The return of Linka?

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
End2end

The return of Linka?

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:05 pm

I have just managed to purchase the Brick and Stonework Linka set 2nd hand and whilst perusing the net the other day I came across this site.
http://www.linkaonline.co.uk/

Although the site has only been live for around 6 months. it has most, if not all the original plans plus many ideas including making your own moulds, pictures and even a shop for more resilient Herculate compound (named TUFF-CAST) and some moulds for sale.
For those who use Linka I think youll find this site a useful resource :)

I have no affliation with the site, I'm just glad someone has picked up the baton for this really useful product.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Re: The return of Linka?

Postby alex3410 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:19 pm

his own mix of powder is really good, hes also on you tube with some brilliant videos :D

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Mar 17, 2014 8:36 pm

alex3410 wrote:his own mix of powder is really good, hes also on you tube with some brilliant videos :D

And right now the mould powder is 50p off direct from the site instead of his fleabay account :)
Think I will be purchasing some of that in the near future, although there is a big box of compound in the original box of what I managed to buy so will have a go with that first to get some Linka building skills under my belt.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:42 pm

I look forward to seeing the results of your Linka work :) . I've just started using my old moulds again after a long period away from modelling, It's good fun, but can be rather time consuming. I've posted a few bits about my experiences on my layout thread.
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

End2end

The return of Linka - What mix ratio?

Postby End2end » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:38 pm

I have purchased 5Kg of the TUFF CAST powder. Just my luck he introduced a more stronger powder literally a week after I purchased the original :roll:
But I wanted to ask members here what mix you use, as on the site and demo videos it says use a mix of 40/100 which is too dry.
I've tried 45g water / 100g powder and also 50g water / 100g powder, but each time i've had to add more water (unmeasured).
Also does anyone have any tips for filling in air bubbles on finished casts? I seem to still be getting bubbles as hard as I try not to when casting.

I've tried leaving a message on the actual sites forum but it seems extremely quiet so thought i'd ask around here at the end user side.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:41 am

i had trouble with bubbles as well, i had some improvement when i used a sheet of thick ish plastic raised at each end off the surface to place the moulds on

then you simply tap the plastic which bounces and in turn helps to make the bubbles rise to the top of the mould

also really helped when i misted the moulds with water first

as to the mix i always did the 2 powder to 1 water but i didnt have much luck sticking them together so got a little fed up but want to try again so will be interested to see how you get on :)

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:56 pm

Thanks for your reply alex.
Yes i've heard both yay's and nay's about misting the moulds first.
As for sticking them together, I have been using neat pva both on the "teeth" and once laid face down to glue, I push them together and add a line of neat pva down the join. It seems to hold nicely. I also add corner strengtheners (not sure which mould they are from??) with neat pva down the corners for more strength. As stated on the site - "The best way to glue the casts together is to use Woodworking PVA glue."
The mix I last used was measured to 50g of water (to 100g powder) but I still had to add more to make it more viscose.
Still no reply from anyone there on a more accurate mix measurement so I await more advice before continuing.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:17 pm

End2end wrote:I have purchased 5Kg of the TUFF CAST powder. Just my luck he introduced a more stronger powder literally a week after I purchased the original :roll:
But I wanted to ask members here what mix you use, as on the site and demo videos it says use a mix of 40/100 which is too dry.
I've tried 45g water / 100g powder and also 50g water / 100g powder, but each time i've had to add more water (unmeasured).
Also does anyone have any tips for filling in air bubbles on finished casts? I seem to still be getting bubbles as hard as I try not to when casting.

I've tried leaving a message on the actual sites forum but it seems extremely quiet so thought i'd ask around here at the end user side.
Thanks
End2end

The exact proportions of water:plaster are hopefully available from the seller of the plaster and are ideally listed on the packaging. The correct ratios can differ quite a bit between different varieties fo plaster. If your measurements are out, you'll get poor results. Adding extra water or plaster, after you've started mixing rarely works well. It's a race against time once the water hits the plaster! :)

The best trick for avoiding bubble is to make sure the moulds are damp and to stir the plaster:water mix very gently, so it doesn't froth up. Then once you've poured the mixture into the moulds, tap them gently which should bring any bubbles to the surface. I think I used Herculite in my last casting batch which i got from Ebay.

I bought some measuring scoops to make the mixing easier.

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:51 pm

GeraldH wrote:The exact proportions of water:plaster are hopefully available from the seller of the plaster and are ideally listed on the packaging.

