"Troysdale" in 0-16.5mm .....almost a Micro !!!

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
DriffCharlie

Post by DriffCharlie »

leopard wrote:if you have space drop a small sector plate, or cassette thingy on your entrance road, otherise thats so close to perfect it hurts
Hopefully next week will see the traverser added to the left-hand side, I am planning on going to B & Queue...and queue...and queue.. Tommorrow for some drawer sliders to build it around.
dr5euss wrote:Good to hear your having fun, Charlie, the layout's shaping up and the stock looks great 8)

That's the Sonora Scale Models water tower, isn't it?
Hi George, yep thats the one, I'm sat up now painting the stone base, I immediately liked it as soon as I saw it..Have you got one/ built one??.

Charlie[/quote]
DriffCharlie

Post by DriffCharlie »

Time to start Scratch Building :shock: :shock: :shock:

I really need to get the platform and waiting shelter in next as They form the mainstay of the layout and everything else is "relative" to them if you follow.

I CAN'T model in card...I know ...I've tried in the past so it has to be plastic for me, also to complicate things further I want the platform to be TWO heights so I can run some lower Tram-style coaches/bug boxes' etc...,

So firstly a paper template was made in situ...

the dotted line shows the transition slope between the two platform levels.
Then a sheet of 1mm plastikard was cut to suit the platform area, sides were also cut and I also used scrap plasticard to cut LOTS of little triangles, I use them to stregthen any joints as I go along, I quite like this way of building models from scratch and they end up being VERY robust.

Work is started...

.. and now has progressed much further, you can hopefully make out the little triangular strengtheners :?: :?:

And the finished item from below..

And most importantly a view of it in situ...

Finally a view from the track & hopefully you can make out the slope between high/low platform levels.

Next job is to face the edges with stone embossed plastic and cover the platform surface ( I dont know what with yet :!: :!: ), And to build a "proper" waiting shelter..the white one was just a quick mock-up in foamboard to get some perpective on things.

Hope its not bored everyone to bits... :idea: :idea:

Charlie
redline41190

Post by redline41190 »

I love it :D you've inspired me to go back to my O 16.5 layout and make a little thing to play with :wink:

Can we get more picutres of your rolling stock? I'd like to see that other little red engine up close. Is it another porter conversion? looks neat though :)
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Oops

Duplicate post

Sorry! :oops:
Last edited by Infrontcat on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

That looks like a very tidy and sturdy piece of work. Just shows what a little thought and effort can produce with little expense. Great stuff

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
DriffCharlie

Post by DriffCharlie »

A little more progress this weekend, as you may remember the water tower last week looked like this

Well, I managed to fit all the pipework & valves/taps,fit the ventilated roof, gave the metalwork a "roughing-in" coat of paint and almost finished the paint to the stonework, it now looks like this...

I then started the station area, mainly the engine shed and the waiting room/shelter, here are the "in-progress" shots, showing its my usual method of 1mm Plastikard with scraps internally to strengthen/brace, then a "finish" layer of a suitable embossed plastic layer..

...The engine shed

... the waiting shelter..

The shelter having a wide open doorway made me realize that in this scale I han going to have to detail some interior so this building has the stone texture on both sides of the plastikard.

And below, here they are "in-situ"

...and again...

Image.

I decided to "turn" the waiting sheter through 90deg as otherwise all 3 of my buildings would have had the apex of their roofs all facing the same way ( it seemed "weird" and very unlikely to me :?: :?: :?: )

Just LOTS of finishing/detailing to do to these still :roll: :roll: :roll:

Hopefully more soon.....

Charlie
mpeffers

Post by mpeffers »

You could try replacing the apex with a just a single slope going away from the front - I believe this was common for small shelters too.
Matt

Clifton009

Post by Clifton009 »

Just catching up on this charlie.

The buildings look good, very neatly done. I especially like the detail on the water tower. The little taps / valves look great :D

Look foward to seeing the buildings painted.
DriffCharlie

Post by DriffCharlie »

Got the nightmare of ballasting out of the way this eve, used up lots of leftover bits, large grey, small grey,some brown and some ash, slowly added more and more ash to the mix , the nearer it got to the engine shed/coal/water the more ash I added to the mix, seems to look Ok and I can always dry-brush/airbrush any more detail as needed,

looking along the layout

from above...

and again...

Image.

Charlie
dr5euss

Post by dr5euss »

Last edited by dr5euss on Sun May 22, 2016 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Hi Charlie

Gotta say I am evermore impressed with yourefforts (must be pretty good if George is impressed, eh mate? ;) )

The ballasting looks superb and the buildings all look very well made. They're gonna look great with a lick of paint or two :)

Cheers

Tim

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
DriffCharlie

Post by DriffCharlie »

Thanks guys really appreciate the comments, its such a long time since I did any "modelling", but although its much harder to see now, it seems my antiquated methods still appear to work :shock: :shock: , My model car racing is all about "engineering" rather than "modelling so its making a welcome change at the moment. Currently working on some half relief shops/houses for the backscene now.

Charlie
DriffCharlie

Post by DriffCharlie »

House building today!!! Eat your heart out Barratts!!!!

My daughter was at playgroup this morning so I seized the opportunity. At the rear left of the layout I always intended a road/houses/shop scene. So I went into "production-line" mode and made up 3 skeleton, low releif properties to go against the backdrop. They are the same shell on all 3 but the last one I altered the lower window to allow it to become the local "corner-shop"

As you can see my by now "standard" construction method, the one on the left is all sanded & prepared ready for the stone sheet to be added, also visible are the room dividing strips, I do this for 2 reasons firstly it obviously adds strength but mainly I do it just incase I decide to add lighting to the houses, Whilst i really like to see model buildings with illumination, one of my "pet-hates" is to see evry room in the house lit up the same ( it just doesnt look right???) this way only certain rooms will be lit making for a more beleivable scenario.

another view this time of the outside

Now to further complicate matters I am concerned everything on the layout looks FLAT, so I am using this row of buildings to allow the road to slope down a gradient, should brake up the "everything-on-one-level" perception.

So next is to make up 3 differing height bases before gluing them all together to form a terraced block. Should have that done tonight so more to follow...

Enjoy,
Charlie
DriffCharlie

Post by DriffCharlie »

As stated above the buildings are now glued together into a staggered , terraced row of houses, Also managed to cover a couple of them in textured plastikard :D :D :D....

The white line is only masking tape showing roughly proposed footpath level so I can make some front doorsteps....

...hope it "inspires" others to scratchbuild :?: :?: :?:

Charlie