Metal Nameplates....Statiion signs...Loco names etc.

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Mountain

Metal Nameplates....Statiion signs...Loco names etc.

Postby Mountain » Tue Nov 15, 2016 8:19 pm

For metal nameplates and number plates in 7mm scale and station names in 4mm scale (Also look OK in 7mm scale)....
{Recently put this on another site but will also share here as it looks promising so far}...
I have made my own name and number plates on my 7mm narrow gauge loco out of aluminium fizzy drinks can, but although they work and look OK, they took a few attempts to make them. (I decided to name the loco a shorter name then originally intended to make things easier!)
What I wanted was a way to type the letters and numbers into the metal. I knew that if I brought out one of our old typewrighters it would indent the letters the wrong way into the thin metal. After weeks of ideas floating round my mind, my thoughts then swayed towards a device I bought as a young teenager called a Babypress printer. (Remember them?) It took me a while to find it, but when I did I gave it a try...and it works! Works so well it is going to be used on station name plates...the lot! Loco name plates will need a surround scribed round the letters or numbers and will then need painting all over. After the paint dries, gently scratch off the raised bits and you are left with a lovely metal nameplate! Just glue in place!
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

SRman

Re: Metal Nameplates....Statiion signs...Loco names etc.

Postby SRman » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:13 pm

For enamel style station names, I do the art work in Microsoft Word, using text boxes with the text set to white and the background colour to suit whatever region is required, then print at high resolution on glossy photo paper.

It can take a few trial prints and adjustments in Word to get the regional colours to look right, as the screen colours don't always translate well to printer colour outputs.

I like your ideas for the raised lettering. Sounds ingenious. :)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 18, 2016 12:49 pm

Thanks S.R.man. No idea if these printing devices are still made today. If not they may find their way secondhand.
Even though my babypress printer has its letters and numbers made from a hard plastic material, it works fine on the thin aluminium found on fizzy drinks cans. Actually just as easy or easier then the original plastic tape!
Of course, if one finds the old plastic taps stuff for it, one can make station signs with this as the letters come out a white colour through the tape. But one would not get the metallic effect for locomotive plates. Unfortunately for locomotive use, the characters are only suitable for the larger scales.

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:34 am

Did not the early Dymo type printers raised letter emboss the plastic tape as opposed to just heat printing on it as nowadays.
Scale size font may be a problem though.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:06 am

RAFHAAA96 wrote:Did not the early Dymo type printers raised letter emboss the plastic tape as opposed to just heat printing on it as nowadays.
Scale size font may be a problem though.

Yes they did.

Would it be possible for any pictures of what you've achieved please members. This had rather intrigued me :)
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:13 pm

Trying to get pictures to work. Whatever I seem to do does not seem to work. This tablet does not reduce. It does crop though but this site does not like it. Either says it is too large or says it is invalid.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:21 am

I was trying to look online for examples of my Babypress printing device but it seems other products are also called the same name so didn't find it.
I have found something similar though. Here is a link. It is actually very close to the design of mine...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B005QP ... Mwebp_QL65

I apologise for putting the link up, but I could not find another way to show what the printing item is as I dontnseem to be able to smallerize my photographs on my tablet device as it does not seem to operate like other tablets do.
(It took me months to find how to copy and paste!)

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:31 am

If making nameplates be careful to cut the drinks cans so you don't get cut, and use the aluminium type as some are steel so may be too tough for these little printers to use. They are only plastic! Go easy on them.
The other good thing is with one of these devices you will be labelling everything round the home with the sticky backed tape they are designed for. The tape may also be good for station name plates.

Return to “New discoveries???”