HST motor replacement

Articles which have been discussed in the main article section (7 days+) and are ready to be added to the main site.
redrgb

HST motor replacement

Post by redrgb »

i broke the ringfield motor in my Hornby HST so i decided to see if it is possible to use another motor. After searching on the Internet i found a site where a motor from a CD drive had been used and as i had a old CD drive that didn't work (and none of the the computers could take it if it did). i took it apart and found a thin motor about the same size as the hole the armature was in, i had to remove the magnet (that was difficult i had to chip bits off with a pair of pliers before it would come out). i than glued the motor in place

i than had to fit the gear on to a smaller shaft i had also lost the original gear so i manged to find a plastic one of the same size to fit it on i wrapped the shaft with paper. i than covered it in glue and put the gear on (it took a few attempts). the only problem left was that the motor interferes with the TV signal (when the motor was on the digital box froze like it does when the signal is weak, it also somehow interfered with the computer mouse it would stop working and need unplugging and the than plugged pack in and it works) so to fix this i had a little play with a few ideas one was to wrap the motor in a conductor (Faraday cage) it didn't stop it, than i remembered about compactors being used by the manufacture to prevent interference so i tried one and it stopped it the one i used is a Electrolytic one and it somehow prevents interference both ways. and when i tested it using a TCS T6X it worked

i hope this is the right place
glegalee

Re: HST motor replacement

Post by glegalee »

Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage
redrgb

Post by redrgb »

i missed that somehow
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

glegalee wrote:Already been posted mate.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 72#p218272

Cheers.
but that's not an article it's a want ad,
"Hornby HST Class 43 motor bogie's wanted."

Most people wouldn't even bother reading it.
Got something to show us? Put it in an article!
Regards
Rob
roadie stu

Post by roadie stu »

Running My HST on saturday it started to run slowly ( full power on the controller but just about getting round the track) took the motor bogie out to find the windings on one of the arms on the motor center had melted
after finding an old cd player at a car boot sale ( a £5 bargain),I carried out this modification
only problem is the lights have stopped working on the power and dummy cars - how do I get them working again??? the bulb looks ok (fillament not broken)
If You Can't Fix It With A Hammer......You've Got An Electrical Fault
glegalee

Post by glegalee »

Check that all the wires are intact and that there are no dry solder joints and that the wires are correctly wired and that the pickups are all touching the wheels. To check that the bulbs are ok use a 9v battery.

Thats everything that you need to check as the wiring in a HST is extreemly simple and thats about everything that can be wrong.

If you want directional lights for your HST ie white at front and red at back when the train is going in either direction let me know.

Cheers.
Visit my layout CHOLMONDELEY PARK
ImageImageImage