Dynamite25's OO loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

I have checked afew online timber merchants but they were far dearer than wickes was and the shed is being built in sections so it easier to erect,i am using 2x1 for the frame 2x2 for the floor and the roof,OSB boards for the floor and roof and 14mm T&G for the sides.We will be using 3x2 paving slabs for the base the shed will have 6 small windows and double doors on the front.
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Well heres my track plan i have added it to my main layout to show what it will be like as one layout.Also the modular layout will be 80mm higher than the main layout as it will join the upper tracks on the main layout.

I also need to put the return incline on there from the upper level.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/ ... layout.jpg
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Also just found out that i can only fit about 11ft and not 12ft in the bedroom as my other layout is in the way and i can't move it anywhere else until the shed is built,so it might be back to the drawing board to come up with something else to fit on there or i might just leave it all together till my shed is built.
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Been a change of plan as my review is up in january for my Incapacity Benefit i might lose my money if i no longer qualify for it which i know i still do,but they might decide i don't any more so that means i won't be having my shed for my layout and it will have to stay in bits.

So now i am going to build a 10x6 modular layout instead of building an add-on modular layout for my main layout and i will spend the money on the 10x6 layout,but if i do still qualify for it i will get my shed and have my big layout in there but carry on the same design i started with in the begining but still have this 10x6.

So i will have a layout to work on when it is summer in the shed and one when winter comes in my bedroom.
Puff the magic dragon

Post by Puff the magic dragon »

Don't change your plans Dynamite, think positive, good luck with your reassessment
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

What i mean by change of plans is i was going to build a modular layout that would connect to my main layout when the shed was built which would be 16x7 L-Shaped, but i could only use 11ft of the layout in my bedroom and it would take all the room in the shed with the main layout if the shed gets built and i hate end-to-end layout.

so i decide to keep my main layout the size it is so i have more room in the shed but also build a smaller 10x6 layout that i can use in my bedroom if it is to cold outside for me to work on the bigger layout and can be dismantled and stored easily in my bedroom.
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

This is the area i will have which is 10x6 and is made up of six 4x2 boards with a 6x2 gap in the middle and all track will be cut at baseboard joins so it can be stored away when not in use as it will be over my bed when i use it,i want a 2 mainline layout with some sidings and a through station and also a small diesel depot to house 3 or 4 locos i have been looking to see what i can find but haven't yet.The points i have are 14 R/H and 4 L/H i have plenty of straights and curves.

I am also trying to come up with one on my HVR2 program but is a slow process if anyone can give me any help in designing one with the track i have available to me i would be very grateful for the help.

Heres a pic of the baseboard layout

Also when i start it i will start another thread on it.
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Or i could do the baseboards like this which are 3x2 and 8 in total.

dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Since mike joined the forum and said he was starting with the hornby track mat and the Grand terminus station,it gave me an idea to try it on the hornby HVR2 program but slightly change the way it connects together so heres the track plan i did on the hornby HVR2 program.

The track mat has been extended to 8ft and the station to 10ft tell me what you guys think of it.Also the square gap on one end is where the small town would go.
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Here's another track plan i did today its in 6 sections tell me what you think of it,the black round circle is the turntable.

Pete

Post by Pete »

dynamite

A nice looking layout, wish I had the space you've got/will have.

Just a question, you have a turntable, will it ever in practice get used?, as your only running loops there seems to be no reason why a loco will have to be turned. The sheds to the left of the turntable imply the locos will normally point from left to right, describing a clockwise loop, to run a steam loco in the other direction would seem to require a tortuous tender first manouvre from the turntable to the main line.
Please dont take this as a crticizm, I have little knowledge of operational procedures, so would be interested to know if this is the case. I know on my layout I have to compromise to run my bigger locos (particularly my class 39) and drive them tender first on the return trips. Some German locos were designed to do this, is it the same with British locos?

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

If i do go with the last track plan which i haven't decided yet on the other side of the turntable there will be 3 more steam loco sheds which i didn't put on,as the black circle i had to put on in paint as the program doesn't have a turntable yet so i couldn't put the other loco sheds on there.
Pete

Post by Pete »

Hi

I appreciate you haven't finalised your design, but what sort of scenery you intending to have?

I take it your not particularly into shunting?

Pete
It's the nature of evolution
The dinosaurs went to Hell
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Not sure on the scenery yet and i am more into the running of trains more than shunting really,but i will have some shunting on my bigger layout when i get my shed.
dynamite25

Post by dynamite25 »

Well i have decided to go with the last track plan i did as i can extend it in two ways also i have added a siding for my crane and i have added the off tracks for the turntable.I'll properly add more as i start to build it.