End2end wrote:on the site and demo videos it says use a mix of 40/100 which is too dry.
Also it came in a blank cardboard box with 2 generic plastic sealable bags inside.
GeraldH wrote:Adding extra water or plaster, after you've started mixing rarely works well. It's a race against time once the water hits the plaster! :)

With the TuffCast it says a "working time" of upto 30 minutes

GeraldH wrote:The best trick for avoiding bubble is to make sure the moulds are damp and to stir the plaster:water mix very gently, so it doesn't froth up. Then once you've poured the mixture into the moulds, tap them gently which should bring any bubbles to the surface. I think I used Herculite in my last casting batch which i got from Ebay.

What ratio / % mix did you use GeraldH, as I think I have the same stuff ?
St Blazey's Station autority have been in touch with the domestic department to see if I can aquire a mister to dampen the moulds and will let you all know the results.
Thanks all
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:05 pm

Well I had another go, this time measuring 50g of water to 100g of powder. I still found the mix too dry so I added 5g more of water, still too dry so another 5g of water was added totaling 60g of water to 100g of powder.
STUPID ME :oops: .....this time round I wanted to mist the moulds as recommended but I forgot due to the mix experimentation.
Still ended up with bubbles on some pieces and the mix seemed to start curing quicker than the suggested 30 mins so I had to rush get the moulds filled.
I'm wondering wether misting them will result in them having less bubbles as I do shake the moulds and bang on the table after filling them
Does anyone have a technique to fill the holes left by the bubbles?
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:17 pm

I've just checked my box of Linka to see what I've been using. The plaster is "Herculite No 2 Casting Plaster" from a seller on Ebay. On the packet it suggests 100g plaster to 42 ml water. I mix it using a 25 ml scoop (plaster) that came with my original Linka pack and a 10 ml scoop (water) that I bought separately. I don't mist the moulds, I wash them under the tab, shake them to get most of the water off and then pour the mix in while they are still damp.

When I first dug out my Linka gear out after an 18 year hibernation, I discoved that my original Linkalite mooulding compund had gone off. I tried Polyfilla and building plaster as I couldn't be bothered to buy the proper stuff, but they were too weak and I seem to recall that they did have bubbles.

I don't have major bubble issues with the Herculite, but it goes off quickly so I have to pour it in quick and then level it off with a straight edge.

To fit the parts together you may have to shave a fraction off at the joints using a disposible nail file. I glue the parts together with Wilko all purpose adhesive.

To hide the gaps between the sections, I sometimes paint some very diluted polyfilla on the inside along the joints to fill the gaps. Any surplus on the outside can be scribed out while its soft. I sometimes paint the inside of any building with slightly diluted PVA which is supposed to make it stronger.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:18 am

GeraldH wrote:The plaster is "Herculite No 2 Casting Plaster" from a seller on Ebay. On the packet it suggests 100g plaster to 42 ml water. I don't mist the moulds, I wash them under the tab, shake them to get most of the water off and then pour the mix in while they are still damp.
I don't have major bubble issues with the Herculite, but it goes off quickly so I have to pour it in quick and then level it off with a straight edge.
To fit the parts together you may have to shave a fraction off at the joints using a disposible nail file.

Thanks for the reply GeraldH.
Yes I also have the Herculite No.2 powder and I think you've just hit the nail on tha head for me.
Nowhere did I find the ratio 42ml to 100g of powder. Everywhere I found, it just said 40:100, so that made me think that the water was 40 GRAMMES not mililitres.
Now I know this I shall have another go with the new mix ratio and dampened moulds :D
I have been using a needle file to fettle any parts that didn't want to fit together which has been working a treat, although most do not need it and also using a metal pallette knife as my straight edge.... 50p from a boot sale.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:47 am

I think you'll find when you measure out 40ml of water it will look remarkably similar to 40 grams/grammes of water... ;)
"listen carefully, i shall say this only once"

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:33 am

flying scotsman123 wrote:I think you'll find when you measure out 40ml of water it will look remarkably similar to 40 grams/grammes of water... ;)

Depends on the temperature - but at room temperature you can make that approximation.

How long do the moulds last for - do they tend to crack or are they quite durable? The reason why I ask is that I have heard that silicone moulds (if these are made of that material) can perish with frequent use.

EDITED FOR PUNCTUATION.
Last edited by skyblue on Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:25 pm

skyblue wrote:
flying scotsman123 wrote:How long do the moulds last for - do they tend to crack or are they quite durable. The reason why I ask is that I have heard that silicone moulds (if these are made of that material) can perish with frequent use.

Considering I bought my Linka set only this year and they stopped making Linka around the mid to late 80's, i'd say they can't be silicon.
As for durabililty,I have made around 50 full moulds worth and I twist and flex them quite a lot when getting the dry casts out and they seem to take it and go back to thier original shape very nicely.
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Return to “New discoveries???”