Flying Scotsman Review

Enter this forum if you wish to help the growth of New Railway Modellers.
bunji

Post by bunji »

dr5euss wrote:I emailed Hornby and it's actually got the new all singing, all dancing 08 in it. I guess the similarity comes from the fact they both have 6 wheels :wink:
Sorry, should have clarified:

Odd looking chassis

Nice looking chassis
dr5euss wrote:It's actually cheaper to buy things in a set, though I don't know why. You get 3 (crappy?) coaches, a crappy loco, 2 crappy points, some crappy track and an average controller.... :)
Precisely my point. With the set aimed at first time buyers who dont know the value of Hornby's well loved (he says, tongue in cheek) track, it could seem like a bargain. Hornby could make a tidy bundle.
Andrew Morrow

Post by Andrew Morrow »

I was sucked into buying the set! but luckly for me the train died after a few days and I was sent the newer version of the train, its the loco drive scotsman, I dont know anything about details but all i will say is the train runs much much better Hornby points are no longer a problem, as long as the track is layed right I have had no problems.
leopard

Post by leopard »

I actually got the older version of this set, with four coaches.

yes its tender drive.. this matters why exactly? as for no power, well I have a total of 13 coaches, it manages that lot ok so it can move.

detailing? well I don't have much to compare it to, but i bought it to move not look at so I'm not that bothered.

for the price (130) it got me the loco, a bit of track, a controller and some coaches.

and enough points to tell me I don't like the hornby ones (don't like the look they work fine).

the only let down is the coaches being a ploastic colour and no a teak colour (I'll be repainting them). given i got a 10% discount when I got this, and the rest of the coaches new and unboxed for a tenner each along with a second loco for a tenner I'm not complaining.

the fun will be re-wheeling it to P4 standards..

I doubt it will ever be the best looking loco i have, once i have a few more, but as a set I'm happy with it
Peanuts

Post by Peanuts »

http://www.ifranview.com its free, and works wonders with pics
redline41190

Post by redline41190 »

just to echo...
I have noticed that the sets that hornby offers are of a lesser standard than Bachmann, which is why all of my locos and stock are Bachmann :D. Ive had a look at some of the individual locos too, and they are not great either, the Castle class' valve gear is plastic! (I think :?) seems kinda iffy to me... alot of their locos are loud, and the tender drive is definitely a down side. Ive got a Thomas 0-6-0 from 1992 and while it is one of the best engines ive owned it has also been the loudest. But I guess its to be expected in this age of rising prices and worse quality :P

just my two cents

Jeremy
There are two ways to do things... The Great Western way, and the wrong way.
PTmodeller

Post by PTmodeller »

Bachmann uses it's real range in sets, while Hornby tend to use older toolings. The sets are toys really.