Fibre optic lighting

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
ROZ

Re: Fibre optic lighting

Postby ROZ » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Martin7, that is OUTSTANDING!

I've taken a bit of a sabatical but after going to the recent Southampton MRX I'm fired up once more, and buying stuff I can't run (yet)!!!! Funny thing is I did use this technique to illuminate a clock I put in my MX-5 (off topic I know...)
Back on the footplate after almost 2 years - DIY DCC will not beat me...
(chuff chuff)

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:10 pm

Martin 71

I have to ditto ROZ's previous comments. Your work is simply STUNNING. I've just spent a while browsing through your youtube channel and was completely blown away. That said, i am now left with that sort of empty feeling when i look at my fleet :wink:

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 1:01 am

dubdee1000 wrote:Martin 71

I have to ditto ROZ's previous comments. Your work is simply STUNNING. I've just spent a while browsing through your youtube channel and was completely blown away. That said, i am now left with that sort of empty feeling when i look at my fleet :wink:

I totally agree! I can't believe ive not replied sooner and congratulated you on your OUTSTANDING work! I remember looking at the pictures and videos absolutely awestruck!

tuxychuff

Postby tuxychuff » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:43 pm

Brilliant, how about getting "steam" (smoke) To come from the whistle at the same time as the sound is trigggered

Evaret

Postby Evaret » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:01 am

I am really impressed with this type of lighting and what has been done. Congrats to Martin 71 and the others for their awesome work. I would like to try it.

But I can't work out how the lighting is powered? The lights in the engines seem to be powered through the DCC decoder?

I would be interested in doing some lighting without fiddling with a decoder.I would appreciate any advice on how I could set up an alternative power supply.

Thanks
Evaret

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:24 pm

Anyone got any tips on cutting the fibre optic without crushing it??

Bob
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

trainsandco

Postby trainsandco » Fri Apr 09, 2010 6:57 pm

just snapping it is a good way
A layout is never finished, it's just a shortage of ideas or time.

Southerner in a weird place called "Yorkshire"...

81D & 55A

bigbob

Postby bigbob » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:04 pm

Not very accurate though if you have 3mm sticking out the front of a Loco and want to cut it to size!
Growing old is compulsary, growing up is optional!

ALL CLASS 50`S SHOULD BE CUT UP INTO SMALL PIECES AND USED FOR SOMETHING MORE USEFUL LIKE A PAPER-WEIGHT

edwardholmes91

Postby edwardholmes91 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:20 am

Seems a bit overkill but how about using something like a dremel? It might make it go a bit translucent on the end thought. Or try using a nice sharp knife. If you use something like a pair of wire cutters then I guess you get the crushed thing? Or again with sissors I suppose the same would happen.

ste234

Postby ste234 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:26 pm

Hmmm... Martin i love the shot of the n gauge model, very tempting indeed...
Might have to have a look at ordering some fibres and having a go at my 168 Chiltern, it cries out for lights!
'Springfield', N gauge Modern Era Layout

johnco

Postby johnco » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:42 pm

All the fibre optic lights that i have used has come from a xmas tree found in a skip, I have enough to last for ever.
A bulb can be formed by holding the end of the fibre above a match or lighter, do not breathe in the fumes and be careful that the whole lot does not catch fire. I do it above the gas cooker (in the off mode) but with the extractor fan on. The bulb can then be glued at the back of the hole drilled in the loco body.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:20 pm

As well as discarded Christmas trees you should look out for old 60s style UFO lamps, they had a bundle of fibres about an inch in diameter coming out of the top, 100s of fibres about nine inches long.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:27 am

Have a look at this for interest.[urlhttp://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=35276][/url]. when doing coach/stock, tail light why bother with optical fibres when a 2 mm = 6'' led is just about correct scale size if the pip is filed off to almost flush with the main block a 10k resistor producing acceptable o/p level off DCC.Paint black then white so light only shows through filed 'lens'..The wire in tube method I concocted for the Pullmans, while worked, proved difficult to connect together, age and eyes getting on etc., so how have others connected a rake of coaches together so coaches can be parted, lighting switched, no flicker,no permanent wiring between, and not connected to loco, allowing loco change ?.. Doing some more coaches, I've now joined 'others' by using the warm white LED strips for coach internal lighting, rather than individual led's, a limiting resistor in each coach/strip feed to reduce the too bright light O/P. bit more expensive but easier. Beeman.
edit. 99p and pound shops stock fibre optic mares tail lights, but fibre being small diameter do not transmit much light. Size is important, unless optical concentrators/intensifiers are available .Found the xmas tree material brittle/broke when bent.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:38 pm

Try this if looking for a supplier at reasonable cost.[url]
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Component-Shop ... op=1&_vc=1[/url]
Beeman.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:48 pm

Hi
As Beeman said why bother,

tail light why bother with optical fibres when a 2 mm = 6'' led is just about correct scale size if the pip is filed off

totally agree if your eyesight is failing.

On the other hand if it is not failing I would if that's your interest go the full hog. In most cases you need to use optic fibre in n gauge. I use it in OO, O etc for dash lights warning buttons on carriage doors etc.

This is n gauge

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8Qh01LkJaU

Optic fibre was used right through these 2 n gauge HST's giving you 16 fully independent lighting functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vs2sOVac-p0

Day v night shot optic fibre used in bar area and fully controlled by 4 function decoder.

Another Pullman with the table lights switched off.

If you want to have it looking good fibre is the way to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUwgaHOTlPY

I could only achieve this with fibre.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YB2958lE_eg

I don't bother joining any of my coaches any more not worth the hassle, I just put a decoder into each one.

Anyway thanks for the previous comments guys much appreciated, family and work has consumed far more of my hobby life but I hope to rein it back in soon.

Cheers

Martin

Return to “New discoveries???”