BLOKMEK. A new discovery

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
End2end

BLOKMEK. A new discovery

Postby End2end » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:12 pm

Whilst perusing the old fleabay I came across something I had not seen before.
After a little digging and a question to the seller, I found out that, yes it is a new company and the website should be live very soon.
The company is called Blokmek and makes scale buildings not usually found or made by other companies.
Here's the website waiting to go live - http://www.blokmek.co/
And also the sellers account on fleabay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/kristenlw/m.h ... 7675.l2562
The models are made from Daler board and look really "ENGINEERED". Flat packed and easy to make up.
I especially like the look of the girder bridge.
No affiliation as always.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Emettman

Re: BLOKMEK. A new discovery

Postby Emettman » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:12 pm

They look to have great potential.

It's a tip which goes back a long way, but models built with card and Bristol board can be strengthened and have their surfaces rendered non-porous (usually better for painting) with a shellac coating.

Most recently I used knotting solution, having checked that this modern stuff had a good shellac content.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:28 pm

Hasn't had a great start looking at the fleabay feedback so far, think I would wait until things have settled down a bit before ordering anything.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

End2end

Postby End2end » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:16 pm

It wouldn't fit on my layout sadly, but now some are being sold already built and this looks like a stonking model of the The iconic Ironbridge. :)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Iconic-Ir ... 20f9018c2e
Shame about the feedback though. If I were to purchase anything perhaps I could arrange to go and collect it.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:11 am

I've just acquired an un-made Ironbridge, and I will report back.

A good part of the negative feedback seems to have come from a single individual who bought several items at once and was unhappy, this coming out as negative feedback for each item, not for one single transaction.

I don't think I will, but it struck me that the five Ironbridge trusses, separated out much more widely, would be heading towards superb supports for an overall roof. If my kit looks good, I may contact the guy and suggest it.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:39 pm

I assume that they are laser cut card models... They've been around for several years over on the Continent and in the US but only seem to be starting to take off over here over the past year or so... Such model are ideally suited to buildings and other structures, and are cheap to make for small production runs which wouldn't sell enough to justify a plastic kit, hence they've been used by the many "cottage industry" manufacturers in Europe Also as the Europeans are used to paper models which again never really took off over here so construction methods aren't unusual.

There are other manufacturers who also use this technology and even some of the big plastic kit manufactures are starting to use it...

Check out my April kit build for a Czech laser cut card model.

Return to “New discoveries???”