Conductive Paint

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
End2end

Conductive Paint

Post by End2end »

I've used a Circuit Works Conductive paint pen (8.5g) to bridge the plastic gap on wheels so they can pick up power from the track.
The pen was expensive, so needing more I looked around and found this conductive paint which is both cheaper and much larger at 50ml.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GAMD-Conduct ... 2749.l2649
I've painted it on a wheel set (like the pen before), tested it and can confirm it does indeed conduct.

I made an offer for £5 and it was accepted. :wink: But that's just between you, me, the forum and anyone else one the interwebbythingy who reads this. :lol:
No affiliation just a happy customer.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
RAF96

Re: Conductive Paint

Post by RAF96 »

I have used expensive repair ‘paint’ to make wires from an oil lamp up the porters arm and down to his feet where he stands on live contacts.
This small vial of silver loaded clear lacquer is sold to repair older rear screen heater breaks where the ‘element’ was on the glass and not in it. Unfortunately once opened it dries up far too quickly so plan your jobs when using it.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I first used it to repair identical breaks in the same line across the tailgate of 4 engineer's estate cars. Found the cause a particular sized box that everyone carried, it had a sharp corner at just the wrong height when the tailgate was closed. I put it on expenses as a darned sight cheaper than booking them all in for a new window. Had a heck of a shock when I went to buy some for my own use!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Wolseley

Post by Wolseley »

I have only so far used it for shorting out the plastic insulating bushes on driving wheel - first I drill away some of the insulation and then put some of the "paint" in the resulting indentation. Quite effective (and, if you're wondering why I would want to do such a thing, most of my locomotives and also the track on my layout are Hornby Dublo three rail but I do have a few two rail locomotives, which I need to convert to three rail if I am going to run them)

Following the comments by RAF96 though, I might try it on a broken bit of the rear window demister element on my Wolseley 15/60......
End2end

Post by End2end »

Wolseley wrote:first I drill away some of the insulation and then put some of the "paint" in the resulting indentation.
There's no need to go to all that trouble. Just paint over the insulation. :wink: I haven't had it fail yet.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

Following the comments by RAF96 though, I might try it on a broken bit of the rear window demister element on my Wolseley 15/60......
Masking tape either side of the ‘wire’ and apply several coats.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester