Troysdale Wagon & Loco works

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:18 pm

As promised heres the "later" photo, compare it to the one above taken 24 hours earlier, not too much difference, but it does prove I think that quite often "real" things dont suit the model too well. That is real rusted iron on the roof but I think its too light & needs either dry-brushing over or a dark wash painting on it???

Charlie

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 12:37 am

Troysdale goes green!!!......
... well a tiny bit of it anyway :shock: :shock:

I fancied a change from the last few weeks so decided to do a little ground cover, earth/grass scatter plus some field grass, finished the Loco coal staithe and fitted some "low-budget" but effective buffer stops

Charlie

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:30 pm

Hi

I think the rusted roof looks mint, you have done a truly brilliant job right through. Something to be proud of.

Excellent work!

martin

santene

Postby santene » Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:03 pm

Martin71 wrote:Hi

I think the rusted roof looks mint, you have done a truly brilliant job right through. Something to be proud of.

Excellent work!

martin

ye it looks mint!
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

anyone got n gauge track i can buy

DriffCharlie

Re: Troysdale Wagon & Loco works

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:40 pm

Well, a while since last posting and my world has changed a LOT!. couple of weeks ago I got news that the 3rd operation on my knee in 12 months had not been successfull,giving me some devasting news. This has meant frantic searching for a bungalow as my wife wants everything to be in place before my surgery. I'm just accepting the idea now, things could be much worse. Anyway the layout has been a blessing really as I can "loose" myself in it. but the downer has been my concentration span on each thing I do seems about 5 minutes, this means theres LOTS of photos of half finished things on the layout. Overall I am pleased with the way its looking but I,m not looking forward to dismantling & moving the nice cosy shed I've just insulated/lined/shelved out!.

Firstly I properly wired up 1 lane of the traverser/fiddle yard, then I wired in led's to show the state of each isolated section, i will wire point route indicators next time I feel like wiring

Traverser track

Route "live" indication

Then I built another loco, its on the left in the next picture, its a Springside kit on a heavily cut-down dapol "pug" chassis

Next I had my first "PROPER" go at doing a rock-face, I'm pretty pleased with it, I used finishing plaster with poster paint mixed in, then used the "tin-foil" method on the wet plaster. When dry I applied a few black/dk brown 'washes' over it.

The full run of rocks here,

This made me turn then to more "greenery", this is the 'loco-service' area with water coal/crane etc...

And the same area but from afar showing more of the layout progressing

Next came my favourite part of it all...Scratchbuilding. I made a second workshop/shed building on the left in the next photo

to the right is the Blacksmiths shop, scratchbuilt once again and I ordered some whitemetal parts to detail this buildings interior

The last photo shows the forge centrepiece, I am going to fit an led to the hearth to hopefully give a nice red glow from beneath some coals, lots of detail here with the bench, vice & tools, "Smithy" will look better with the plywood under his feet removed!!!, but this is my first proper bit of large gauge figure painting too, I now think its much easier in O gauge than OO to actually paint details but its more unforgiving at showing up your mistakes too.

Last few piccies for now just show "in progress" shots of the 2nd workshop hopefully will help people to have a go at scratchbuilding,

A tidy organised workplace is the key to scratchbuilding?????

Next post I might actually have FINISHED something???

Enjoy,

Charlie

Clifton009

Postby Clifton009 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:28 pm

Sorry to hear about your knee Charlie :(

The layout is looking great. The details you have added are brill :D

I like the little green diesel loco.

TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Postby TerryB » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:10 pm

Hi Charlie ...........I've just taken the time to read your thread.
Theres some nice scratchbuilt stuff on your layout [its given me a few ideas re. a "N"/"009" narrow guage "bit o' scenery" which I'm currently struggling to come up with any ideas for on my own "00"/"Dublo" layout.]
One question? ........Why the "Troysdale" name? ......... [the reason I ask,is because I belong to a nationwide "Classic Car Club" .......and the Yorkshire branch is known as TROY ...."The Ridings Of Yorkshire" branch.]

best regards
Terry
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Hi Terry, the name's because my 12 year old son is called Troy ( it was a rare name back then). the first layout we started together was given the Troysdale name, and as we have not yet ever finished a layout, the name still carries on.My 2 year-old daughters called Grace so I suspect another layout name is in there somewhere?.

Jason, that litle diesel is a Bachman On30 loco, I need to do some cab-work to make it look like 0-16.5mm though.( I have some ideas...just need the inclination!!)

Charlie

davek

Postby davek » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:29 am

Fantastic little layout, with some excellent scratchbuilding! Keep up the great work Charlie.

santene

Postby santene » Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:34 pm

the is one great layout shame about you having to move and what youve just dne to the shed
proud modeller jake also known as Duke Jake the Bewildered of Mousehole by Sea :D

zabdiel

Postby zabdiel » Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:41 pm

I particularly like the loco service area and the new workshop. The forge is nice too.

DriffCharlie

troysdale gets populated..........

Postby DriffCharlie » Thu May 01, 2008 3:25 pm

troysdale gets populated..........
... Well only 4 people so far... but its a start??

These 2 drivers having a chat at the loco service area

The one on the left has had "shading/shadows added" via a few light washes of black/brown paint, whilst the figure on the right is "freshly painted".

The Blacksmith is now in his "working clothes" thanks to a combination of washes/dry-brushing, also done his workbench & some tools,

This chap is fresh from the paintbrush and looked OK on the layout from the usual distance but the photo shows I will have to re-do the eyes ( it must have been late last night when I knocked off!!!)

And the next three pics show my lack of ability to take good photos???, its either my limited camera or my limitations on knowledge/abilty to take a decent photo???

This one has focus on the trucks but nothing beyond,

this one the opposite rubbish foreground, but reasonable distance

and this one is just "average" all round

I have tried switching the camera between distance/close-up, flash/no-flash, resting it on a stand etc.. etc.. perhaps it may be my 8 year-old Fuji finepix 1.3 meg camera???

constructive critisism/assistance welcomed

Charlie

santene

Postby santene » Thu May 01, 2008 10:10 pm

nice people one thing though is the bases i would maby cut out a hold for them to sit in and paint over the base to match terrain

DriffCharlie

Postby DriffCharlie » Thu May 01, 2008 10:31 pm

Sorry Santene, I should have said those bases are pieces of ply I have glued to their feet to stand them so I can paint them :oops: :oops: , They will just pull-off when I want to permanently glue the figures down.

:roll: :roll: Charlie

santene

Postby santene » Sat May 03, 2008 9:54 pm

oo good even better i thought they where there pernamently :roll:

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”