Gaugemaster Combi Wiring Query

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
GoldenOldie

Gaugemaster Combi Wiring Query

Postby GoldenOldie » Fri Jan 14, 2022 12:24 pm

I'm a complete railway modelling newbie, building my first layout (see https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56932 for details).

Now in possession of a Gaugemaster Combi controller I need to wire it to my layout but I have a couple of questions:

Track Feeds

I need to have two power feeds to the tracks, either side of my two sets of points. The Combi only has one (two wire) output. Do I need to wire from the Combi to a Chocolate Block and have the two Peco power feed joiners (so four wires) connecting to that?

Point Motor Power

The Combi also has two wire outputs that can power accessories. I have two point motors so do I wire the Combi to the CDU I have purchased and then from the CDU to the point motors?

Let me know if I need to provide more detail, and thanks for any guidance!

Bufferstop

Re: Gaugemaster Combi Wiring Query

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:19 pm

You seem to have the idea. You will only be able to run one train at a time with a single combi. You will however still be able to cross from one loop to the other by as you say putting both sets of wires into a choc-block connector. Depending on what you plan, ie fitting point motors rather than operating them manually, planning to add more points anytime soon than you will need the CDU, it takes power from the accessory outlet and builds up a charge to operate the point motors. If they are wired together to form a crossover the combi may not always operate both motors without the CDU.
You will see in some places references to fitting insulating rail joiners to the rails that form the V in the points. If these are set track points or Peco "Insulfrog" points that isn't necessary but is worth knowing, but essential if you are going to use Peco "Electrofrog" points. Finally the wires to the inner and outer loops connect the same way round, if you connect the red wire to the outer rail of the outer loop then red goes to the outer rail of the inner loop and the two black wires to the two the inner rail of each loop. If forward makes the train go clockwise on the outer loop it will still go clockwise on the inner one. If you think about it you wouldn't be able to get across the crossover if it didn't.
There's a load of good advice here it's author is one of our moderators I'll leave you to work out who.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GoldenOldie

Postby GoldenOldie » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:14 pm

Thanks Bufferstop, good to know I was on the right track so to speak! I'll work through the information in the link, looks really well set out and helpful so thanks for that too.

I was originally planning to run the power from the Combi into a six-pin DIN socket on a panel on the layout, and from there to the CDU and track respectively, but I have no idea how to do that so in the short term I'm thinking I'll take the easy option I suggested and you confirmed above.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:51 pm

The six pin din would not be difficult, The only problem being the connections at the hand held part. If you are prepared to forsake the Gaugemaster lifelong warranty they are quite easy to open up and change the wiring. I have three handhelds, which are virtually the same thing and have opened all of them to put in a slightly heavier cable and one of them has an extra core and an additional switch inside it. The switch links to one side of the supply and routes it back down the lead when reverse is selected. One panel socket uses the extra wire to operate a relay which un-reverses the reverse DC output and re-reverses it after passing through an ammeter and voltmeter on the panel, that gives me a visual indication of how a loco is running. A tightspot as the wheels rotate, or a wheelback wiper losing contact give a very distinctive wobble on the meters, and a stall with power getting through is easy to distinguish from one where it isn't.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:10 pm

The only Gaugemaster I altered was the handheld unit and that was because I had an issue. I wanted my layout to be capable of night running.
The problem I had with a handheld unit was to find the thing in the dark! Ok for a panel mounted controller where one can feel where it is but a handheld that plugs into various positions is another matter.
So I opened it up and installed a green LED so wherever it was, in the dark I could find it.

GoldenOldie

Postby GoldenOldie » Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:06 am

Thanks everyone. I'll be taking this step by step so may be back here with further questions - some of the science is already blinding me :shock: :)

I've made the decision to avoid the DIN element for now. One for later perhaps but I really don't want to invalidate my warranty.

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”