Decals: make your own on the computer

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
stephenson

Decals: make your own on the computer

Postby stephenson » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:36 pm

I did not find any reference to a previous post about this.
I have been looking for local (to my area and period) decals and alternative lettering etc for things like the Fife Coal Company and Wemyss and many others which are much more specific to individual collieries, local merchants etc, but this could be any area of your choice for 'private owner' wagons, which do so much to individuate a layout in area and period.
I find some specially ordered runs of vehicles from major manufacturers and then I find this...
[url]Decals: make your own on the computer[/url]
I wondered how they did it and now I will do it for myself.
S
batteries not included

stephenson

Re: Decals: make your own on the computer

Postby stephenson » Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:38 pm

I tried pressing the 'edit' button
[url]craftycomputerpaper.co.uk[/url]
S
batteries not included

Shedman

Postby Shedman » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 am

I've tried Crafty Computer paper. There are two types for ink jet printer use, clear backing and white backing. I've had no sucess with the clear backing because the printer ink is not dense enough to show up properly, even on pale surfaces. The white backing works better, but can leave a white edge around the decal, which you need to touch in with weathering etc. You need to design your decal on a graphics package (I use Photoshop Elements), print it on the paper then, when the ink is dry, spray it with acrylic clear varnish to seal it. Gloss seems to work best. I leave overnight to set properly and use as normal waterslide. Use warm, not hot, water, as hot water can make the edges curl, revealing more of the white backing.
I've thought about getting a laser printer for this.I'd be interested to know if anyone's tried it, particularly with clear backing paper. Trevor
The future is farther than you think

stocktondarling

Postby stocktondarling » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:25 pm

I thank you for this advice. I will try them and see what happens
Stockie

son of triangman

Postby son of triangman » Sun Nov 22, 2009 12:21 pm

I use Crafty Computer paper, from time to time. I find the white backed paper the best, it has been most useful for making replica Tri-ang transfers.

ROZ

Postby ROZ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:09 pm

This looks excellent. Must give it a go. I'm respaying a bunch of locos at the moment and this should do the trick nicely.
Back on the footplate after almost 2 years - DIY DCC will not beat me...
(chuff chuff)

ROZ

Postby ROZ » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:37 pm

Shedman wrote:The white backing works better, but can leave a white edge around the decal

Trevor,
Does this mean you need to cut very close around the decal before to put it into water. Is any "non-printed" portion of the decal white, or does that come out clear as per the photo how-to on their website?
Back on the footplate after almost 2 years - DIY DCC will not beat me...
(chuff chuff)

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:53 pm

I've also been looking into making my own decals and noticed that laser paper is available now which means that the image doesn't have to be varnished befoe it's used. This seems much simpler and quicker. Has anyone used the laser paper?

I'm thinking of printing black lettering to put on mid-blue rolling stock, so the clear paper seems the obvious way to go? If I used white paper, I guess I would have to try and print a background colour that would match the colour of the rolling stock? I can't imagine that a perfect match would be possible and so it would probably not look so good?
Gerald H - BNR Correspondent :)

My layout: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... hp?t=28854

SouthernBoy

Postby SouthernBoy » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:16 pm

I've no advice to give I'm afraid - just registering my interest as like you Stephenson, I need to make decals specific to my preferred time and place and none are commercially available.

I had read about craftycomputerpaper, but to date have got no further than bookmarking the page ...

So 'good call' with starting this thread :)

poliss

Postby poliss » Fri Oct 01, 2010 3:42 pm

GeraldH, do you have a laser printer because laser paper won't work properly with bubblejet printers.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:00 pm

stephenson wrote:I tried pressing the 'edit' button
http://www.craftycomputerpaper.co.uk
S

Ignore my messing about, I was just trying to see why the url had'n't worked, answer seemed to be the lack of at least a www at start. The editor must do a lookup for valid address as not all urls start with a www.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

noel

Postby noel » Sat Oct 02, 2010 4:41 pm

+

Try this for Scottish PO wagons.

http://www.modelmasterdecals.com/POW4mm.php

+

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:28 pm

poliss wrote:GeraldH, do you have a laser printer because laser paper won't work properly with bubblejet printers.

Yes I have a black and white laser. I think I'm going to buy a clear sheet from Crafty Computer Paper and attempt some black lettering and see what happens. If that works I might play with some coloured lettering on a white sheet. I guess there's no substitute for trying it yourself :)

poliss

Postby poliss » Sun Oct 03, 2010 3:46 pm

I would contact Crafty Computer Paper to see which of the papers they sell is best suited to your purpose. I see that they make dual inkjet/laser paper.

GeraldH

Postby GeraldH » Wed Oct 06, 2010 6:54 pm

I've been checking out suppliers. Crafty Computer Paper seem to want GBP 2.99 for postage which obviously makes buying one sheet as a test rather unattractive! I've seen suppliers on Ebay who charge less than GBP 1.00 for postage, so I may try an EBay sheet. Has anyone here tried any of the Ebay suppliers? I guess that most of the paper comes from the same wholesaler anyway?

Return to “New discoveries???”