Marks Large Attic Conversion Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Class 66

Re: Marks Large Attic Conversion Layout

Postby Class 66 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 3:18 pm

Dare I ask it, what is your job Mark ?

trains!

Postby trains! » Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:48 pm

Class 66 wrote:Dare I ask it, what is your job Mark ?

HAHAHA! i shouldnt laugh but i had to :oops: :lol:
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 10:02 am

sishades does have a point in that respect... he put his question as tactfully as such a question can be put and one I had been wandering myself.
It cant all be "well done," "awesome" and "love it" the entire time.

This coming from a guy without a current layout... the words 'leg to stand on' & 'not having a' in my case :P
anyhow, just my two pennyworth.

mycerbera

Postby mycerbera » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:12 am

Class 66 wrote:Dare I ask it, what is your job Mark ?

:roll: I don't see what relevance this is to anything or anyone on here... but i have nothing to hide.. I'm a Test Engineer for a company that designs websites and also buy and sell cars.

Some people just have too much time on their hands, I give up trying to please people on here... :( this thread was just a record for me of all i have done and bought for my layout, with two kids under two i have no time to build the layout at the mo and so getting things for it is all i can do at present...... I don't know how old certain people are on here but they obviously have no idea how much time kids take up and that you just do not get time to yourself to do the things you want to do!!!!

I shant bother posting any more about the things i buy as it obviously offends people on here :shock: (or they are just jealous) and being as i can't get the time to further build my layout at the mo i guess you won't be hearing as much from me until the kids are older and i get my own time back... which i'm sure will please some poeple!

To all the people who understand the pressures of fatherhood and have supported me and given constructive comments over the last few years i'd like to say a big thanks and also the friends i've made on here (you know who you are) :wink:

Comments such as these are extremely valuable
Lewis Nash wrote:hi mark

nice to see the new weathered stock you have there,also i noticed on older posts you have used hornby points,i used these in the past and there a nightmare! :lol: ,there no good with bachmann locos which are larger than 0-6-0s they derail locos and derail some rolling sotck.If i was you i would buy some nice large or medium radius peco streamline points as then your locomotive fleet which you are building up will be able to crossover fine and also it looks more prototypical.thought i would mention this before you start construction so you dont go through the trouble i have had! :wink:

Regards Lewis :)

So i guess some Peco Points will be my next purchase!! (not that i shall mention it on here of course!!!) :roll:

If you look back over my thread you will see how the layout progressed in the early days pre children and i hope to get as productive again ASAP!

I'll be carrying on sorting through my stuff as i get on with the layout so will let you know for those interested when i put anything on eBay.

Happy Christmas everyone and may the new year bring brighter days :D

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:21 am

Mark

Keep posting your purchases, to paraphrase the words of many a modeller, its your thread, do what you like with it.

i think you have a really original idea in having different era zones for your layout [when the kids go to college!]

or like me you can just ignore them now and get cracking!!!

michaelsage

Postby michaelsage » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:24 am

Well said!

As a father I have only managed to produce a "play" layout that my little girl loves. I have just about finished making a "proper" shelf layout, but it has taken 3-4 years to find enough time to actually do it, and even that will have to spend a lot of it's time on the shelf just being looked at.

I hope your kids grow up to enjoy the layout, and that modelling can carry on for another generation, when I am 60 I hope my kids still model (or the trains will be very expensive!!)

All the best and I for one will keep an eye on this thread. At the end of the day if people aren't interested.... don't read it!

Michael
My layout(s)
Musings - http://www.theangel.net
Pictures - http://www.michaelsage.co.uk

bpbill

Postby bpbill » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:55 am

I'm currently a lurker picking up ideas whilst planning a layout I hope to start building for me and my children in January.

I've enjoyed reading your thread for your layout and getting insparation from it. I for one hope you continue in the current vain and giving people like myself ideas and inspiration.

Sorry youngest just tipped his lunch everwhere /bye for now

Thunderbird

Postby Thunderbird » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:07 pm

I would like to echo the posts made by mumbles,michaelsage and bpbill.

it's your thread and you are entitled to do with it what you like. Personally i like to see what fellow modellers are buying and what they have for sale, they might be things that i would like to buy. And I think that you generally get a better review from forum members than you would get from the press.

I enjoy reading about developments on your layout (as well as others) and i've learnt an awful lot from you guys.

please don't turn your back on the forum just because some other members don't enjoy your thread.

best wishes for the festive period and have a great new year.

Thunderbird
aka
john
Manager of the Famous under-achieving Lawton Rovers (NRM xperteleven div2)

Plans are now afoot for the 2nd relocation and resumtion for my N gauge layout Lawton Road..

trains!

Postby trains! » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:14 pm

I'd like to say that its your thread you do what you want. Nomrally when people buy stock, it goes on there layout to notify people they have a new member of the fleet. Thats what mycerbera is doing.
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

Mighty

Postby Mighty » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:29 pm

Hi Mark, I'm a relatively new member and I've been reading through your thread with great interest, so keep up the good work!

What you want to put on your thread, and on your layout is completely up to you. Everyone who argues that that you must do this, or that, or only have Southern or LMS locos, or shouldn't combine different stock because one was phased out 3 months before the other one came in is just wrong. It's your masterpiece, and you can do what you like with it.

I do hope you keep posting, and I shall continue to enjoy reading what you have to say :) Besides, I've just done what you've done and purchased a considerable amount of stock to 'update' my older stuff. At least that's what I persuaded myself... :oops:
"We've shot off over a million cannon shells, and what's the result? One dachschund with a slight limp." - Blackadder

My layout thread: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=20737

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Thunderbird wrote:I would like to echo the posts made by mumbles,michaelsage and bpbill.

it's your thread and you are entitled to do with it what you like. .....
please don't turn your back on the forum just because some other members don't enjoy your thread.

Add my name to that list too .............well said T.bird.

T. :wink:
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

I'll_be_in_the_loft

Postby I'll_be_in_the_loft » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:03 pm

I think we've all bought stuff for our layouts and then changed our minds about them haven't we? I've even bought stuff from Mark which he has bought then changed his mind, and changed my mind and sold it on yet again. Chances are it has since been sold yet again. How many people have bought a new car and kept it until it falls to pieces? Not many I'll bet!
I've met Mark 2 or 3 times and he doesn't strike me as being an Arfur Daley type of character. In other words I don't believe for 1 moment he buys and sells to make money, his cars yes, he's admitted that but not his railway stuff.
Anyway, good luck with the layout Mark, I'll be expecting an invite to inspect your handywork in a few years time and do keep in touch. Either on the forum or by other methods. Good luck with the kids too, it's the little one's first Christmas this week and I'm sure you'll make it very special one for her.
My ebay sales may be viewed by clicking HERE.
Feel free to place bids, GENUINE bidders only please.

lmsrail

Postby lmsrail » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:08 pm

Hi Mark, dont let a few selfish people who dont like your thread put you down, keep your head up high and keep on letting us know what new purchase you have made!

And have a very merry christmas with your family :wink:
Kind regards, Jed

sishades

Postby sishades » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:23 am

Firstly I merely expressed an opinion on this thread, I did not say I did not like it. I do how ever agree that you should continue adding to your thread in whatever manner you see fit, as it is yours after all. Just don't get upset when someone asks you something that you don't like.Yes I do believe that at times you appear to be abusing this forum to make a buck or two. After all that is what Ebay is for. I think you need to make that brave jump from repeatedly buying and selling large amounts of stuff to actually doing something, no matter how small. Your plan for your layout comes across as being exciting and I would love to see it come to fruition. Again this is just an opinion based on what you have posted on your thread.

about the things i buy as it obviously offends people on here

I have never been offended by anyone buying or selling anything on this forum or anywhere else and have never stated as such.

Secondly, I too am the father of two small children, and have spent the last six years at home being a "Domestic services engineer", the last two years helping my son fight cancer, so I know how little time there is for the pleasures in life.

Thirdly I too have a layout thread on this forum, it is after all the best on the interweb and as such I expect comments to be made regarding its planning, structure, implementation and design. If the comments it attracts are negative or if anyone says that it is " a pile of crap" then that is fine. Not everyone is going to like what I have created. As long as it is a constructive criticism as to why it is crap then the spirit of this forum can be maintained. I have also seen on this forum these actual words used to describe a layout, but they were made tongue in cheek, and thus meant the opposite. What matters is that comments made are not of a personal nature, in order to create hostility and resentment. This was not in my mind at the time when I drew up my observations regarding your thread.

dont let a few selfish people who dont like your thread put you down,

How is expressing an opinion being selfish? At what point was I putting Mark down?

So lets get on with the important stuff. Enjoying our hobby and having some fun. Let us pass comments on each others projects, stating what we like, what we do not like but saying why we do and do not like it. If this is not possible then the forum might as well shut up shop and go appear on a celebrity reality show in the jungle somewhere!!!

Have a great Christmas and a happy new year.
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

sheep21

Postby sheep21 » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:58 am

im not selfish... way to go for the personal insults lmsrail, but seeing as first blood has been drawn. :roll:

I do enjoy the thread but im not allowed to ask a question? Isnt that part of posting you layout\stuff on the internet? if I had known that my actions were going to cause mycerbera too become so distraught about how difficult life is and cause him to seriously contemplate leaving the forum's forever because the nasty men asked a question he didnt like... well, I would have asked it anyway.

Good luck with your purchases and I really do like the idea of a 3 period layout, a layout that will give much joy and endless variation, hopefully you will get time one day.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah and a Happy New Year

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”