Wish list for manufacturers (non rolling stock)

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.

Currently unavailable items you wish manufacturers would make

Bespoke service for waterslides
75%
Servo mounting bracket for points with aux micro switch (for live frog)
25%

Total votes: 4

TimberSurf

Wish list for manufacturers (non rolling stock)

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:33 pm

What would you buy, if it were available, that is currently only available to make yourself?
Please no trains or vehicles, I am talking about electrics and scenery, items that perhaps a small business could start up and produce with limited tooling!
There are a few offerings on EBay already like:- Ready made switch box for point control, fishplates with dropper wires attached, pigsty/shed/garage castings, chain link fencing, wagon loads, stone walling, wooden fences, etc.
Consider this as a marketing poll for a start up cottage industry!

I will add items to the poll once suggestions start rolling in
Last edited by TimberSurf on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Jim S-W

Re: Wish list for manufacturers (non rolling stock)

Postby Jim S-W » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:34 pm

You can get ready to plonk buffer stops with working lights already

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/rai ... -oo-scale/

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:32 am

I had a think...
Bespoke waterslide? transfers for rail, road, shop and pub names with clear backings.
Like this sort of...
PascoeSignsa.jpg
PascoeSignsa.jpg (26.33 KiB) Viewed 804 times

I envisioned this either on either side of a van or a shop window.
Perhaps 8 empty area's per sheet for a Large Oxford Lorry / Small Hornby van. A different sheet to buy for Hornby or Peco or Airfix shop names to fit etc. letting the customer decide what text and typeface, drop shadowed or not, like my one above is with red.
Choice to change sizes of the 8 boxes to fit bespoke buildings the modeller/customer has made themselves and to have 8 different ones on one sheet.

Complete servo kits for mounting and/or retro fitting to an exisintg level crossing using 1 - 4 level crossing gates or barriers including any shafts, screws etc perhaps with lights and sound for the newer era modellor.

An easy, non-destructive and complete cure to the Dapol drooping couplings problem even if it is a set of replacements. I'll take 8 today!! :D
And not buying Dapol wagons is not a cure! :lol:

I'm not sure if these products exist but If I think of any more ideas I'll post them.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:58 am

Something missing is ready made sections of slot together baseboard with track for floor use or table top use, both for testing or for kiddies of all ages to give their trains a run without risking carpet hairs. Not everyone is in a position of building a baseboard. Some are between houses and others in other situations.
Also the idea is brilliant for younger modellers. The sections need to be about 1ft x 2ft a piece or thereabouts.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:19 am

Working slip coaches and working brake vans. (Handbrake).
Real working 4mm and 7mm scale horses for shunting purposes, especially for narrow gauge use.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:23 am

Conversion kits to bypass the close coupling system fired to coaches and also bypass the nem sockets, so one can fit proper screw on couplings mounted to the bogies so we can eradicate derailments caused by poor running of the close coupling system with the extra flexibility of nem pockets.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:33 am

End2end wrote:Bespoke waterslide? transfers for rail, road, shop and pub names with clear backings.

You can buy the blank paper to print yourself crafty computer paper, but I take your point that some don't have access to printers and software and may not have the PC skills to achieve professional results

ADDED to list

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:34 am

Jim S-W wrote:You can get ready to plonk buffer stops with working lights already

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/rai ... -oo-scale/

Well found!

REMOVED from list

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:38 am

End2end wrote:Complete servo kits for mounting and/or retro fitting to an exisintg level crossing using 1 - 4 level crossing gates or barriers including any shafts, screws etc perhaps with lights and sound for the newer era modeller.

Sorry, there are a few already, here is a selection:-
http://www.blocksignalling.co.uk/index. ... riers-lcs5
http://www.blocksignalling.co.uk/index. ... und-lcs6b4
I bought a really cheap one from china! but they no longer advertise! http://www.lumsdonia.co.uk/video.html
Last edited by TimberSurf on Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:44 am

End2end wrote:An easy, non-destructive and complete cure to the Dapol drooping couplings problem even if it is a set of replacements. I'll take 8 today!! :D
And not buying Dapol wagons is not a cure! :lol:

Not sure what the problem/root cause is (as I don't own any Dapol trucks), but if they can't be replaced with other manufacturers couplings (its a Dapol socket/fixing problem), then that's a manufacturer issue, not an opportunity for others.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:50 am

Mountain wrote:Something missing is ready made sections of slot together baseboard with track for floor use or table top use, both for testing or for kiddies of all ages to give their trains a run without risking carpet hairs. Not everyone is in a position of building a baseboard. Some are between houses and others in other situations.
Also the idea is brilliant for younger modellers. The sections need to be about 1ft x 2ft a piece or thereabouts.

A joyous idea, but fraught with inpractability's. Modular base boards are available from a number of sources, but what track plan would be right? There are so many layout designs, the range of units would have to be massive! I just don't think it would be commercially viable.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:00 am

Mountain wrote:Working slip coaches and working brake vans. (Handbrake).

Certainly controlled uncoupling is available from at least two suppliers (example http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-10352 ... brelec.htm). I doubt coach/Guard van braking is available. But this would be a micro market, who has a layout big enough to run expresses at full speed for this to be worth while?
Sorry, doesn't sound very commercially viable.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:13 pm

Mountain wrote:Real working 4mm and 7mm scale horses for shunting purposes, especially for narrow gauge use.

Hmm, nice idea, critters that have moving legs driven by servo/motors!
The technology is certainly being seen in Micro bots, but this miniaturisation is still at the leading edge! Maybe in ten years time, the tech will have filtered down into the modellers realm and be at a cost that ain't prohibitive. Ask again in five years :D

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:16 pm

Mountain wrote:Conversion kits to bypass the close coupling system fired to coaches and also bypass the nem sockets, so one can fit proper screw on couplings mounted to the bogies so we can eradicate derailments caused by poor running of the close coupling system with the extra flexibility of nem pockets.

This one is a bit out of my realm. Would a 3 link for a NEM pocket be any use?

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:19 pm

TimberSurf wrote:
End2end wrote:Not sure what the problem/root cause is (as I don't own any Dapol trucks), but if they can't be replaced with other manufacturers couplings (its a Dapol socket/fixing problem), then that's a manufacturer issue, not an opportunity for others.

Yes Dapol are a weird one. It's like they don't have an actual socket, rather they have a piece of plastic that screws in vertically to the rolling stock at one end and at the other end it is like an n shape that the coupler then sits up underneath all held up and together by the screw. The whole mechanism is loose and thus the droop.
I hope I explained myself clearly? :oops:
If anyone came up with a proper working soloution I think they would make a tidy sum as some modeller's won't buy Dapol for this simple yet frustrating coupler problem. One of them being that the screw hole is positioned in such a way not to be able just to buy another brands replacements and fit them.
Actually another problem I found yesterday too was that Dapol hooks come off VERY EASILY. In fact so easily that I dropped one on the floor just handling a wagon. :shock:
Some modeller's will hack n slash with confidence to add new couplings.
Personally I A, Don't have the confidence. B, Don't have the correct tools for accurate positioning of any added on / glued coupler and C, Some of my rolling stock is of very limited edition and I simply don't wan't to do any harmful reconstruction/remodelling on them.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Return to “New discoveries???”