NRM Review - Bachmann Class 20 sound review

Articles which have been added to the main site
peak

NRM Review - Bachmann Class 20 sound review

Post by peak »

Class 20 sound review
Bachmann Class 20 with factory fitted sound.
No 20 129
BR Blue
Cost £115 from my local model railway shop.

First impressions.
The model comes in a standard Bachmann box, which protects the model from damage.
The packaging is easerly removed without damage to the model.
Included in the box were,
1. Instruction sheet.
2. Additional parts. Couplings, pipes etc.
3. DCC instruction sheet
4. Loco history on cover card.

A quick look over the model proves it is very finely detailed with separately fitted handrails.
Bogies and underframes are also finely detailed.
The model has route indicator displays fitted.
The model is finished in rail blue with labels clearly printed, as are the numbers. A strange thing in my view is that the handles on the engine access doors are picked out in silver with a silver square at one end, it just looks odd to me!

The loco has drive to all wheels and also pickups to all wheels.

There are no lights fitted to this model which is a let down as I think all loco’s should have them fitted these days. Other manufacture’s do so why not Bachmann?

The loco’s performance is smooth and quite with excellent slow speed response.
The loco easily coped with nine Bachmann Mrk 1s even up my gradients.

The big selling point with this model is the sound!
Out of the box the sound is very loud, but you can adjust the volume by playing with the CV’s.
Select F1 on your digital controller and the loco will go through it’s start up sequence and after a short while the engine will burst into life. Giving to my ears a convincing rendition of a class 20 ticking over. Drive the loco away and the engine will rev up to full power, cut back the power and the engine will slow to coasting tick over. Stopping the loco will activate the brake squeal. Selecting F2 or 3 will sound the horn. F4 blows air off. F5 buffering up sound. F6 coupling sound and F7 selects yard speed. Deselect F1 and the loco will go though a shut down sequence.

I have fitted the pipes etc to one end of the loco (This is quite a fidderly task but well worth the effort. These items need to painted by the owner.) and the small coupling to the other.

Over all I would give this model 9 out of 10. It is let down by not having lights fitted.
This model has given me more fun than any non-sound fitted loco, so that has to be a positive thing!

I now have 2 of these loco’s. That I run as a pair, which is how I remember them in real life.
When the loco’s are run as a consist they are a joy to behold! As they accelerate the sound in both loco’s reacts just slightly out of time with each other thus both loco’s can be heard at work! The same applies when slowing. The only problem I have is that both loco’s have the same number!

Pictures of the loco,s will be found on the “personnel layouts” section of this forum look for “Slightly”.

2 trains, 2 railroad tracks, one going the other one coming back. Click Clack, Click Clack.
Regards
Andy

http://www.brblue.co.uk