Roundabout metering using the FALLER car system

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
JLK2707

Roundabout metering using the FALLER car system

Postby JLK2707 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:30 pm

Hey, I am just wondering if it is possible to have the faller car system used for activating metering signals at a roundabout by having queued traffic stuck on specific approaches to the roundabout?

SRman

Re: Roundabout metering using the FALLER car system

Postby SRman » Wed Dec 18, 2019 1:15 am

I can't fully answer your question, but it helps to know that each Faller vehicle has a built-in reed switch and magnet, allowing each one to be stopped by a buried electro-magnet and to trigger other events with their own magnet (perhaps with a reed switch buried under the road).

m.levin

Postby m.levin » Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:29 am

I have an electro magnet that is built in to the road, to stop the vehicles. Which will, at some point be connected to the traffic lights. Just working out how to get the vehicles to speed up as they approach an amber light!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Dec 19, 2019 12:54 pm

The answers to this are just the same as for the question you asked about Ramp Metering
here
It's the same operation without the overhead traffic lights. Wish I could remember the layout that appeared at the Model Tramway show in Manchester a few years back. Some wizard had fitted infra red detectors into the front of each vehicle which gradually brought them to a stop if the one ahead was stopped. It's what you need to make the merging operation work, as the queue will move off one at a time when you let the front one go. It would also make the one on the right give way when the emerging vehicle sticks its nose into a gap. Your roundabouts would have unrealistically polite drivers, but you can't have everything. The system demonstrated also worked when mixed in with moving trams and a level crossing with gates. The infra red reflector was the red disc on the face of the gates.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Electronics”