Point motor control

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
Flashbang

Re: Point motor control

Postby Flashbang » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:28 pm

Sorry you're not correct!
CDU do not reduce the voltage it actually increases by 1.41 where an AC input supply is used! See my post previously above.
Once a CDU has discharged (regardless of if AC or DC fed) it cannot recharge until all the operating levers or switches are returned to the Off position. Hence a CDU both provides a 'Beefy' pulse of power to move a solenoid (1 or more) and it totally prevents accidental coil burn out.
The only time a CDU doesn't work well is with the very old design of the Hornby R044 black point lever. But that is not a fault of a CDU its the lever.
CDU doesn't necessarily need a large current power source to recharge.

As I said in many posts back ... You don't have to use one, but they will protect your solenoid motors!
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 8:39 pm

Sorry misinterpreted your post. I meant that it protects from burnouts. My apologies.

Jkelly

Postby Jkelly » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:00 pm

Well I really wan't expecting so much feedback, so thank you all very much!
In the end, when I made the order on Hattons I didn't purchase any point motors etc. as I felt that such a large investment would require more thought, there's no point in spending circa 200 pounds to realise you got it wrong. I bought some more track, tools and a Wills viaduct kit (with two extension packs) and a few other bits and bobs so really I have enough to keep me occupied! I still have every intention to use point motors in the future so your advice has not fallen on deaf ears, I will be referring back to all this information when the time comes.
So thank you all for the advice and stay safe.
Jonathan

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Sun Mar 29, 2020 5:17 pm

Hi Jonathan,

While you debate what sort of point motors to use - There is plenty of choose from - solenoid to stall motors to servo operated and more too. But I would recommend that you plan ahead when track laying and ensure you drill a hole or cut a slot directly under each points moving Tie Bar (Stretcher bar) in line with the points drive pin hole. As if you decide to fit under baseboard motors later it is extremely difficult to drill the drive pin hole once everything is laid down and secured.
Minimum I would do is to drill either a 9mm dia hole in the middle and directly under the hole in the points moving Tie bar or drill 2 x 4mm dia. holes side by side and slot them into one elongated hole. Then whatever motor drive is chosen the drive pin simply passes up through the slot or hole into the points Tie bar hole!
Even if you later use surface mounting motors of some sort the slot or hole wont matter as its covered by the point.
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Return to “Electrical & Electronics”