Calison Halt:- N-gauge to go above OO gauge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
Philip.E.Thomas

Post by Philip.E.Thomas »

Quality fella
Phillip. E. Thomas was the first President of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad, the first real Railroad in the USA.

http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... php?t=6037
My layout thread
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

Thanks guys for all the comments!

Tim, the cows are a running joke with the wife and my dad! We bought some for his layout taking the P**s, he did the same for me!

George, It was very tempting to switch to N-gauge!! it wasn't the idea behind it doing it though, I really had to keep saying that!

Southernboy, I will carry the ballast on a little more just to finish it off a little better.
It's downsatirs at the moment and I've taken over the kitchen, dinning room and the sparebedroom with my train stuff, I'm sure the wife will be kicking me out soon!

Lofty, I thought exactly the same when I started, it looked nothing, when just the track is on the board, it's just amazing how a few items can transform a layout.
I would recommend it to any new starter in the hobby to try a very small simple layout first, then work up to bigger and better things, gives great experience with the scenic side of things as well.

As for wire wrapping, well it is a known form of connection, not quite like I've done it but this is how it should be done:-

Wire wrapping

Raider, I know what you mean about the back scene it did look better than that when I first did it, as it's dried it's creased and looks a bit crap, was wondering if I could take the backscene and re-do it, may destroy everything now though, if I try.
When it's in it's final position it maybe less noticeable will have to see.

Ironduke, Yep I think I must be mad, but at least I can actually see some progress with this layout, the OO seems to have come to a grinding halt. Hopefully this should kick start me into getting more of the OO layout done.

Tinsleytmd, yes ALL buildings are Scalescenes.

Some advice please, what colour brickwork should I get the retaining walls and tunnel portals in to go around the edge of this layout?

I was going to use the dark red same as the arches in the picture below, not sure though, what do you think?

Will keep you all updated as and when I get more done, thanks again for all the comments, keeps me motivated!

Thanks

Ian
B@rney

Scalescenes Arches

Post by B@rney »

Looking good,

Quick question, how did you get on cutting the edge bricks to go round the inside of the arches? I had a go at the weekend and to behonest it looked pants. but from a distance yours looks good.
Any adivce??
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

B@rney,

In OO gauge I cut out each individual brick.

In the N-gauge as shown on the bridges I glued the cover sheet(the one with the brick pattern) to the arch former, this leaves the edge bricks over hanging.
I left this to dry and then used small scissors to snip every 3-4 edge bricks upto the edge of the arch former.
Takes a while, but it does look better than not doing it!

I will try and get some pics of the OO bridge that I'm half way through making as it's the same principle.

Ian
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

B@rney,

Here is how I do the brick edges on the arches:-

Brick cover layer glued to arch former and left to dry, while it's still wet I shape it to the arch and wedge it in there while it dries, this gives it the rough shape.

Edge bricks cut out, this is OO gauge so I try and cut each individual brick out, if it were N I'd cut out blocks of 3-4.

Arch former glued into arch front face and left to dry.

All finished, just needs the coats of varnish.

I've not used the side wings, as this will be used round the N-gauge layout.
Butted up to this will be the retaining walls, which should all line up nicely!

Hope this helps

Ian
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

That is an excellent mini-tutorial Ian! You have shown that simple can be effective and, perhaps more importantly, that you can get a tremendous effect at relatively little cost :)

Very impressed! 10/10

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
waz

Post by waz »

That's great work Ian !!!!!!!! Looks a treat.

Thanks for shairing.

My Best Regards

BILL.
Taw Valley

Post by Taw Valley »

After looking at the whole topic . i must say WOW . that little n guage layout looks brilliant . will the points be motorised or just using your hand?

also i'm sure a small layout like that doesnt need nasa tecnoligy . hehehe

defently 10 / 10
wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

I've moved the layout upstairs now just to give me an idea on the tunnel portals and retaining wall.

Made a start, but may re-do the walls not really that impressed, so glad I can just print them off!

Over the Bank holiday weekend made the engine shed.
Scalescenes dont actually have a kit for a single road engine shed, but the north light roofs are very similar on the warehouse, and only single road wide.....sounds like a plan!!

Yep, I robbed the roof and windows off the warehouse and used the original side panels from the engins shed.

It's turned out better than I thought it would, just needs a few coates of artisits matt varnish, then I can finish off the scenery detail around it!

Not that much left to do now............Mmmm!

Where can I get a station sign?
I can print off the station name but want a sign post that I can glue the name to. It will be standing on the platform. Hope you can help!

Ian
edwardholmes91

Post by edwardholmes91 »

wiggy25

Post by wiggy25 »

Have done a bit more now!

Edward thanks for the link the signs look great, just need to get a sign post to glue them on!

The coin is a 5pence!

The bare board will be where the signal box is going to be put once I've designed and built it!

Not happy the backscene has gone to crap. As the photo has dried it's creased and looks rubbish, can't remove it now without damaging the whole layout, once it's on the main OO layout it shouldn't be that bad as it wont be seen straight on....will know for next time!!

The front right hand corner is static grass and has come out really well, just got to finish off my trees and glue them into position.
This couls so easily turn into an industrial scene, by removing the bridges and making the warehouse a one side low profile wall, I could have used the openings for the locos to go through.......mmmm maybe on the other side of the layout, but in OO.......thats got me thinking!

The ploughed field was done using earth scatter then running over it with a fork for the furrows, spray with watered down PVA which should hold the position.

Ian
Taff

Post by Taff »

Real nice work. Inspires me to get down to the huge retaining wall I need to build.