A use for 1/100 semi painted people

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Chops

A use for 1/100 semi painted people

Post by Chops »

british sotw people in coaches 006.JPG
So, I ordered these low scale figurines, come out of China, sort of dipped in a garish
pink, green, or orange, and they sat on my shelf for a while. I find that cutting off
their tiny legs, they fit nicely into these OO coaches. It took about 70 or so to fill
my seating arrangements, and they look pretty OK. The lurid colors don't scream out
as I feared they might, and look like so much confetti, but give some visual contrast
that makes them visible. I like. Now, one supposes, we could really push things to the limit
and install miniature LED's into the table lamps...and perhaps I could independently control the
on/off functions of the table lamps with DCC, with a computer interface, but this worked
out nicely. Only another fifteen coaches to go. Nail clippers work well for the amputations.
Nessie rocks!
Mountain

Re: A use for 1/100 semi painted people

Post by Mountain »

Brillient Chops. They look cool.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

It's a shame that the architectural industry, for who they are made, doesn't feature 1/75th in its range of normal scales. They've come along sixty years to late for the Triang TT system which at 3mm/foot was near as dammit 100th scale.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Chops

Post by Chops »

I did not know they were for the architectural industry, useful bit of info that. As for TT, I always
liked that scale, considered it the Goldilocks scale: not too big, not too small.
Nessie rocks!
Chops

Post by Chops »

http://www.tri-ang.co.uk/ind3.html
Someone found this link and sent it to me, I had virtually no knowledge of this interesting facet
of British model rail. Can anyone shed light as to why this failed so miserably? It would seem that
Triang bet a lot of money on this horse; a shame it never took off. For those operating on carpet,
the preformed road bed seemed ahead of its time.
Nessie rocks!
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

N. Gauge is what killed Triang TT, especially as the N gauge locos were better engineered than TT which had been largely scaled down versions of the 00 designs. It had an even worse scale/gauge error than 00 the rails scaling four feet zero apart. There's still a small band of devotees in the UK, many using a more correct 14.2mm gauge, and through the 3mm association there's a range of 3mm kits and parts. You are right about it being a Goldilocks scale. When you walk up to a TT layout at an exhibition, it always attracts a small group, always charmed and often intrigued as to the scale.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Alternatively. Triang made a fundamental error with TT. No Gresley and Stanier pacifics as initial offerings in the range. That's what people buying RTR wanted at the time, I remember two of my contemporaries who were otherwise very keen on its potential completely lost interest over that. In the early 1970s I got to know a retailer quite well, and he was of the same opinion. He thought it a great shame as the range of rolling stock was better than Triang's OO, and the overall quality of the product superior too.

UK N gauge had a rocky start. First came OOO, the Lone Star Treble-O-Lectric product. Two all wheel drive diesel models: with four rubber bands round the motor shaft, one per axle. Not terribly reliable, but I have seen it working: still live in the same area where it was manufactured, and a little show gets put on once in a while at the local museum. (I would have put in a link, but the site appears to be malfunctioning. A search on 'welwyn hatfield lone star' should find it when working...)

Then came N gauge using German mechanisms by Trix, branded 'Minitrix' which was distributed in the UK by ... Hornby.