Wish list for manufacturers (non rolling stock)

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.

Currently unavailable items you wish manufacturers would make

Bespoke service for waterslides
75%
Servo mounting bracket for points with aux micro switch (for live frog)
25%

Total votes: 4

End2end

Re: Wish list for manufacturers (non rolling stock)

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 19, 2017 12:27 pm

HA! I've got another one... THE TIMBERSURF MAGNETIC UNCOUPLING WAND!!!!!!™ © ®
I need one! :D All the magnets I bought are WAY too powerful and will drag a rake off the layout :lol:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:16 pm

I will happily sell you one for £20!

31pt9safhLL.jpg
31pt9safhLL.jpg (12.37 KiB) Viewed 577 times

or you can buy from my competitors
https://www.amazon.co.uk/first4magnets- ... B002R87PZQ
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-Telescopic ... SwgZ1Xvxho
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Telescopic-Ext ... B009KKCZ0O
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Franklin-LED- ... SwuAVWzvQX

You need the small one, glue a slither of plastic to the face, to act as a spacer, helps detach magnet from the hooks.
P.S. Works well with old Hornby, but modern coupling hooks can be made of plastic now!

{Self note - Lumsdonia Tip 903}
Last edited by TimberSurf on Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:48 pm

TimberSurf wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Franklin-LED-Torch-Magnetic-Telescopic-Pick-Up-NEW-/291693457935?hash=item43ea48f20f:g:Ug0AAOSwuAVWzvQX
P.S. Works well with old Hornby, but modern coupling hooks can be made of plastic now!

Thanks for the link Timbersurf. Now there's a clever tool! I have flexible necked 3 LED torch but that's much better for uncoupling with the smaller magnet on the end and I have a few older Hornby GW wagons plus the 4 wheel coaches so hopefully the end magnet would fit inbetween them to uncouple.
I found it slightly cheaper at £7.00 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Franklin-Hand ... SwUKxYeO5h
Added to my list and another problem solved. Happy days. :mrgreen:
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:29 pm

TimberSurf wrote:
Mountain wrote:Conversion kits to bypass the close coupling system fired to coaches and also bypass the nem sockets, so one can fit proper screw on couplings mounted to the bogies so we can eradicate derailments caused by poor running of the close coupling system with the extra flexibility of nem pockets.

This one is a bit out of my realm. Would a 3 link for a NEM pocket be any use?

Remember the old tension lock mounting points before nem came into the UK? I was thinking about them. The central screw point with the two tabs. If these be made from a suitable material that could easily attach to bogies to go back to the reliable bogie mounted tension lock couplers, many of us will be relieved as we can have reliable running once more.
I for one stopped buying new coaches due to the close coupling devices. If the manufacturers put a symbol on their boxes as to what had and what didn't have close coupling devices, then I would know what new products to buy. The issue is that many shops won't allow people to open the boxes so I can look. Hence why I stopped buying when I had the funds to do so.

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:38 pm

Just a quick question. Will the list grow or should I vote now?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:52 pm

I think that may be too strong! extra thick plastic strip on end may help, but I am concerned that the bigger magnet may well be too strong and TOO wide to fit!
My one in the pic (no light), only just fits!
Would the standard plate on a wire not work? or AGL do the whole range! http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LOADS-of-LOADS ... =355723268

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Jan 19, 2017 5:17 pm

End2end wrote:Just a quick question. Will the list grow or should I vote now?

There is no end date to the poll. Vote when you see something in the list you would buy!

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:51 pm

There's always a good selection of vintage enamel advertising signs, reproductions of Big Four travel posters etc., but what I've yet to see are reproductions of the different sized posters for various products that would give that little extra period touch to layouts. Examples that spring to mind are those dating from the late 1950s - the various CWS posters, the Murraymints guardsman (remember him?) and of course those pushing various household detergents. I don't know what questions of reproduction rights would be involved but there's certainly a gap there waiting to be filled.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:54 pm

Tiny Signs and Langley Miniatures to name but two do a good selection already. If you have a colour printer there are plenty to be found on-line. Even that old dog MS Paint will scale down, and the freebie Libre Office will let you put a whole load onto an A4 page.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:06 pm

Special "Linka" scale rule as shown here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=50895&start=30#p624505
timbologist wrote:
by Dave » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:35 pm
I have not seen anything like that in the UK, where did you get it from :?:

I made it myself on my laser engraver I have attached the original Inkscape files, so you can print them and laminate them or if you have access to a laser engraver you can get them made.

If enough people are interested could probably make some and send them over. They would have to go to one person then distribute from there. I'll look into the shipping costs and let you know.

Tony

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:10 pm

Furniture and furnishings for inside buildings, especially when lit. Refered to here viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40705&start=15#p627101

Sounds like a definite need, the only source I can think of is the kits for inside signal boxes.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:33 pm

Having had a look online, there is a surprising amount already available from the likes of Nock, Faller, SevernModels, scale model scenery, Prieser and Langley models, to name a few!

Check this out for inspiration! http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... oho-scale/
I guess there might be room for someone enterprising to do some 3D printing, but it would have to be items to fill gaps in the market

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:04 pm

[quote="Mountain"]Working slip coaches...
A tantalising idea, but as Timbersurf observed, given the lack of space for long, fast runs, not a commercially viable proposition. That said, I have experimented in the past with trip activated 'under arm' action devices with long exhibition type runs in mind. With the need for a simple robust reporting mechanism to let the remote operator know the slip had been successfully completed and to add a note of drama for onlookers, I envisaged a bell linked to a circuit completed by the disengaged coupling connecting magnetically with shoes in the bogie contacting with twin ramps between the rails. An impractical idea, seeing that model coaches don't actually have 1/76th their prototypes' heft, but we can dream, can't we?

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Thu Mar 02, 2017 3:57 pm

TimberSurf wrote:
Mountain wrote:Working slip coaches and working brake vans. (Handbrake).

Certainly controlled uncoupling is available from at least two suppliers (example http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-10352 ... brelec.htm). I doubt coach/Guard van braking is available...

I'd say it is all fully available already. I have a DCC controlled motored coach, it happens to be a full brake, but any coach type is now possible and likewise a guards van, given the variety of drives from both RTR and kit parts that are now available.

A slip coach doesn't require uncoupling if done as a dcc controlled motored coach. Run speed matched with the train but with no coupling attaching, start it braking to a halt at a preselected location and it will fall off the back of the train and glide to a halt at any rate of deceleration required.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:36 pm

I've read the replies with interest and then thought of an idea. Now having a seperate motor bogie does seem to stray away from the nature of a slip coach. What would be fun is for a DCC operated hook to disengage and the slipped portion to have a flywheel or free running friction drive so it has some free running control, with a slight DCC brake operation with it maybe? This way one has the feel of realistic operation. Could such a coach be made to work?

Return to “New discoveries???”