5volt to 12volt converter

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
kebang

Re: 5volt to 12volt converter

Postby kebang » Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:00 am

To be honest if it won't let me run a train for a couple of hours I'll revert to plan b, which is to purchase something like this
https://www.lazada.com.ph/products/leoc ... 55923.html?
(Cost approx 7quid)
and connect it to the 12 volt speed/direction controller. I'm pretty sure that would give me 3 or 4 hours running time. (I was trying to avoid such a bulky power supply)

kebang

Postby kebang » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:41 am

Double delivery today! the 5v -12v cable arrived, together with 3 kato power chassis. clipped together a small circle of Kato unitrack and made all the connections. (5v 20000ma power bank to 5v in 12v out cable - to PWM variable speed controller - to track)
Voltage output was 12.5volts at max setting. I spent an hour running in and testing the kato chassis. The control was very good and the chassis very responsive. After an hour the power bank showed very little discharge, which is a good omen for the Hornby OO locos. I don't know but I think the n gauge chassis draw around 0.2amp.
The OO loco will probably draw double that, but I now confidently expect at least a couple of hours running time. Will get the layout running tomorrow using this equipment & will post the results

kebang

Postby kebang » Sun Jan 27, 2019 4:20 am

Still not tested with the OO locos. but whilst the kato chassis were very controllable at full throttle they were far too quick!
I connected the controller to a little 9 volt battery (the standard little oblong one that fits into a multimeter). Again the chassis were extremely controllable at low speed, but this time with a believable top scale speed.
Not sure how long it will take an N gauge kato chassis to drain the 9 volt battery, but as I have a couple of rechargable ones this should not be a problem.

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:24 am

You could always buy the 9v version of your lead or even just try connecting the controller to the 5v output directly just to see if they run with a realistic speed on 5v

Paul

kebang

Postby kebang » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:48 am

power for controller.png
power for controller.png (61.69 KiB) Viewed 483 times

Over 5 hours later the kato chassis is still travelling happily around the oval with the 9v battery powering the controller. It is a cheap rechargeable rated at 180mAh. The battery was fully charged & reading 10 volts. 3 hours later it is reading 8.2 volts. The ah draw of that kato chassis must be incredibly small!
The down side is that this means its no guide to the ah requirements of the OO locos. I must carry out that test tomorrow. (with both power supplies.)
Track voltage was 6 volts at max scale speed but 5 volt will probably give a respectable n gauge 'cruising' speed. (I included the pictures in this post in case anyone didn't realise what I was doing..)

kebang

Postby kebang » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:04 am

Finely had time today to do an OO gauge test. Using the 9 volt battery a hornby 0-4-0 loco ran for 2hrs 45mins until it finally stopped. The loco was not hauling anything so this time needs treating with suspicion!
Next test will be a loco hauling 3 x 4 wheeled hornby coaches. They are not at all free running so this will be a substantial test.

Return to “Electronics”