LED resistors

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
brober

Re: LED resistors

Post by brober »

Looks like I'll be buying on eBay!
End2end

Post by End2end »

Not sure if it's any help but these are warm white LED's each with a 1K resistor lighting the building.
https://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/F ... 90#p692971
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
centenary

Post by centenary »

Here's a bit of an explanation and simply way to work out resistors for LEDs.

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/led-exp/
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

brober wrote:Thanks for that guys. I am using Guagemaster WM1 as the PSU. It is rated at 1.25 amps. I may be approaching its limit with these extra 26 LEDs as it is also powering station platform lighting and goods yard standards. We shall see when I fire it all up. If necessary I will separate into different circuits with separate PSUs.
So, lets assume each lit LED draws 0.01A (10 Milliamps). 26 lit LEDs will be 26 x 0.01 = 260 milliamp, so still around 0.99 (990 miilliamp) spare capacity on the PSU which can provide a maximum, of 1250milliamps! That is almost 1.0Amp spare! But always allow a little bit of free headroom of say 100ma on the maximum rating.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
brober

Post by brober »

As I have indicated before I am not electrically savvy!

I am looking at Brian's exceedingly helpful website and considering the wiring of the LEDs and the installation of the resistors. Brian's diagram (Electrical Page 3... Panel Indications and Seep PM1s) wiring shows the resistor set into the -ve return wire (black on the diagram). Now if I consider the power source is sending out power from the +ve terminal (red) then if the resistor is positioned after the LED then a full 12v will be hitting the LED. Have I got this wrong?

Using the link that Centenary quoted the resistor is shown to be "in front" of the LED in the +ve (red) wire. Hence my confusion!

Can someone please clarify where I should be placing the resistors... many thanks.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Resistors are limiting the current to the LED, That is their most important job. By default they also drop the volts too. It doesn't matter if they are all in the supply wires or the return wires. But where for example a panel pair of LEDs indicate Normal or Reverse point position, then can share one resistor in the Cathode (Negative) LED leads, as only one LED is lit at any one time. :D

Don't get hung up on volts arriving at a LED or which lead to wire the resistor in. So long as they have a series resistor of the minimum Ohm value required then they will work happily.. Increasing the Ohm value reduces the current the LED has available and eventually reduces that LEDs brightness until eventually it has insufficient current to illuminate. :o
brober

Post by brober »

Thanks Brian, clarification much appreciated. Hopefully I'll have no further queries. (I was going to say stupid questions but to me they are not stupid questions! ).
BTW all 26 turnouts are :now wired and switching perfectly.
Peterm

Post by Peterm »

We all had to start somewhere mate. It's as the old saying, "you live and learn."
Pete.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Hi
No problem and pleased to read you have your indications working.

The only stupid question is the one not asked :o Always ask and be sure :D
BrodVictor

Post by BrodVictor »

Hi....Picking the right resistor esteem is basic to guarantee your LED gets appropriate voltage and current. To guarantee you have the right resistor you should know three qualities from your circuit.

Versus - Supply Voltage - This is the force supply that you are utilizing to control your circuit.

Vf - Forward voltage for your LED. This is the voltage needed to turn on your LED.

In the event that - Forward Current for your LED. This is the current needed by your LED for activity.

With these numbers you can compute the obstruction ® needed with the accompanying condition.

R = (Vs - Vf)/If

order pcb
Last edited by BrodVictor on Fri May 21, 2021 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

You are correct. But doing this gives the MINIMUM resistor value in Ohms required. Increasing the resistance a little lowers the current consumption but does not reduce the LEDs illumination level and it also allows more LEDs to be add to the power source!
Of course, if the Ohm value is increased sharply then the LED will become dimmer in its light output until eventually it fails to illuminate at all when the Ohm value is excessive.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

You've just uncovered one of physic's dirty little secrets.
The voltage at a point needs to be with reference to something, usually earth, neutral, chassis or the like. The voltage across any part of a circuit is the potential difference.
12V on both rails, 0V potential difference = short circuit
+ 12v one side +3V on the other = 9V potential difference. (PD)
but we happily mix up the two terms and expect those not in on the secret to understand.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions