Fibre optic lighting

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Re: Fibre optic lighting

Postby beeman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:46 pm

When did you win the Lottery Martin ?, Seriously if you can afford to fit decoders into each coach then you are one of a very small minority able to afford. Most would find it difficult to justify fitting a second decoder to the coach rake as well as the loco, including myself, taking costs into account. Certainly if one has a number of rakes to fit. For me it was a way of using my motor o/p 'buggered' decoders to good use, where the Aux 1 and lighting o/p's were still operating. Must admit the pics you posted are impressive, especially when in N. The complications of fitting flickering firebox led's, smokers, and headcode lighting in 00 are as far as I want to go, along with working Ratio semaphores, N too small for my desires.Beeman.
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

beeman
Location: Within earshot of the sea and the Paignton&Dartmouth

Postby beeman » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:07 pm

For those previously asking how to cut the fibres. I used a sharp DIY type knife initially, side cutters tend to squash the fibre before shearing. I then used a sharp file to dress the end and found this seemed better for the light o/p. When fitting the table 'lights' to the Triang Pullmans, I filed the end to a angle to create a larger surface, this also gave out more light, and more effective when the 'shades' fitted. Prior to retirement using fibre type optical sensors,, a small cutter was supplied, similar to a cigar cutter, a small guillotine with a sharp blade, cross holes through the body with a slot to hold the blade square. Beeman
You wo'nt find you 'CAN' unless you 'TRY'.

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:56 am

Hi

No I didnt win lottery, but it would be nice. I dont think Im in a small minority as I know plenty of people who do fit all their coaches with decoders here in Aus. I actually fit most of my building with decoders also.

I also build in 00 and some of my locos have up to 4 decoders fitted so I can have very prototypical lighting.

Its something for me to pass the time when I work away.

Cheers

Martin

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:32 am

The correct tool for the job of cutting

then polish the ends
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:56 am

beeman wrote:When did you win the Lottery Martin ?,

He's living in WA - it's almost as good! With the mining boom over there it's like a gold rush :shock:
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

Martin71

Postby Martin71 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:51 am

Ok you got me on that one, all I will say is I do work on the mines and have some very desirable qualifications.

Im not going to say what I earn but you wouldn't believe what some of our apprentices get.

Martin

ngresley

Postby ngresley » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:21 am

Martin71 wrote:Ok you got me on that one, all I will say is I do work on the mines and have some very desirable qualifications.

Hmmm... Geologist or mining engineer? Or possibly IT?

Martin71 wrote:Im not going to say what I earn

Methinks well into six figures given reports of truck drivers in the mines getting $100k...

Advice to young Australians: GO WEST YOUNG MAN :lol:
"I'd like to die quietly in my sleep like my grandfather, rather than screaming in terror like his passengers"

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:45 am

Im hoping something with exposives :twisted:
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Return to “New discoveries???”