super cheap battery powered railway sets [bad idea]

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
cowjam

super cheap battery powered railway sets [bad idea]

Postby cowjam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:14 am

i can't find it now, but i saw a post where someone had bought a lorry from a pound shop, and it was near enough the right scale.

i was in b&m the other day and saw a £5 plastic battery-powered railway, and though it looked near enough oo to give it a wiggle. the detailing on the oil tanker and wagon looked reasonable, and i thought it'd be a handy set for trying to mod/repaint without worrying about cocking it up.

unfortunately the scale is out by a wheel's width. here's some photos:

alex3410

Re: super cheap battery powered railway sets [bad idea]

Postby alex3410 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:28 am

its still useful for trying out your painting / practising on

if you wanted to you could re wheel it with 00 wheels which would then fit your track? you will just need to insert plasticard inside the bogies to reduce the space so that the new wheels will fit OK

cowjam

Postby cowjam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:40 am

that's true, i can still practice on them. i currently can't run them though.

i may try replace the wheels, good thinking. they may look a bit outsized though, but it's worth a wiggle

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:44 pm

cowjam wrote:that's true, i can still practice on them. i currently can't run them though.

i may try replace the wheels, good thinking. they may look a bit outsized though, but it's worth a wiggle

Hope to see them on 'The next picture will be thread' My battery powered 'Santa Train' made it. :D

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Not necessarily a bad idea, but one of the gambles is getting a strange, even unique, gauge.
Same applies for "near O" and "near G" for cheap larger scale Christmas trains, though the majority that mention a gauge or scale on the packaging do get it right.

I'm used to looking for stuff to carve up, and have started to get a feeling for what is useful junk and what is just junk.
I've found some very useful drive mechanisms before now, and others that made sounds previously unheard outside of a torture chamber.
What's the motor like?

Both bodies look far better than their underframes, and judging by the unused slot for a ladder were never intended for them.
There's £5 there.

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

cowjam

Postby cowjam » Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Emettman wrote:I'm used to looking for stuff to carve up, and have started to get a feeling for what is useful junk and what is just junk.
I've found some very useful drive mechanisms before now, and others that made sounds previously unheard outside of a torture chamber.
What's the motor like?

it looks like a standard cheap motor, but i haven't had it running yet -

Emettman wrote:Both bodies look far better than their underframes, and judging by the unused slot for a ladder were never intended for them.
There's £5 there.

well spotted! i hadn't noticed that. i happened to have a spare underframe (yesterday i found a Lima 'D9003' loco that's in bits, some hornby points switches, and the base of a wagon when emptying a room ready for the carpet being cleaned this weekend) so I've put it on (literally put - it's not glued or anything). It's a little long but looks better than on the cheapo base and it actually fits on my railway now. thank you very much for pointing that out!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:31 pm

cowjam wrote:
Emettman wrote:What's the motor like?

it looks like a standard cheap motor, but i haven't had it running yet -

Given the gauge problem that's probably going to be more work than is worth it,to make it useful.
And yes, I have a box of those standard cheap motors I can't use but would feel wasteful throwing away.

Glad to be handy...
Get out there and chop and change!

Chris.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:47 pm

They are going to make quite a few kids very unhappy on Christmas Day. They will tear the wrapping paper off to get to the promised Hornby starter set - and it will be one of those horrors.

Although it was 45 years ago we can remember a Christmas at my sister's when her little boy had been promised a Scalextric. What he actually got was some cheap substitute from Romford market. His bottom lip curled almost down to his knees as he sobbed uncontrollably. Nothing could console him.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:37 am

ParkeNd wrote:...What he actually got was some cheap substitute from Romford market. His bottom lip curled almost down to his knees as he sobbed uncontrollably. Nothing could console him.

My parents got this wrong twice, but not quite at the Romford level. It still made a difference to my childhood though.
Instead of Salextric they opted for the Airfix version. With distinct problems, though not terrible. But no other kid in the class had it, so no going round to make super-layouts with that as a "ffirnd-making" agent.

And Lego? No. They went for "Betta Bilda" and bricks that did not cling, a roof system that made your fingers bleed and not a wheel in sight.
<still shudders>

(Now half-expecting a "Betta Bilda? You was lucky...")

There are a few potential major bargains in the "Christmas train set " and "Battery train set " eBay listings,
I went highest to lowest, but real tatt at vastly inflated prices shows up early on as traps for unwary parents.
(Unknowing parents: how else to explain continuing sales of Monopoly? )

Chris

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:48 am

There must have been a few different Airfix racing car sets, then, I used to use Airfix slot cars back in the 70s and not only were they fully compatible with Scalextric, they were better handling and faster!

Give me Bako or Meccano over Lego any day, at least there's some skill attached to building the former rather than just sticking blocks together... I sometimes wonder about the "simplification " of modern toys, the current Mecanno sets are just rubbish...

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:51 pm

The cars weren't bad, and famously had "proper" steering to the front wheels, but the track was incompatible with Scalextric, had poorer geometry, and required considerable fiddling with little copper tags to get electrical continuity when locked together with little nylon clips.

Meccano yes, was a different category, but even it has to fair degree succumbed to the "just make the picture on the box with the special pieces only found in this set" which has ruined Lego for its older fans.

Bayko, now that was (is) a thing apart. You really had to plan ahead, if not copying an existing design,
and the vertical poles refusing to go in, or to come out, could make for sore fingers.

My cousin had a massive American Kenner girder and panel building set that I enjoyed on several occasions,
and I still have some of the Tente building blocks sets which made only waterline model ships: including motorised ones, (without wheels)

Chris

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:15 pm

I've still got my Bayko. Really enjoyed playing with it and Meccano. Still have one or two bits of Meccano somewhere, learned a lot about mechanics with that.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat
Anyone who is willing to stand for political office isn't fit to be in political office

Rog (RJ)

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Emettman wrote:
ParkeNd wrote:...What he actually got was some cheap substitute from Romford market. His bottom lip curled almost down to his knees as he sobbed uncontrollably. Nothing could console him.

My parents got this wrong twice,

Chris

Should have gone to Santa 8)

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:33 pm

Emettman wrote:The cars weren't bad, and famously had "proper" steering to the front wheels, but the track was incompatible with Scalextric, had poorer geometry, and required considerable fiddling with little copper tags to get electrical continuity when locked together with little nylon clips.

Ah, I only ever raced them on Scalextric track!! ;)

Beejay7

Postby Beejay7 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:34 am

Airfix cars were 1/32nd scale early Scalextric were nearer 1/30th Scale

Alan

Return to “New discoveries???”