Frankland

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
SouthernBoy

Frankland

Post by SouthernBoy »

Hello,

I decided I should post an update on my layout - I'm afraid the images aren't brilliant because they're taken on my mobile phone, but they'll give a general indication of work-to-date.

If you're interested, this thread started October 2006 in 'Track and Layout Design' http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... sc&start=0

The layout is called Frankland, it's N gauge and sits on top of the single bed in my spare room. I'm using Peco code 80 flexitrack and electrofrog points. The theme is broadly Southern Railway / Southern Region somewhere in the suburbs of South London.

The main lines have been laid and partly ballasted and painted. The yard will be next and is slowly starting to take shape.
Scenery and buildings are to follow - but I have just made a backdrop to bring a bit of colour to proceedings.

Original Plan:
The basic plan remains much the same except the yard is going to change and I've added a bay platform to the main station (Frankland). There's going to be a lot more buildings too. Oh, and I'm going to add a small 'halt' top right.

Frame:
Open frame construction. It looks wonky in the picture for some reason - but isn't (!)

Baseboard:
A variation on Sundeala, 9mm. Here you can see my first tests of inclines with curves on. I spent a lot of time on this as I read inclines with curves are a big no-no. They're about 1:30 with minimum 12" radius. My maximum 5-carriage trains are quite happy with this.

General construction:
I cut away the baseboard from areas that didn't need it to reduce weight - and built higher levels using off-cuts of wood, baseboard and hardboard.
There are tunnels at both ends of the layout. I've over-engineered access to the tunnels to be on the safe side. You can't really see in the picture - but the trackbed over the tunnel on the left is supported by a hardboard section a little wider than the track, which sits on a 'slide-out' supporting shelf underneath on which removable scenery will be placed.

Frankland Station:
This is the main station area - the higher level track will run on a closed-arch viaduct behind the station. The foreground will be filled with platforms and station buildings.

In the distance the track will disappear under the High Street.

This viewpoint is from the High Street which will run over the railway at the eastern end of the Station. The piece of card in the centre represents roughly the position of the road which will run down from the High Street to the station.

Inclines:
At the back of the layout are two sets of inclines - one rising east, the other west. I've painted up a rough sky-blue backdrop and placed a couple of temporary (dodgy) buildings against it to start giving me a sense of scale and proportion to what I'm doing.

Yard:
I've started laying out the yard - which I think is going to be different to the original plan. The circular section of cardboard is where a gasometer will be.

And that's it for now - 7 months work - slow I know but both time and money are short for me. But I do find it enjoyable and relaxing. I'm looking forward to geting to grips with scenery - and also buying two more controllers, eventually I'll have cab control for three sections (2 main lines plus the yard).

Comments, questions and observations welcome ... !
TerryB
Location: Loftbrough Central [aka ....a spider infested loft in Rotherham]

Post by TerryB »

Hi Southernboy .........That looks ok to me .......lookin forward to seeing more of it ......and it makes a change too from the usual LNER/LMS/GWR layouts.
Terry
I know it's the fastest .....but why did they have to name it after a duck?
bevel_drive

Post by bevel_drive »

Hi SB, I'm a mere beginner to railway modelling, but I'd say your efforts had the making of a great layout.
As Terry said, good to see the Southern, and more important....great to see steam, rather than the same old 'modern image' blue diesel era :wink:
Excellent!
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

Doesn't matter how quickly or slowly it progresses mate, a lot of us have time and money constraints that limits things. The main thing is to take your time to do things properly and enjoy it in the process :wink:

Looks good so far anyway, keep us updated :)

Paul
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

This looks really good, you have made really interesting progress, keep the updates coming....

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

And another thing - if that's 21C123 in your Southern Railway pic up there then we saw it for real last week at the Bluebell Railway, some pics here:-

clicky

Paul
TomWebber

Post by TomWebber »

Hi SouthernBoy,
I really like the layout. It really demonstrates the possibilities of N gauge, as you've managed to fit a great layout/plan into a fairly compact space, without having that cluttered, train set look of some layouts - nice work!

I see you've used the double loop style, where the line goes up and over itself, effectivley giving double the run for your trains. I've also done the same on my layout. except its in 00 so it takes up a shed rather than a bed! :oops:

Nice choice to model. the spam cans look great on your layout, and that you are able to run quite long trains that look much more realistic.

Anyway, look forward to your progress, it almost makes me want to model N gauge!
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

TomWebber wrote: . . . it almost makes me want to model N gauge!

What ya mean "almost" ???? :P :lol:

Go on, you know you want to :wink:

Paul
Ijdagger

Post by Ijdagger »

That looks like its going to turn out brilliant, nice looking plan you got.
MrT

Post by MrT »

Looks like a cracking plan. Excellent pic of the plan too.
davek

Post by davek »

Great plan, nice to see the 'in progress' pics - keep them coming!
FishBowlMan

Post by FishBowlMan »

Agreed. You've made a great start. Lovely to see another steam layout too,

John.
There is no room inside a box.
Infrontcat

Post by Infrontcat »

Good stuff, SouthernBoy, like it :wink:

Cheers

Tim
"Kashi-mashi, kashi-mashi..."

Moorcroft (St Anthonys)
sishades

Post by sishades »

I like your plan. What did you use to produce it?
High towards the far post,Howard with a header,Hes done it!Steve Howard has scored for Leicester City,Bedlam here at the Walkers Stadium. the Leeds United players are flat out on the turf in utter despair. Leicester City are going to win again
Spavo

Post by Spavo »

It's all been said, I missed out, don't care though as this is looking brilliant and I agree with the lads that it is a nice change for you to be running Southern loco's and stock.

Sweeeeet,

Gav.
Watford FC For Me Since 1976