Moel Eilio - OO9

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
British Rail

Postby British Rail » Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:57 pm

Excellent pics as always CO. Your layout is coming along nicely 8)

Kindest Regards

Rhys

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:21 pm

I've now posted off my order to Worsley Works for the window frames I need for my kit-bash signal box..., oh and the parts for an Ashbury summer coach too.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:49 pm

Okay, some action:

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:56 pm

Nice, CO, thank you for that.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sun Jun 17, 2007 2:01 pm

Excellent video! I enjoyed all 4:10 minutes 8) My only critiscm would be that the trains were not ran in a realistic way but apart from that everything was top notch 8)

Kindest Regards,

Rhys

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:31 pm

British Rail wrote:Excellent video! I enjoyed all 4:10 minutes 8) My only critiscm would be that the trains were not ran in a realistic way but apart from that everything was top notch 8)

Kindest Regards,

Rhys

:lol:

I assume you refer to the break-neck speeds, and Gowrie pushing its train out of the station backwards at the end. 'twas a spur of the moment decision to make the video and the point-blades weren't as clean as they should be for slow speed running - basically laziness and impatience on my part!!

British Rail

Postby British Rail » Sun Jun 17, 2007 3:45 pm

No worries :lol:

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:30 am

I've spent the last few days slowly putting together my signal box, and I'm aiming to have the finished article resemble the one that used to stand at Dinas.

The clap-board sides on the model didn't go all the way up the sides of the building so I've had to carefully carve some additional boards into the plastic - not the greatest of jobs but hopefully these won't be too visible once the roof is on!

I've enlarged the windows and extended the moulded parts of the frame adding in new window sills, and I've super-glued the Worsley Works window frame edges in place. Glazing will be glued behind the window frames after they and the building interior have been painted.

I've started constructing a plinth for the building using off-cuts from the water tower that you can see in the pictures, and I'm currently deliberating as to whether to add in a hatch to access the interlocking chamber, using photos of the signal box on Peter Booth's excellent Dinas Ddu model as reference it would seem that there was a door under the stairs, however the plinth at Dinas was a bit taller meaning that this isn't necessarily the most sensible access point for my freelance version - I'll measure it up and see what the scale clearance would be, I can say "it's round the back" if need be!!

The pictures of Peter Booth's model also revealed some information that isn't immediately apparent from photos of the real life box - that the base frame of the signal box is butted up flush to the posts that go up vertically at the corners of the building, and this isn't the case with the Wills kit. So a good portion of the build time has been spent filing these down (and I suspect more time yet to come!).

Finally, I also ordered and received a Wills Signal Box Interior detailing kit. The instructions for this kit are excellent, and worth keeping after the model is complete because they give a great outline of what all the bits do, how they are laid out (and why), and what colours they should be. I knew pretty much nothing about signal boxes prior to buying this - and now I'm considering whether or not I need a distance signal to protect the approach to the station (well, the lever for one)!!! The bits of detailing will be assembled on the floor of the signal box prior to it being glued into up the building.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:45 pm

I've been having one of those periods where several things are going on at once. So my signal box interior is half completed, I've purchased a Langley double-Fairlie kit, I've started putting together my Dick Kerr petrol-electric, and started soldering "Prince" together (I'm currently drilling out handrail knobs which is very tedious). Oh, and my Ashbury summer coach kit arrived this morning.

Nothing completed basically!!

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:58 pm

I've just given "Prince" a first coat of primer. I've found one area of filling on the back of the cab that needs to be smoothed down further, so I'll do before proceeding.

Infrontcat

Postby Infrontcat » Fri Aug 10, 2007 12:34 am

Hi there CO

I somehow missed your last few posts and only just watched your video, which was a great watch :)

Do like your wee stable of iron horses ;) , esp the wee green fella! The layout is looking utterly lovely now. You can give yourself a pat on the back from me: I certainly look forward to seeing more as you progress further

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:30 pm

Thanks Tim. The "wee green fella" is one of Lilliput's old versions of the U class 0-6-2 tank, which I picked up at the Tolworth show a couple of years ago for £45. The black one is the new version of the same class of engine and is a much more detailed model, though both locos run just as well. My favourite of the three engines on show though is obviously "Gowrie" - 'cos I built it myself!!

:D

Prince update: some filling and filing has been done and another coat of paint has gone on. I have now got just one small dent near one of the spectacles that I'm debating about whether to fill. I might get away with it, but I'd know it was there and that would bug me. What to do...

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:03 pm

Here is a shot of "Prince", old and new together. I'll probably take the original one apart at some point and rebuild it on a Fleischman chassis as one of the other England engines.

Curious Orange

Postby Curious Orange » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:17 pm

Latest news from the Elgin Workshops.

The interior of 'Prince's cab has been painted, spectacle glazing inserted, and finally the cab floor soldered in place.

So now I'm on to painting the exterior of the loco, and a first coat of dark green has been applied. It'll probably need two or three more coats, and then I'll think about tackling the tricky job of applying black borders.

Appleton

Postby Appleton » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:02 pm

I love narrow-gauge layouts, might have a go at one myself someday. Very good job :)

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”