White Spirit disolves Hot Melt Glue

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
TimberSurf

White Spirit disolves Hot Melt Glue

Postby TimberSurf » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:51 am

Having glued together a filter and airbrush holder tube into a jar lid, to act as my homemade airbrush cleaner, it worked well, but several days later has started to fall apart!
This means that I have discovered an interesting nugget of information! I use white spirit to clear the airbrush, and the mist coats the whole of the inside and the remainder does not evaporate. Thus the vapour has been attacking the hot melt glue I used to glue everything together.
The glue goes very gooey and releases its bond on the substrate. I am not sure if the constant vapour is the trick, but I guess that a repeated application onto hot melt (that is not contained by a jar) may do the same over a period of time.
Knowing that you can "undo" hot melt glue with heat, I thought it may also be useful to know that White Spirits is a solvent that can soften hot melt glue and allow its removal from a surface.

I of course now have to rebuild my airbrush cleaner with some other type of glue! :)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

End2end

Re: White Spirit disolves Hot Melt Glue

Postby End2end » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:39 am

Wish I knew this 3 weeks ago.I used a hot glue gun to attach wires to the underside of my control panel face which needed removing and caused quite a mess and some surface damage. :?
I'll keep it in mind. Thanks Timbersurf ;)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Re: White Spirit disolves Hot Melt Glue

Postby alex3410 » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:20 pm

That's good to know, the other half goes nuts with this for school projects so this tip might come in handy

Return to “New discoveries???”