Snuffles Street

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:50 pm

Ok more progress, Now Have a small hut for the shunter to hide in, partly assembled a dapol kit. the coal hut etc won't feature here.

got some green paint so the signal box door is painted and the signal has a green lens. some brick red so the walls can be painted.

and some plastic to scratch build a station building..

god help me..

leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:26 pm

busy week.. got a rough idea for the station building now, and hope to make a start this week..

chrisalddin

Postby chrisalddin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:34 pm

looks good so far
This Hobby is going to make me pennyless :wink: :roll:
My layout. Lots of work done update 29/2/2008 New img's!

leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:00 pm

work in the goods yard.

New warehouse designed, built & installed. paintwork is just the base colours currently, needs the wash & detailing adding. and some 'stuff' on the platform

Overview, showing some of the detailing on the retaining wall, it needs more though. also showing the new and as yet unpainted goods platform, needs a crane me thinks.

looking down from the platform road towards the yard, tracks now fully painted, most ballasting complete, showing the small shunter's hut.

closeup of the yard

the effects of a flash at close range.

the goods yard is more of less complete, needs a yard crane and some clutter adding, and naturally more paint. track is finished more or less, the rest of the ballast will go down once the platform is painted and fixed into place.

just need to finish the signal box, and build a station building. the white in the foreground is the polystyrene waiting some filler to form a gentle hill.

things moving on, slowly but getting there, still got about 24" of retaining wall to paint though. it looks good but painting bricks is dull

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:14 pm

Great work there leopard as usual! I love what you have done with painting the track and the ballasting is great!

The warehouse looks superb and does look the part!

Great work, keep it up! :D
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:16 pm

got some scatter to use on the ballast, grassy bits, just not putting it down till i've finished mucking about with the walls.

the ballast in the goods yard looks a bit odd since its still got wet glue on it, does need weathering a bit, ink wash then dry brush pale grey to weather it.

seriously wish i'd painted the trackbed before pinning the track down, also wish I've used peco track since the hornby black sleepers look a tad daft, so i think they will need painting.. very dark brown, then weathered.

mind you the sleepers need painting anyway, got a bit too much 'rust' on them.

amazing how long its taken to get the track more or less finished... and this is only a plank

Chuffer Chuff

Postby Chuffer Chuff » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:21 am

Good work, yes I would have said you should have used PECO track, i think it is of a better quality and the contacts are better (I hate the Hornby fish plates). :wink:
"You only get one chance in life, so make the most of it!"

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:49 pm

normally would have used PECO, without a doubt, the concept for this layout however was small and cheap.

hence I used the Hornby stuff left over from sets, that would otherwise have gone to waist.

seriously hate the Hornby points now, though here it is very low speed running so its a not a problem.

the first attempt at this layout, in EM had more complex point work, the advantage of making it ones self.

if I were to start again I'd use hand made track and get three sidings (would mean loosing the goods platform to low relief) and get an inglenook off the station.

electrically it worked fine before painting, not actually tried it since.

my working controller is nailed to the wall the other side of the loft. I will sort that out at some point.

but Peco is miles better, especially the streamline stuff, a decent 6' to start with

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:39 pm

signal box now has a roof, some outside boards still need painting and a sign to add, but it looks better now. also started painting the warehouse bricks & base coated the brick walls for the goods platform.

finally got round to starting to paint the Dapol people I have. wasn't impressed with the pug but the people are pretty good, a bit of flash to get rid of but for £4 for 36 you can populate a platform reasonably cheaply. still a fair way to go on them but its getting there.

this lot should allow a good 20 people waiting on the platform, need to get a seat or two as well

leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:52 pm

updated

Station throat, showing close to completion signal box, the little shunters hut has grown a retaining wall, not yet completed, for the eventual hill.

[img]http://www.aleopardstail.com/stuff/DSC00261.JPG[/img

Goods yard area, a 10t van awaits unloading at the warehouse, while an old cattle wagon sits at the loading dock. brake van sat awaiting marshalling.

grass has started to grow around here as well, obviously the lack of people means theres no one to cut it.

also made a start on the station building, but thats in a seperate thread under 'scenery' for now

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:11 pm

Fantasic work there well done, the 'plank' is coming along nicely, because you have the track diagonal it creates an illusion and makes it look bigger than it really is!

All the best.

Rhys

leopard

Postby leopard » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:47 pm

its actually not bad for 48"x12" the diagonal bit defiantly makes a difference, not so much to the main track length, but to the sidings, since the have less curves required to straighten out.

note this is Hornby track, peco streamline would have got three sidings and made an inglenook, which would have been better.

I did start this in EM, which would have also had three sidings, and a run round (custom points allow basically anything) but gave up due to problems with 18" curves.

to say this was just a little test layout its taken an age to get this far.

but i'm happy with it

leopard

Postby leopard » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:13 pm

doing some plastering in the kitchen, as you do, so finally got the hill coated with plaster, off to B&Q later int he week for various kitchen type bits. can see a matchpot coming home with me.

this is going to make a huge difference, also filled in the bit behind the platform where the new station building will go, that will need going over with a fine filler to actually level it off but the bulk of its now done, so the station approach will be level with the platform which I like.

no other progress to report as yet.

getting to the point where i'm considering what comes after this little plank.

Terrier

Postby Terrier » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:39 pm

Ey Up! good work in progress there, i like the narrow loading platform and the big green doors! very interesting stuff!

Good luck with the kitchen to! :D remember to save some of the plaster for your layout lol! :wink:

leopard

progress

Postby leopard » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:53 pm

Well I got the hill done, thanks to everyone who replied to the post on the base colour to use. method is posted there.

the result...

Looking towards the goods yard, the little retaining wall with the shunter's hut behind it hiding behind the now green hill. note the signal box is now finished

looking the other way, part finished station building in place

ground height view up the line, showing the slightly rough hill.

needs some lichen, maybe a fence and possibly a tree or two.

progress, starting not to look like a plank now.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”