Cheap Carriages

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
NickB

Cheap Carriages

Post by NickB »

Ay up all, might have been mentioned before, but I just got back from me local ASDA, and with me I brought home a new bi-weekly publication called 'YOUR MODEL RAILWAY VILLAGE'. It's not long been out so still on the first issue, and along with a mag full of advice for newbies, you get a good representation of a BR Mk1 carriage, and a short piece of straight track. The carriage is fairly good, the wheels are a bit coarse, but it's fully painted in BR maroon, and has no numbers so you could do this yourself.

I would upload a pic, but have nothing but grief trying. Now, the thing is, this first issue is only £3.99. So, for about £20 you could get a rake of 5 reasonable mk1 carriages.
I bought 3...

If anyone buys them, let us know what you think...... 8)
NickB

Re: Cheap Carriages

Post by NickB »

Just noticed this posted in the General section... :oops:
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

more info + images on this thread

definitely worth a look :D
Last edited by Admin4 on Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

alex3410 wrote:more info + images on this thread

defiantly worth a look :D
I think you mean definitely :lol:
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

edited - thank you.

my spelling is poor i know normally the spell checker helps but when the word is spelt correctly just the wrong word it tends to slip through
Roger (RJ)

Post by Roger (RJ) »

alex3410 wrote:edited - thank you.

my spelling is poor i know normally the spell checker helps but when the word is spelt correctly just the wrong word it tends to slip through
Yes, spilling chequers heave a loot too answer four. :lol:
3raildriver

Post by 3raildriver »

Yes i thought that it was two good an offer so bought four.However as i only run Hornby Dublo i may have running issues on 1st curve and points esp on the 3 rail layout maybe not on the two rail lay out,mabe the spring will have to be removed?.I have had to change one coupling to the old peco type to connect up to the HD locos.But they look good .The track & the mag ect went int the recycleing bin.
Sure and Steadfast
Woodywood

Post by Woodywood »

The wheels are pants and would replace as soon as possible
glencairn

Post by glencairn »

Woodywood wrote:The wheels are pants and would replace as soon as possible
The magazine has disappeared from our local newsagents. Couldn't have had any buyers!!!!

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.
I Cannot Afford the Luxury of a Negative Thought
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

these magazines tend to work by subscription and only have a few issues in stores to get you hooked

i imagine its because they make more cash that way or because WHS's etc wont give it shelf space as the demand declines after the first X issues.
Mountain

Post by Mountain »

Woodywood wrote:The wheels are pants and would replace as soon as possible
I thought the wheels were plastic but after reading somewhere about them with someone who replaced their wheels, they found the wheels to actually be metal wheels. They just have a plastic look to them. The only thing I would change myself is I am not keen on the close coupling designs used today. They just have too much flex, and add to this the new pockets which add further flex and one has buffer locking or uncoupling potential.
The first coaches I bought to have this design were the impressive looking Bachmann Mk1's when they first came out. I was so dissapointed in the way they ran over uneven track I sold the rake I bought within weeks of buying them at a reduced price. The sad thing today is one does not know if any new coaches have close coupling or not so I stopped buying coaches except for secondhand when I knew they didnt have the feature, though the last couple of years I've not had funds to spend.
The cheap coaches that were offered, other then the close coupling are actually impressive, and certainly an absolute bargain.
I've heard those who did collect the series ended up spending a similar price then if they had bought sets and made a model railway that way, so the series was worth considering for those who were interested. For most of us modellers we prefer to do our own thing so maybe not ideal in that way, but it is certainly an attractive idea for beginners into the hobby.
Myself? I have to admit to buying a few coaches! :oops: They were sitting there in the newsagents and not many seemed to notice them.