Free Black Soot Weathering

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Shaun Wilson

Free Black Soot Weathering

Postby Shaun Wilson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:23 pm

Not sure if this is a new discovery but will share this with you's anyway. While changing the toner cartridge in the works printer (always a messy job) i noticed the toner powder was very plyable which got me thinking, could this be used for weathering on my models. so with cartridge in hand away home i went. this is the results.

the cartridge

once you easily remove the filling point it then becomes a discharge point.

the leftover toner gave me about a 1/4 fill jar

just a light coat of toner gave this result

then sealed with hairspray

hopefully be of some use.
Last edited by Shaun Wilson on Tue May 08, 2012 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thebritfarmer

Re: Free Black Soot Weathering

Postby thebritfarmer » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:45 pm

Sounds like a good idea, is it not messy though? When we change it here at work it seems to get everywhere.
All Aboooooard !!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:55 am

Toner is foul stuff to deal with because of it's fine nature. It's difficult to get off your hands and even more difficult to get out of clothing. (cold water and vigorous agitation works best) Even worse if blown into the air it forms an explosive suspension. (just the same as flour does). Most cartridges come with a poly bag for the used one. Be green send them back for recycling, or hand them over to one of the charities who collect them as a fund raiser.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Its also not good for you if inhaled
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:35 pm

its messy stuff to work with but with due care can be handled with very little if not none mess. when i tipped the excess into the jar i was wearing latex gloves and dust mask as i find this best practise when working with any dusty substance. once its in the jar the only point of contact from there is with the weathering brush so not realy messy at all to use. as for the cartridge, rest assured it will be sent back for recycling as i only need the contents of it. :wink:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:01 pm

Just as long as you are aware, it's ok. Seal your pot with a bit of clingfilm or find one with a screw top. A Tupperware type seal might just produce the explosive cloud. In the sixties and seventies engineers working on large photo copiers fell foul of tickling the dragons tongue. The machines had a toner recovery system which was effectively a vacuum cleaner. The unofficial way of cleaning them out was to cheat the door switches and run the recovery system, then sweep the toner towards it with a radiator brush. The tickling the tongue bit came when the metal of the brush touched a spinning mandrel at the inboard end, the sparks ignited the cloud which shot out as a tongue of flame. A number of nylon shirts were lost to this procedure before it was banned.
John W
aka Bufferstop.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:38 pm

Im using a coffee jar with a screw on lid so its well sealed but i will sure as hell watch out for that, dont think the missus would put up with me setting the house on fire. Thanks for the advice John.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:22 pm

This modelling business is a dangerous game.... might be safer to take up potholing or hang gliding
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Shaun Wilson

Postby Shaun Wilson » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:13 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:This modelling business is a dangerous game.... might be safer to take up potholing or hang gliding

:lol: :lol:

noel

Postby noel » Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:56 am

+

Another is, 'Don't eat lettuce and tomato sandwiches working with white metal kits".

+

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:12 pm

sorry to drag this up agai, but what is wrong with crumbling burnt wood gone black up? you can get more, you can have a ice warm fire whilst doing it, and you get just the same amount of mess and inhaling probelms! plus it doesn't set fire as a powder. i crumbled some up with my hands, then sieved it to get a nice fine powder. now in a tupperware container which it doesn't come out of waiting to be sprinkled all over the place!
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

poliss

Postby poliss » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:41 pm

Wood is very acidic. (That's why paper goes brown.) Could damage your models if there's still acid left in the carbon. It's not as if proper weathering powders or pastels will break the bank.

johnco

Postby johnco » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:34 pm

Hold a lighted candle under a dinnerplate or sheet of glass, a deposit of soot will form on the surface which can then be rubbed on with ones finger or a fine haired brush.

flying scotsman123
Location: err, down there round the corner... not that one!!!

Postby flying scotsman123 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:39 pm

poliss wrote:Wood is very acidic. (That's why paper goes brown.) Could damage your models if there's still acid left in the carbon. It's not as if proper weathering powders or pastels will break the bank.

sorry, should have been more clear, i was considering just using it on the ground around the station yard, rather for weathering on stock, would this be ok providing i didn't get it on the rails of course (masking tape?)
Stone station in pre-grouping days, my layout.

poliss

Postby poliss » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:36 pm

Should be fine on the ground.

Return to “New discoveries???”