooter and Grim reaper!

Most of the "scenic" Right side board is done really, got to sort out the bit of open land that is currently half grass half ballast!! Thing it will go all grass, overgrown with possibly an old bunjer half buried in there too?

So, cut new track and re-lay.

Wire up lights / signals

Re-lay yard lamps (they were pinched for New Rimenough!)

Platform and canopy, post office building.

Rolling Stock!

Photos of the work done last July?

Loco Exhange road (oily) and Church

Same from low angle

Graves by church

Folly

Litch gate

Church and folly

Grave Yard!

Out of the box 47 posing on loco exhange road.

67 on unfinished board

BR125

Postby BR125 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:16 pm

I really like the folly and graveyard,certainly gives it an interesting look with the lighting and painted backdrop. Keep up the good work! :D

Regards
Daz
ImageWith my silken line and delicate hook,i wander in a myriad of ripples and find freedom!

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:41 pm

As is the norm, did not get as much done today as planned.
I did mangae to rip up the loop and remove the loop and then re-lay the track with new droppers and copper clad the board ends.

Should re-ballast the Rmd Board tomorrow and add some more details around the join of the two boards to try and hide that as much as possible.

Had to move the signal for platform 2 forward about 3 inches when the new track was laid today.

The Rmd boad awaiting new track earlier today

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:05 am

Did some more wiring today on lamps, buffers stops. Peeed off as i blew a buffer stop lamp so need to order another one know from express models!

Still, signals to wire friday, think i will then add an old signal box to the land at the foot of the graveyar which was bothering me as it looked too empty? Was just going to add the signal box but board it up as disused. Then, looking at the layout tonight with the room lights off and just the layout lights (so far) i thaught it may well look good lit up?

So, signals Friday, ballast and scenery and ten the final bit, the Rmd!

Have also decided to ditch the hands free kadee plans as i just dont like kadee on uk locos. I like to see the pipes + screw couplings so uncloupling / coupling will be via screw couplings. Means I have to walk up and down a few feetbut it will probably help keep the pointers away. You know, the people at exhibition who must get as close to the layout and then shove a finge/hand/arm right into the layout!!!

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:50 pm

The layouts first show crept up on e over the weekend. Sadly the buildings + platforms were not finished as they should be and have to be re-done.
On the plus side the layout recieved lots of nice comments and worked fine.
Opertio from an operators point was interesting enough and everything ran pretty well, apart from the bachmann 66 +37 which were withdrawn! The Hornby class 60's and Lime /Hornby class 67 worked very well.

have to weigh down the Pcv a bit, do that when adding driver + Lights. All in all an enjoyable first time out.

Some pics from today below, now to carry on working on it!

Class 67 working hard

47 on mail, 67 on Pcv and class 60 awaits to depart stabling road due to tunnel problems

47 shunts

Simon the Photographer gets another Shot, but he better not hang around that graveyard to long!!

Very nice railtrack wagons on display

piemanlarger

Postby piemanlarger » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:43 am

Little has happened since the inagural show. In fact nothing, the layout has been sat in the same place on its ends since then due to work!

However, I have recieved and accepted an invation to the Pontypridd show 9th April 2011 at the Crown Hill Community centre Llantwitt Fardre CF38 2PE. Sow is saturday only, 10 - 4 pm i believe.

So, los of finishing work to start on!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”