LIDL's this week

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
senorsenales

LIDL's this week

Postby senorsenales » Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:46 pm

On offer this week at LIDL's

Parkside soldering station - £6.99 I bought one of these when they were £16.99 (boo) a few years ago. No complaints from me. Spare screw in ends from an address in the West Midlands. Variable heat and solder included.

Cutting Disc Set - 5 packs of 5 discs of various sizes plus the holders. - £2.99
Diamond hole reamers - pack of about eight in various sizes. Also £2.99

Buy two of each or mixed £4.00

I bought two of the discs and my wife one of each.

How do they do it for the price? Some say they may not be top notch but for the average bodger like me they are great value.

RAFHAAA96

Re: LIDL's this week

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:02 am

I bought one of their highlighter sized battery powered soldering irons - great for working on decoders, soldering failed wires back on.
Less than the price of a couple of beers.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

johnco

Postby johnco » Fri Feb 05, 2016 7:25 pm

My experience of the Parkside soldering iron would not be allowed to be put in writing, I think that I will stick to an Antex which I will look out for in Stafford tomorrow.

Mike Parkes

Postby Mike Parkes » Sat Feb 06, 2016 4:48 pm

johnco wrote:My experience of the Parkside soldering iron would not be allowed to be put in writing, I think that I will stick to an Antex which I will look out for in Stafford tomorrow.

Presumably you got a duff, many people seem to be perfectly happy with them if you look on various forums. 3 year guarantee, ring up customer services and they will in all likelihood they will send a you new one .
Last edited by Mike Parkes on Sun Feb 07, 2016 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 6:47 pm

Lidl electrical and 'other' goods like bathroom scales, compressors, etc are not renowned for their greatness or reliability as witnessed by the number of people standing at a till with such items under arm looking for the 'returns' desk.

Buy 'em cheap but be aware you get what you bought.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

senorsenales

Postby senorsenales » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:41 pm

You are right, but as most of my tools have two uses, what they were designed for, and what I actually use them for, it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Those Parkside Tools are ok, the soldering iron is certainly ok, I use it along with another cheaper one I got off Amazon, and as I am not any sort of craftsman I am quite happy to buy them cheap. I have never had to take anything back yet, but you are certainly right in that more money buys better tools and when it comes to things that are going to have a harder life than my hobby tools I am quite happy to spend the money.

Return to “New discoveries???”