Buss wiring to storage roads

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
lenht1951

Buss wiring to storage roads

Post by lenht1951 »

Hi all, my DC controlled layout consists of 3 circuits, I have installed buss wires underneath for each circuit, 3 buss in total. The last buss attachment on each circuit is just before points which splits a single circuit into 3 storage lines which allows two locos to be stored whilst one completes a full circuit. The question is how do I easily isolate the other two storage sidings for each circuit, whilst still having a buss attached to them. My reason for asking is that I have doubled the length of the storage area to 12 feet and would like a reliable feed to the tracks. Hope that makes sense. Thanks in advance for any advice, :D
Flashbang

Re: Buss wiring to storage roads

Post by Flashbang »

I feel you really don't have a lot of choices!
1) Add On/Off switches to the rail feed after the point, together with Insulated Rail Joiners (IRJs) to make the isolating section(s) fitted in the one rail which then has the feed from the switch onto it too.
or
2) Just use the point itself to isolate the track ahead of the point and don't add rail feeds to these rails.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

If you intend to store two trains in each siding then you will have to provide a rail break mid distance and another on-off switch for each.
Edit - are your sidings dead end or through sidings. If through sidings then use the points at each end as your isolators and the rail break in the middle as your separator. You could then arrange for an auto shuffle up of trains as the one ahead moves out.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I previously had a storage yard of four tracks each split to allow two trains in each. The first half of each was isolated by the self switching of the points the further half was fed from the first half through a lever microswitch at the far end. The levers of the switches had a large plasticard square faced with foam rubber. When a train entered a siding it ran to the end and pushed on the microswitch, and isolated that half of the siding. A push button across the microswitch allowed a train to be reversed out. When bringing a second train into the siding you needed to be able to see where the isolating gap, or the tail end of the first train was.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
lenht1951

Post by lenht1951 »

Thanks to Bufferstop and RAF96 for your input, and thanks to Flashbang for the information which I will follow as the storage roads are not dead ends. Thanks again guys,don't know what I would do without this sites guidance. :D