Wish list for manufacturers (non rolling stock)

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.

Currently unavailable items you wish manufacturers would make

Bespoke service for waterslides
75%
Servo mounting bracket for points with aux micro switch (for live frog)
25%

Total votes: 4

TimberSurf

Re: Wish list for manufacturers (non rolling stock)

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Which part of "non rolling stock" do you guys not understand? :o

DCC uncoupling hooks are already available (I'm guessing flywheels and brakes are not)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:46 pm

I'm sure a slip coach could be made to work without DCC just a ramp to energise the uncoupling mechanism and some sort of inertia drive to keep it rolling. An electro magnet under the track at the platform to ensure it stopped, and if it sometimes sometimes there wasn't enough inertia and it stopped short, the protypical station pilot to set out and haul it in. H&S types would have kittens if it was proposed today.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:43 pm

Mountain wrote:I've read the replies with interest and then thought of an idea. Now having a seperate motor bogie does seem to stray away from the nature of a slip coach. What would be fun is for a DCC operated hook to disengage and the slipped portion to have a flywheel or free running friction drive so it has some free running control, with a slight DCC brake operation with it maybe? This way one has the feel of realistic operation. Could such a coach be made to work?

Something would have to spin up the flywheel or friction drive to make that work, quite a job to engineer that, and no more realistic than having the slip coach motor powered. With steel wheels and steel axles in brass pinpoints, a truly free running coach slipped at a scale 70 mph will roll getting on for 20 feet on level track. The problem is that level track is a rare commodity in model railways, and that free rolling it will probably come to a halt, and then roll away in the other direction - and so on - until it settles at a low point. The breeze from an open window may affect operation too...

It's just so simple with a DCC controlled motored coach by comparison. You can test the effect by using a coach like piece of more modern traction - an MU power car is ideal - and operate that dropping off the rear of a train. None of the steam locos hauling trains which operated slip coaches had a socking great DC motor powering them after all.

Firefly16

Postby Firefly16 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:35 pm

By going down the notches on the controller, the appearance of slipping might be created with a coach fitted with a DCC motorized bogie. But where would be the finesse, judging where to slow the train ready for slipping, working out the right speed at which to slip so that the coach comes to a halt in the right place? And isn't the idea of a viable slip coupling fascinating in itself?

Return to “New discoveries???”