Charging an onboard lipo????

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
collectors

Charging an onboard lipo????

Post by collectors »

Hi, i am trying to make up an onboard charge circuit for a lipo battery "not li-on""so i just have a jack plug to charge. Now i can simply just have a two prong jack, but it would be nice if i could balance charge with a 4 prong jack. Is this possible?. It's on a 3s 11.1 lipo. Thanks
Bufferstop

Re: Charging an onboard lipo????

Post by Bufferstop »

Using multiring jackplugs would allow a four wire connection, but there's likely to be a spark or two when they are being plugged in. I blame my age related hearing loss on the number of occasions when the berk at the other end pulled his headset plug without turning down the gain so he could wander off to go and connect us to a different pair. If you managed to get the tip into the jack without causing a sound like a gunshot, then it got you when it was pushed fully home and the sleeve end made contact.
"Didn't you here the prompt alarm go off? "eh what y' say, - nah I'm, testing the new 1000pair cable", "Ah poor b****r, I'll give you a nudge when it's time to leave"
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
21C1

Post by 21C1 »

collectors

Post by collectors »

My alternative is using just a simple 12v jack & having an on board BMS battery protection board, BUT? they seem to advertise these for Lipo & Li-on, but i am not sure if they are for Lipo's as they seem to point more towards Li-on.
Attachments
lipo 3s.jpg
lipo 3s.jpg (39.96 KiB) Viewed 1263 times
collectors

Post by collectors »

Ah'ha, you got hear whilst typing. The board you suggested is for a Li-on battery & not sure if compatible with a Lipo battery ??? This is part of my problem. The above charge i think is for a single 3.7v single cell.
collectors

Post by collectors »

This should do it unless you can see a problem ??? "click on image to expand"
Attachments
train charger 3.JPG
abenn

Post by abenn »

Why does it have to be a jack plug, collectors? Would a simple 4-pin socket compatible with the balance plug on the battery not be the safest solution?

Having said that, as a user of LiPos in model aircraft for many years, I would normally advise against charging in-situ because of the fire that results if something goes wrong, and the fact that you may not be able to observe the swelling that usually gives a warning that it's going wrong.
collectors

Post by collectors »

abenn wrote:Why does it have to be a jack plug, collectors? Would a simple 4-pin socket compatible with the balance plug on the battery not be the safest solution?

Having said that, as a user of LiPos in model aircraft for many years, I would normally advise against charging in-situ because of the fire that results if something goes wrong, and the fact that you may not be able to observe the swelling that usually gives a warning that it's going wrong.
The problem with plugs like din style plugs is they tend to be a tight fit & not sure if i would end up damaging the model getting them in & out. , but i have actually purchased both & i will see how they feel. I might be able to glue some aluminum plate inside to give the wagon wall a bit more strength & use a din plug.
abenn

Post by abenn »

Rather than a DIN plug I was thinking more of a JST XH type plug, which is the type used as a balance plug on most LiPos I have.
collectors

Post by collectors »

I could look into that style of plug as well. The reason i am trying to keep it simple is my layout is a 35met shelf layout & is all 6'6" in the air & if pos was trying to park the train & carriages then plugin while all on the track. Now this will become easier when i build the heicore drop & back up again to make charging easier. But this won't be soon.
centenary

Post by centenary »

As someone who uses lipo packs to fly RC helis, I wouldnt advise charging in situ and never charge a pack without the balance cable plugged in to the charger. Repeated charging lipos without the balancer is a sure fire way to destroy your lipo quickly.

Whenever I charge my lipos I always balancer charge.

Im concerned using the jack plug to balance charge only has 2 wires whereas the balance lead has 4 on a 3S so proper balancing might not be happening.