Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Rammy

Chadwood - Modern 00 loft layout

Post by Rammy »

Hi all
After reading lots of your posts I have finally started playing around and trying to work out my first ever layout. I finally have some loft space to use and I am busy trying to see what I can get out of all of my old track I already own whilst accepting that I will have to buy some more.
Here is the space I have ...
and this is my first layout attempt ...
and my existing trains ...

My current proposal is to run the Intercity 125 around the outer track, fitting a station in somewhere, whilst the Class 31 ?? will run around the inner circuit with access to the sidings on the right.
I want to incorporate some of the card models I have previously built if possible. Any ideas where they could go? Maybe a tunnel or hills somewhere?
Any suggestions / comments would be much appreciated.

Dave[/img]
Last edited by Rammy on Fri May 06, 2011 11:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.
headshot119

Post by headshot119 »

Nice intercity 125, I have the same model. The large straight section would be a good place for a town scene, maybe made up of your card kits.
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

I would say you want at least one pair of crossovers between the two tracks, probably on the back staright.
joshing_man

Post by joshing_man »

Nice space. I think you may want more sidings/shunting yard as you will likely tire of the tailchasing circuit fairly quick. Also can you reach all parts of the LHS as any derailments could be tricky to get to?

Hills/tunnels/cuttings will add to the scenic enjoyment.

Andrew
The Original Smiling Man With Train (SMWT):
stuartpalmer

Post by stuartpalmer »

It depends what you want to get from your railway in operational terms: if you just want to watch trains, then the simple circuits will allow you to sit back and enjoy them running. But if you want more involvement - some shunting, loco changing, some place to store a spare train or two, then you will need to think about inlcuding some sidings or loops. It's worth spending some time thinking about this aspect before you commit to a track plan.

One point of detail - your plan includes "first radius" curves - be aware that some modern locos and coaches won't go round a curve that tight.
Rammy

Post by Rammy »

stuartpalmer wrote:One point of detail - your plan includes "first radius" curves - be aware that some modern locos and coaches won't go round a curve that tight.
Do I really need to remove all first radius curves? This could be a major change to my plans to get larger radius curves in.

Also, if I start putting crossovers in, do I then need to go to DCC or just careful wiring / insulators?
stuartpalmer

Post by stuartpalmer »

Don't mean to scare you about the first radius curves. But take a look through the Hornby catalogue and see which items are marked as "suitable for second radius curves and above" - generally it's the longer vehicles such as Mk3 coaches which have the problem, shorter ones such as the Mk1s are generally OK. If you think you might want to run longer vehicles in future, you may as well face the problem now before you commit to a track plan or start building scenery - if you're willing to live with the limitations of 1st radius on your future purchases, then there's no need to worry.

It's perfectly possible to run a layout with crossovers on analogue control. You may not need special wiring at all. For example, if you put the train on your inner circuit into a siding with self-isolating points, you can then open up your crossover and use either the inner circuit or the outer circuit controller (but not both at the same time) to cross another train over from outer to inner circuit. Re-close the crossover and away you go!
zabdiel

Post by zabdiel »

Rammy wrote:Do I really need to remove all first radius curves?
You might be able to just remove the ones on the outer loop - the bit where it's 4 track and the outer loop is on the inside if you see what I mean. Then you'd have one loop you could run modern trains n if you wanted to.
leon

Post by leon »

hey pal i have a loft just like yours and i'm stating my plan for a layout have you anymore pics on your progress pls that i could nose at
Zanziba

Post by Zanziba »

My curves are pretty tight, I don;t run modern trains so not a huge problem but I do have difficulty getting my Flying Scotsman round. I think it is the 8 wheel tender so I am toying with the idea of changing it's wheels and see if that helps.
Rammy

Post by Rammy »

leon wrote:hey pal i have a loft just like yours and i'm stating my plan for a layout have you anymore pics on your progress pls that i could nose at
Hi Leon
Progress has been a little slow recently due to xmas with a 3 & 5 year old!
I have re-laid the track with a slightly different configuration, although keeping the first radius curves at the moment. I've been busy buying 2nd hand track off ebay to fill in all of the gaps, and must admit I have been very pleased (or lucky) with my purchases so far.
I've also got hold of a copy of Hornby Virtual Railway 2 which really gives me an idea of what is achievable in the space I have and what my layout could look like with the trains running.
I will post some more pictures as things start to progress along.
Thanks for the interest

Dave
Rammy

Post by Rammy »

Been up in the loft today reviewing the layout and, following some posts I have seen on this forum, I have started to consider a totally different layout. I am now thinking whether I should make the above plan into a square by fixing a panel that could be hinged to the bottom edge. This way I could reduce the current width of each side to stay within the beams and could have a 2 line track all the way round branching off to a station complex at the top and some sidings on the left.
My main concern is how hard is it going to be to get a reliable track over a hinged panel? I've seen a few ideas on here but would it be worth the extra hassle?
I'll post some layouts when I've had a play with HVR2 or Winrail later.

Dave
Ironduke

Post by Ironduke »

Lots of people successfully use hinged panels or removable sections. You could build it a bit higher (with gradients leading to it) so you can just crawl under it when you can't be bothered opening it.
Regards
Rob
Rammy

Post by Rammy »

After much deliberation , here the start of my new plan.
The bottom area (where the maintenance depot will be) will eventually / hopefully be a hinged panel allowing easier access.
I have tried to add a bit more interest, i.e. more sidings for playing around in. Also now I have decided to go for the square shape it makes it a lot easier to get more in as I'm not restricted by the semi-circle return curves. It also lets me eliminate 1st radius.
After reading lot's of posts on here I am now considering purchasing a Dynamis DCC controller from the start as i feel it make the layout a bit more future-proof and will give me more options for future development.
Any thoughts or comments would be much appreciated.

thanks
Dave

P.S. Being a newbie, did I post this in the wrong place originally? Should it have gone into personal layouts? If so, please feel free to move it.
headshot119

Post by headshot119 »

What are your board sizes, I'll see if I can knock up a plan for you. Although the second one you have done is pretty good.