Triple Output Power Supply Model LED Lighting??

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
End2end

Triple Output Power Supply Model LED Lighting??

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:14 pm

I found this on ebay yesterday but am not quite sure what it is.
Triple Output Power Supply Great for Hornby, Bachmann Model Railway LED Lighting
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Triple-Output ... cBM8cr1-hA
On the sale it states:-
Triple Output PSU PCB - 5VDC,12VDC and variable
The unit outputs regulated 5VDC with a 7805 and the input voltage - 12VDC recomended
Also has a variable regulated output from an LM317T
The PCB has 2 power inputs for maximum versitility, use either wires or DC socket - 2.1mm
Includes a miniature slide switch and 2 LED inicators
PCB terminal blocks used for easy interfacing
The PCB has holes for PCB mounting feet
A clear silkscreen layer is used
The PCB is smart black and double sided
Perfect for all sorts of robotic and other electronic projects.
Great for model projects, e.g. dolls houses and model railways
The variable output is perfect for powering LED lighting, the brightness can be controlled
Black double sided PCB
Available constructed

I have contacted the seller to ask
Does this item take a 12volt DC input and amplifies the voltage across the 3 outputs giving 3 x 12volt DC outputs? How many LED's can this unit power from a single 12volt DC input? How can the LED's be dimmed?
And the reply came back
It runs from a DC power supply, 12V would be fine. The 3 outputs are, 1. the input voltage, 2, 5VDC and a variable output, you would use the variable output to dim.
The variable output will handle 1.5Amps so it would power a great deal of LEDs. I have a new design PCB that outputs 2x variable outputs, I have designed this for modellers. Would you be interested in this?

The newer board has 2 of the variable outputs giving 2 dimmable outputs.
I am kind of confused to what this module does apart from giving you the ability to dim your layouts LED lighting.
Would this be better than my current system of a 12v psu connected to a lighting bus that the LED's are connected (soldered) to in paralell, with each LED having it's own 1KOhm resistor attatched to the positive leg of each LED?
OR does it have extras / extra uses that I have overlooked?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

End2end

Re: Triple Output Power Supply Model LED Lighting??

Postby End2end » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:03 pm

The sellers response from earlier
The variable outputs are over a range of voltages, you set the voltage using a variable resistor.
You could safely power 50 lights at 20mA each, the variable voltage regulator is rated at 1.5Amps but at the upper end a small heat sink would be needed.
The new board is powered by 1 supply of either DC or AC. The PCB has a rectifier so it does not matter which way round the DC is supplied. You can plug a 2.1mm plug into it or there is a 2 way terminal block so you could attach wires, this would enable you to take power from your rails.
The boards do not have short circuit protection, this is not really necessary.
I wouldnt have a display version. I see what you are saying but a cheap volt meter would be a better option. You could plug Just Plug lights into it.
I think this would be better, I am building some up tomorrow, would you need some built up?
I also have a very small PCB, about stamp size that outputs 100mA variable. This is intended for coaches but would also be good for lighting buildings from the inside, again this can be powered by AC or DC from the rails.

I still don't quite understand how or why this product would be better than my original lighting plan? :?
Would this be better than my current system of a 12v psu connected to a lighting bus that the LED's are connected (soldered) to in paralell, with each LED having it's own 1KOhm resistor attatched to the positive leg of each LED?

Any comments or suggestions?
Thanks
End2end

EDIT:
What I am trying to work out is if this new product (or the newer version with 2 variable outputs) will power more LED's than one of my 12v wall wart power supplies or do something other than just reduce voltage to make LED's dimmer.
I have 2 of these type of wall warts and here is what is printed on them:
BENROSS ELECTRICAL AC-DC ADAPTOR MODEL:4426 INPUT 230V~50Hz 8.7W OUTPUT:3-4.5-6-7.5-9-12V (next to this there is a line with 3 dashes underneath)
300mA 3.6VA(max)

EUROSONIC UNIVERSAL AC-DC ADAPTOR MODEL:ES-96 UK INPUT: 240 V ~50Hz OUTPUT: 3.4.5.6.7.5.9.12 V. (next to this there is a line with 3 dashes underneath)
CURRENT: 300Ma. MAX.
Excerpt from - viewtopic.php?f=44&t=44866&start=30#p545348
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:47 pm

The "Third" output does nothing, except pass the input voltage through (bit of a con!) apart fromif supply is AC
The "second" 5v might be usfull if you dont have/want second PSU, to power 6V incandescant lamps (grain of wheat)
The "First" variable, will modify the input (12v) and dim (reduce) the voltage for LEDS (current resistors stay the same)
Better to use "Wireless 12V Remote Dimmer Switch Controller Mini LED Strip " type and cheaper, plus its remote!
If you want 5v, just buy the LM7805!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:27 pm

Very useful if you want a stable 5v DC supply for ICs etc either in a vehicle or on a layout where 16v AC and 12v DC are readily available. If you have a dimable DC supply you don't need this, if you are looking for one his new unit may do the trick but I'd prefer to see some sample application diagrams for it.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “New discoveries???”