Novice wiring problem

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
paulpp

Novice wiring problem

Postby paulpp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:21 pm

I am a novice at modelling and even more so at wiring and circuits!
I had fondly thought that wiring my layout as per the attached would enable the feed to go "one way round" the two circuits providing the points (all are dead frog) were set for each circuit - which indeed happens so a train can be stopped on one circuit while the other circuit is used.
The problem is that I had also thought that if a train was running on the inner circuit in an anti clockwise direction and was past the feed I could route it into the siding via point 2 and point 3, whilst leaving the rest of the inner circuit "dead" round to the rail break.
However when I set point 3 to the siding (point 2 being set to the inner circuit) all power to the inner circuit ceases regardless of the position of point 1 and no amount of testing with bridging wires enables the power.
At a loss to understand what is going on so any help/thoughts much appreciated
Attachments
Diagram.jpeg

paulpp

Re: Novice wiring problem 2

Postby paulpp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:24 pm

Whoops. Hope this attachment works
Attachments
Diagram.jpeg

Roger (RJ)

Re: Novice wiring problem

Postby Roger (RJ) » Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:29 pm

Is the rail break in the inner or outer rail? It can make a big difference.

Suzie

Postby Suzie » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:33 pm

The break where shown serves no purpose, and the points should direct power as required.

paulpp

Postby paulpp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:11 pm

Thanks. The break is in the outer rail. It made no difference if I bridged across the break. What I was trying to achieve with the break was if points 2 and 3 were set for the siding and point 1 was still set for the inner circuit point one would not be receiving power thereby enabling the inner circuit from point 1 to point 3 clockwise to be isolated. I had assumed the break would stop power to point 1 from the feed in a clockwise direction.

paulpp

Postby paulpp » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:31 pm

Very many apologies for yet another newbie error. The point causing the problem was one that had been given to me as a Set-track dead frog point. I wondered if it was not working properly so removed it and it is a electro frog point. Having replaced it with a Set-track dead frog all seems ok. But many thanks to those who have tried to help.

Return to “Electronics”