Signal control switches

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
billydot

Signal control switches

Postby billydot » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:16 am

Hello Everyone, I'm a fairly newby, been at it for about 18months. After having Hornby Dublo as a kid, I'm now wrestling with the intricacies of DCC. Does anyone know if I can control Dapol easy fix semaphore signals using a peco PL26 switch. My local shop recommended a button type switch and it works fine but would rather have the peco switches in a rack if at all possible, more fun for the grandkids. If can be done , anyone know which contacts on the switch to connect the yellow wires from the signal to ?

Mod Note: Topic moved to Electrical Forum Section.

Flashbang

Re: Signal control switches

Postby Flashbang » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:35 pm

On the PL26 link together the outer most two tabs then connect one yellow wire to the middle tab and the other yellow wire to either one of the linked outer tabs.

For Info... The PL26 lever is a Passing Contact type offering Off-(On)-Off switching positions one end of travel to the other end. The Bracketed (On) only makes contact to the middle tab momentarily from one outer tab depending on which way the PL26 lever is travelling. Hence the need to link the outer two tabs together to provide the pulse connection needed to set the signal Off (proceed) and then back On (Stop) again
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

billydot

Postby billydot » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:57 pm

Wow ! Perfect reply and so quick. Many, many thanks and thanks for the explanation also.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:07 pm

I have heard that Dapol signals don't work from solenoids? Do they operate like radio controlled servos do on RC cars? I don't have Dapol signals myself, but I came across the question before and I had assumed they operated via a solenoid type mechanisms.
I am also learning how they work so I watch with interest. :) (Jogging my memory).

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:22 pm

The Dapol signals require a single pulse to change their state, a simple press button would be best. but I can see why someone would want to operate them from lever switches. The Peco passing contact switch is compatible as it does not flash both wires as it moves, the Hornby one does. Flashbang's website has some pictures that show how this happens. There's one disadvantage to using levers, no matter which position the levers are in the signals will always start where they were even if the levers moved when there was no power on. Someone was working on a board to fix this it may have been MERG.
I edited the bit about the type of button, after reading another description of what was needed. Can someone confirm that it just needs a pulse to change state.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

billydot

Postby billydot » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:54 am

Hi, Everyone, Especially Flashbang,
Have only just got round to connecting up the signals as per Flashbangs instuctions and cannot get the signals to work. Have checked all connections are good and even swapped the link between the outer two tabs but to no avail.
Went back to the button and all was fine.
Any more ideas ?

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:35 pm

Can't advise myself as I have not had a Dapol signal as yet. You mention a button. Does that come with the signal? If so I would use them if they aee practical to use.
Hopefully Flashbang knows more. He is ace at things like this.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:04 pm

billydot wrote:Hi, Everyone, Especially Flashbang,
Have only just got round to connecting up the signals as per Flashbangs instuctions and cannot get the signals to work. Have checked all connections are good and even swapped the link between the outer two tabs but to no avail.
Went back to the button and all was fine.
Any more ideas ?

If the Peco lever is the PL26 (no other will do) then linking the outer most tabs together and connecting the signals two yellow wires one \to the middle tab and to one of the outer tabs will cause the signal to operate one way or the other depending on lever. The Peco PL26 provides a momentary connection to whichever way its lever is going to - Exactly as Push Button switch.

Peco PL26 and Dapol signal.jpg

Gordon H

Postby Gordon H » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:09 pm

Bufferstop wrote:There's one disadvantage to using levers, no matter which position the levers are in the signals will always start where they were even if the levers moved when there was no power on. Someone was working on a board to fix this it may have been MERG.

Yes, available to members as Kit No. 470.

billydot

Postby billydot » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Thanks a lot guys. I did have it connected correctly, I wonder why it wouldn,t work ?
Next rainy day I,ll give it another go.
Meanwhile, how to I get Kit no. 470 ?
Cheers

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:10 pm

That's the easy bit, join MERG and order it from the members shop!
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

billydot

Postby billydot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:35 am

Had another go with the PL 26 lever. If I flick the switch backwards and forwards it works about every 10 flicks. Obviously an unsatisfactory state of affairs. Any problem standing out to anyone here ? It appears that a faulty switch is all that remains. All ideas gratefully received.

Flashbang

Postby Flashbang » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:36 am

Try moving the PL26 lever over slower?

billydot

Postby billydot » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:07 pm

Yabbadabbadoo ! Therein lies the answer, simple as that. Move the lever slower, works every time. Doh !
Very many thanks for your patience with a newby !

Return to “Electronics”