Electromagnets and DCC?

Basic electrical and electronics, such as DC/Analog control.
Corsavxr

Electromagnets and DCC?

Post by Corsavxr »

Hi all

I am trying another form of pick up spreader for another container crane and would like to go down the same route as Heljan using an electromagnet.

The question is, can I use a DCC decoder function to operate for on/off? I know I’ll need a good bit of power but unsure where to go next?

Iain
Bufferstop

Re: Electromagnets and DCC?

Post by Bufferstop »

If the electro magnet you need is too much for a DCC decoder to handle, you can always try a shielded permanent magnet. I have a device that helps plant 3mm dia x 4mm long neodymium magnets for uncoupling. It's a 3mm bore brass tube with a steel rod in it, but it would work just as well with them swapped around. If you put a steel washer or plate in the container push the end of the magnet out of the tube, lift the container, then release it by retracting the magnet into the tube, you would only need enough power to move the magnet, not to lift the load.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Flashbang

Post by Flashbang »

Corsavxr wrote:Hi all

I am trying another form of pick up spreader for another container crane and would like to go down the same route as Heljan using an electromagnet.

The question is, can I use a DCC decoder function to operate for on/off? I know I’ll need a good bit of power but unsure where to go next?

Iain
Hi
I would operate a low current 12 volt relay coil from the decoders Function output and then via the relays contacts switch a separate supply On/Off. Could be the DCC but I would prefer to leave that to run the trains and use a totally separate supply of say 12 volts regulated DC. :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.
RAF96

Post by RAF96 »

For the amount of use it will get could the relay FB talks about switch battery power through to the electromagnet, possibly rechargeable if swapping them in/out os a problem.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester