Goathland - Ed's Layout! UPDATED 23/03/10

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Danny

Re: Goathland - Ed's Layout!

Postby Danny » Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:04 pm

Wow the control panel looks awesome, I bet it took some working out.

Is the track plan on the indicator panel printed off xtrkcad?

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Impressive work - and thanks for the picture description :) A couple of questions:

What's the overall size of the control box you've made (with the track plan on top) and the bank of point switches ?

Have you used the Hornby point switches ? And do you find them reliable ? I read somewhere that sometimes they can throw the point twice if you don't push the lever over really quickly. They do look more fun that the the small SPDT centre-off switches, although obviously the latter do save money and space.

lozstlouis

Postby lozstlouis » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Is that speaker cable i can see?
OO in the loft. Lenz 90 making it go.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:29 pm

OH, I am really annoyed now, I have just lost everything I wrote for my post! I clicked on a link in my email, then it redirected this page! So wen I clicked back, I had lost everything I had typed! I am not typing it out again with that much detail! :x

Anyway, in answer to your questions...

@ Danny: Yes, the control panel did take quite a bit of working out, but with persiverence I got there in the end. I split up what I wanted to achieve into little bits did them and tested them as I went, so if I made a mistake I wouldn't have to rip it all appart and start again! The electronics wasn't too complicated and with taking electronics at school it made it easier. It is just the sheer quantity of wires that make it look complex, sometimes I had to take a stepback, for a while, think it through and go back to it when I was making it, even though it is simple wiring!

Yes the plan is printed from XTrcCAD, it was very kindly made by Mumbles, so all credit goes to him really. He made it from a really bad drawing of mine that I had scanned in! So if you're reading this Mumbles, thank you!

@ SouthernBoy: No problems, I am glad you like it. I bought the casing for the control box from Rapid Electronics, this is a link to the product, the one that is highlighted in yellow is the size that I used:

Long Linky (If you click on full technical spec. it will give you all of the sizes)

As for the point switches, they are standard Hornby Passing Contact Switches - R044 There are 18 of them in total, not sure exactly how long they measure in total. Yes they do seem to be very reliable. You shouldn't push the lever over quickly otherwise the point won't operate. They lock when they are in the operated posistion, if un-latched and flicked back quickly the point will not operate properly and so when moved back to first posistion it will throw the point twice. You can't operate too splowly because it could cause the point to burn out, but you do need to move it both ways and not just let it flick back. The only downside of them is that although they lock together they don't very well. I had secured them between two blcoks of wood. The connections are also a bit rubbish, so the way I got round this was to distort the connectors slightly by squeezing them with pliers, this made them fit tighter into the back on the switch and less prone to falling out. The power connection on the opposite end, (the stickey out bit) can be connected to using 3A terminal strip.

They are more fun than SPDT biased centre stable switches, and they do have the advantage of showing you if the point is opperated from its normal posistion (set as to how you plug the wires into the back of the switch). Quite rightly the latter save space and certainly money, the Passing Contact switches come at a price, and an expensive one! £6.35 now, so that is £114.30 for the switches and that is just the switches alone, no point motors! I decided that it would be worth the additional cost though.

@ lozslouis: Yes it probably is speaker cable that you can see. I wired all of the commons on the points motors back to the power supply, daisy-chaining each one, then I used low grade speaker cable to power either solenoid in the points motors. This is a better quality wire than Hornby supply with the switches and the motors. It comes in whatever length you like! Instead of about 2m (I bought 40m from the local shop, ran out, bought another 10m from Wilkinson, ran out again and then bought another 10m from the local shop! I may aswell have bought the roll off them!). And finally it has a much greater current carrying capacity. Over large distances thin wires have a significant voltage drop, to avoid this heavier grade wire can be used that has greater current carrying capacities.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi everyone

Just having a look though my pictures and I have found a circuit diagram of my Control Box, the power and rotary switches part of it. The rotary switches are 3 pole, but only one pole is shown on the circuit, the three poles are, and LED, positive track, and negative track, for all three switches.

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:46 pm

No replies? :cry: I would have thought someone has read my recent replies and wants to comment on them? Or ask something? :|

beerandpies

Postby beerandpies » Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:24 pm

Having just spent nearly an hour re-wiring two... Yes a mere two... Isolated sections on my layout I'm pretty much awestruck at your work! Some things I'll never be able to do, soldering appears to be one of them!
cheers, Mark.
Scragg End

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:21 pm

beerandpies wrote:Having just spent nearly an hour re-wiring two... Yes a mere two... Isolated sections on my layout I'm pretty much awestruck at your work! Some things I'll never be able to do, soldering appears to be one of them!

I wouldn't worry, I have just spent about about 3 hours the other day fitting a PL13 switch to one of my points to fix a wiring problem. Bah, soldering easy...

When I was in year 9 my soldering was dreadful, it was really bad, I had heated some of the copper pads up so much that the track started to peel etc. on my PCB! It just takes time and practice. The more you practice the better you get, I am in year 13 now and wouldn't say I am the best solderer in the world, but it has come a long way from the horrible big round blobs that never seemed to touch the track properly to nice shiny conical shaped ones, well not conical, but how they should look anyway.

I will post an article on how to solder if you like...

burrawcentral

Postby burrawcentral » Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:09 pm

Very well done with the layout keep the work up
My Model Railway: Burraw Central

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:06 pm

Nice work Edward, how did you do that panel track plan?

sishades

Postby sishades » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:36 am

Electronics is not my bag but your posting has given me the essential basics for constructing my own panel. Very impressive. I think it is in something like this case that DCC comes into its element. But impressive all the same!
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:52 pm

m.levin wrote:Nice work Edward, how did you do that panel track plan?

What aspect of the panel track plan do you mean, I am more than willing to expand or explain further details if you like.

sishades wrote:Electronics is not my bag but your posting has given me the essential basics for constructing my own panel. Very impressive. I think it is in something like this case that DCC comes into its element. But impressive all the same!

You are quite right, DCC really does come into its element with this, but I felt that it would be more interesting to stay DC and use my skills of electronics to overcome problems rather than DCC, because it gives me challenges. :) Thanks for the kind comments.

chris256

Postby chris256 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:30 pm

eddie homles gd job really gd job i love trains

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 10:33 pm

chris256 wrote:eddie homles gd job really gd job i love trains

Thanks, you are welcome to pop round any time, (just drop me an email or MSN me) and you can "play trains!" I cant recall whether I told you or not, but I have bought some new pullman carriages. Oh and that reminds me, I am also eagerly awaiting a delivery of a Skaledale building, the original Single track engine shed which is no longer available!

burrawcentral

Postby burrawcentral » Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:11 pm

you need to add new pics and videos to get people to reply a lot i will be getting some more pics for my thread
My Model Railway: Burraw Central

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”