Magnetic Uncoupling For Bachmann Couplings

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
Brian Kirby

Magnetic Uncoupling For Bachmann Couplings

Postby Brian Kirby » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi Everyone,
Here's my method of automating Bachmann Blue Riband couplings, hope it may be of interest.
Basically, it uses re-shaped steel office staples and pairs of magnets buried under the track. The staple tails are attracted down by the magnets, causing the hooks to rise, but only when the hooks are unlocked (i.e. slack). By all means try the idea yourself.
Cheers, Brian.
Two vans coupled to the left, buried magnets located as shown. Two spare magnets in front to show size.
The two vans coupled in tension over the magnets, remain coupled.
The train reverses slightly, unlocking the couplings, the hooks rise.
One van is drawn away to the left.
To recouple, the vans are pushed backwards over and away from the magnets, they recouple.
Plain ballasted track, magnets not visible.

trains!

Re: Magnetic Uncoupling For Bachmann Couplings

Postby trains! » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:45 pm

Saw this on rmweb, good job. I might try it for some of my stock, and if i like it use it.
Jake
Modelling Jakey's Junction!....
See here for my plan:
viewtopic.php?f=44&t=19546

Part of NRM'S officail freight masters
dudes club :cool:

pete12345

Postby pete12345 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:26 pm

now there's an idea :D I may try this- looks so much better than those awful uncoupling ramps. Just have to remember where you put the magnets lol. Maybe a strategically placed railway worker or something...
Once an engine attached to a train, was afraid of a few drops of rain...

Brian Kirby

Postby Brian Kirby » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:22 pm

Hi Chaps,
Yes you could put in some subtle markers to show where the magnets are positioned. If you are not using sound chips in your locos and your layout room is quiet enough, you can hear the couplings click as they unlock. Failing that, just watch the couplings carefully, to see the hooks rise.
You could add more magnets to the original pair (rotate the new magnet/s until it sticks to the originals), to increase the "uncoupling area", but bear in mind that you will have to push wagons further back to recouple (i.e. clear of the magnets).
Cheers, Brian.

alfred.edes

Postby alfred.edes » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:28 pm

Hi Everyone
What a brilliant idea!!!!
have tried it on the Hornby couplings and it works good, the only thing is what size are the magnets you are using, as mine are the ones that are used in the sprat & winkle fit up. and also the fitting of the paper clip I have stuck mine with super glue,if there is another way I would be very interested.
Thanks Alf

Brian Kirby

Postby Brian Kirby » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Hi Alf,
Apologies for not replying sooner. The magnets that i use (and appear in the photos) are from magnetic door catches, as used on kitchen cabinets, etc. I obtain mine from Screwfix, Part.No. 14897, and are sold as White 32mm Magnetic Catches. They're quite cheap, about £2 for ten, which of course will create five uncoupling positions. The magnets have to be extracted from their plastic bodies, it's a bit like shelling cockles !
Not paper clips Alf, they're too hard and stiff, use steel office staples, crimp and superglue.
Cheers, Brian.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:02 pm

I guess there is no reason why electro magnets could not be used instead of regular ones
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Brian Kirby

Postby Brian Kirby » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:06 pm

Yes Essex2,
You could use electro-magnets, but is it worth it ? Extra expense, extra work fitting all those buttons and wiring. You'd have to wire-up the electromagnets to work in unison and you'd have to press a button everytime. The only advantage is it would avoid accidental uncoupling, but then that can be avoided anyway by a bit of fine tuning and getting the coupling bar height right.
Cheers, Brian.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:08 am

Brian Kirby wrote:Yes Essex2,
You could use electro-magnets, but is it worth it ? Extra expense, extra work fitting all those buttons and wiring. You'd have to wire-up the electromagnets to work in unison and you'd have to press a button everytime. The only advantage is it would avoid accidental uncoupling, but then that can be avoided anyway by a bit of fine tuning and getting the coupling bar height right.
Cheers, Brian.

I never looked at it that way. I find it hard to stick to the old adage "keep it simple" I always want a control panel that looks like something from the starship enterprise

Proud member of the OAM

Graymee

Postby Graymee » Tue Mar 24, 2009 7:50 pm

Brian, you are a genius! :wink:

I just did a quick search to see if i could find any info on the "Kaddee" (I think thats right,) couplings as they seem to be all the rage on the exhibition layouts and i stumbled accross this! :D :D

Much cheaper than the Kaddee ones, no electromagnets to mess around with, no fiddling around changing all coulings on rolling stock, FANFLIPPINTASTIC :D :D :D

I've tried using an uncoupling ramp but it's just hit n miss as to when it works or doesn't, can't be doing with a pokey stickey inny thingy.
Off to screwfix it is then!

Cheers

Graeme
Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
My layout thread:-
Loxley Lane
I started another thread for trackplanning, if anyone is interested
My trackplan thread

Brian Kirby

Postby Brian Kirby » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:45 pm

Glad you like it Graeme,
Let us know how you get on. Fitting the bent-up staples is fiddly, but gets easy with practice.
Cheers, Brian.

m mcdermott

Postby m mcdermott » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:39 pm

brilliant idea give that man a gong ,now my track is laid and ballested wanted magnets for under 9mm ply . ideas please anybody billy :D
61215 billy carver

Rammy

Postby Rammy » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:43 pm

This looks a great idea Brian. Nice and simple - just the way I like it.
I am sure to give this a go when I get round to my sidings.

Dave

Brian Kirby

Postby Brian Kirby » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi Billy,
Since your track is already laid and ballasted, you could try cutting out the centre of the sleepers and digging out a hole long enough for the pair of magnets, then replace the sleepers and re-ballast. It will be a bit tricky and you'll have to make sure the track stays in gauge.
Cheers, Brian.

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:45 pm

m mcdermott wrote:brilliant idea give that man a gong ,now my track is laid and ballested wanted magnets for under 9mm ply . ideas please anybody billy :D

Can you not carefully drill holes in the underside

Proud member of the OAM

Return to “New discoveries???”