EFFORTLESS CLEANING TRACK!

Have you stumbled upon something really cool and new in model railway. Share it with us.
son of triangman

Re: EFFORTLESS CLEANING TRACK!

Postby son of triangman » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:27 am

The problem with track rubbers are they are notorious muck spreaders, spreading dust and dirt everywhere and scratching the railhead as well.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:00 pm

Your observations please.

Due to certain circumstances my 'OO' and 'Z' layouts have been lying idle for some time now, and in this thread IPA seems to the best solution to use to clean the tracks but I have read information that states it is potentially corrosive because of its water content, has anyone noticed any corrosion due to its use and Is it still the 'best' or has it been replaced by something else.

I have used other track cleaning liquids before and I do have track rubbers but I prefer not to use them if possible,

Many Thanks.
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:24 pm

Lancastrian wrote:Your observations please.

Due to certain circumstances my 'OO' and 'Z' layouts have been lying idle for some time now, and in this thread IPA seems to the best solution to use to clean the tracks but I have read information that states it is potentially corrosive because of its water content, has anyone noticed any corrosion due to its use and Is it still the 'best' or has it been replaced by something else.

I have used other track cleaning liquids before and I do have track rubbers but I prefer not to use them if possible,

Many Thanks.

Nickel Silver track does not corrode, steel does (readily). IPA will clean Nickle silver with little problem, just make sure that after cleaning with a cloth charged with IPA, you follow up with a dry cloth to ensure all the residue has been cleaned away.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:24 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:Nickel Silver track does not corrode, steel does (readily). IPA will clean Nickle silver with little problem, just make sure that after cleaning with a cloth charged with IPA, you follow up with a dry cloth to ensure all the residue has been cleaned away. Jim
Thanks Jim :D
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:58 am

WHAT?! :o
You mean I can use a cloth? No wonder my track cleaning takes so long. I have been using IPA covered cotton buds! :oops:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:48 am

I use a stick-on felt furniture foot, stuck to the handle part of a disposable razor. I pour some IPA into a plastic lid, dip the pad in and rub. After a few goes I discovered it's better to aid the "stick-on" with a blob of hot melt glue.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “New discoveries???”