Tarpaulined loads.

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Firefly16

Tarpaulined loads.

Postby Firefly16 » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:20 pm

Washed clean, the plastic trays in which supermarkets sell meat et c., are a possible source of realistic tarpaulined loads. Pouring boiling water over one of these trays in the kitchen sink will reduce it to a flat, pliable sheet for a few seconds before it begins to cool. If the process is repeated with the sheet placed over a former of suitable heat resisting materials shaped to suggest the load and securely fixed to a temporary base (I used a batten offcut for the experiment), the softened plastic can be hand-moulded to the desired shape in the few seconds' window before cooling. The process can be repeated until the desired configuration is achieved, though this does appear to have an annealing effect. Needless to say, the fingers should be protected throughout - the yellow MarigoldTM washing up gloves give a measure of protection while allowing for reasonably precise shaping at the pliable stage.
When satisfied with the outline suggested by the rigid, self supporting tarpaulin, the 'hem' can be cut to fit the bed of the carrying wagon, after which the tarpaulin can be painted and weathered as desired. An incidental benefit of the process is that a heated pin point can make holes close to the edge so that threads , knotted inside the tarpaulin can be attached to any functional ring bolts on the wagon side.

RAFHAAA96

Re: Tarpaulined loads.

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:33 am

Recently the 'leather' started to peel on the arms of my typist chair, leading to me recovering them, but the old skin pulled from the backing cloth was very thin and pliable and made half decent tarps for wagons, much better than the overscale cloth one I got with my china clay wagon.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:38 am

Interesting concepts.

I had to read the 'boil you plastic tray' instructions a few times before I got it clear in my braincell :lol:

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:57 pm

Dave wrote:Interesting concepts.

I had to read the 'boil you plastic tray' instructions a few times before I got it clear in my braincell :lol:

Likewise. :D

It sounds a good idea for a couple of my road vehicles as well.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:09 pm

Going round Morrisons today, it occurred to me that I should have made it clear that the trays in question are of the clear polystyrene kind and not the brittle charcoal-coloured ones. While on the subject, it's worth mentioning that once painted, it's easy to apply transfers to the tarps.

Return to “New discoveries???”