Bluetooth DC Control.

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Mountain

Re: Bluetooth DC Control.

Post by Mountain »

It reminds me a bit about the way the Deltang radio control system works where the controller has to be paired with the receiver.
MickleoverTestTrack

Post by MickleoverTestTrack »

I like the idea of self containment for a garden railway. If I ever get around to putting a line around my garden I would limit the number of locos that can run on it and use bluetooth and on-board battery power to save reliance on the rails. Hopefully the implimentation will be a bit more advanced by then.
flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Post by flying scotsman123 »

MickleoverTestTrack wrote:I like the idea of self containment for a garden railway. If I ever get around to putting a line around my garden I would limit the number of locos that can run on it and use bluetooth and on-board battery power to save reliance on the rails. Hopefully the implimentation will be a bit more advanced by then.
I've been surprised how reliable contact is on the larger scales outside though. Even if I haven't run anything since last summer, the only thing I have to do is remove any leaves or other obstacles, plonk the loco on and off it goes. Track is a mixture of Peco and Piko.
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout. Workbench for other projects here.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Though I've never had it myself, I've been impressed with G scale in the ability to get track power, especially the budget locos with the track pickups. One model trainshop had one running on a shelf continually for two and a half years (At the time I saw it) and he never once cleaned the rails. He had the cheapie G scale four wheel loco that went back and fore on a shelf with a shuttle unit. It ran impressively quiet. It was a Gaugemaster shuttle unit so the loco would do a dead stop at either end. I couldn't believe it when he said it had done it for two and a half years!
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

Mountain wrote: I couldn't believe it when he said it had done it for two and a half years!
*The* motor block for that was the original Playmobil track powered unit (made by LGB)
Quiet and utterly reliable. Pick up on all four wheels plus two wipers (1 wheel with traction tyre)

I still have a few of those brand new pugged away.

However, if starting again in the garden I'd almost certainly go for battery power with 2.4 Ghz radio control.
The main reason being the sheer cost of metal rail points and track!

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

Bachmann announced this back in 2014 in collaboration with the manufacturer. I do not know what progress was made.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6xoL6NY83g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hrokc9KQOHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-a3UC9SRHo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdvSuG-EfxY
b9y

Post by b9y »

Oh yea this is similar to DCC though, so you have to fit something to the loco.
MickleoverTestTrack

Post by MickleoverTestTrack »

The Bachmann EZ one does seem to be the Bluerail items rebranded.
GWR_fan

Post by GWR_fan »

As far as I am aware the Bluerail system does not require a standalone controller as DCC does. All control is via bluetooth using the app on your device. A constant power source is applied to the rails. Basically, the onboard device is a digital decoder with an integral bluetooth receiver. I believe a standalone receiver will be offered to enable one to convert a typical digital loco to being able to receive bluetooth signals.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

What an amazing find.

What is the approximate range? The ones in the early 1980's were about between a quarter and half a mile. I think it was said to be a third of a mile and took PP3 batteries.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Posted 4 years later and totally off the original topic ???v
Maybe was meant to be a new thread.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester