Looking at electronic componants

Post all your model railway electronic problems, solutions and discoverys here.
End2end

Looking at electronic componants

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:12 pm

Now Maplins are gone from our high streets does anyone know a shop / business / place to be able to actually go and look at componants phsyically?

I was rather shocked to see the size of some capacitors I bought recently as I bought them online so was not quite sure that they would be so big. :shock:
Thanks
End2end
Last edited by End2end on Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

alex3410

Re: Looking at electronic componants

Postby alex3410 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:34 pm

I ran into the same issue recently when i ran out of dropper wire, i had to order it online in the end as i couldn't find anywhere nearby that stocked it, arrived within a few days but stopped my track laying progress over a weekend which was a pain :twisted:

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:03 pm

I had to laugh when I used to work for the railway. Some of the guys there were on the internet years before I was and one of them wanted to buy speakers for the parcel shelf of his car. He saw four speakers in a box which he thought would be ideal. He won the ebay bid and it cost him £40 all in. He thought £10 a speaker was reasonable.
When they came the speakers were huge. Thew only thing we could think was that they were cinema speakers? One single speaker would fit in his car if he put the back seats down :D
He got a bargain as it must have cost near that amount to post it! Having said that, I think he needs a bigger car! :lol:
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:08 pm

There was a bit in the trade new a week or so ago that one of the "Dragons" from the den had bought the rights to the Maplin name, but I can't see what good it will be to him now, those who were regular customers will have found alternative sources, and the occasional customers couldn't have amounted to a lot of sales. They weren't the sort of operation that generated customer loyalty.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Suzie

Postby Suzie » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:24 pm

Maplin started off as a primarily mail order business - the Maplin catalogue was a staple! The only shop they had was in Southend. They used to be unbeatable for quality of components and customer service in the days of competition from Tandy, Ambit International, and numerous small shops.

I think that Rapid is probably going to be the best replacement for the most part. Like Maplin of old they have one trade counter in Essex but the website probably has most of the components that Maplin sold and delivery is pretty quick. There is good data on the website and you should not be caught out by the *shoddy goods that Maplin often stocked.

Some electrical suppliers (CEF et al) might be able to supply wire and chok blocks from a trade counter - but that is probably the extent of it.

*a good example is the toggle switches that would melt if you put a soldering iron near them...

Tom@Crewe

Postby Tom@Crewe » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:39 pm

Ebay! Its easy to find what you want, as long as you know what you want...

And you will soon seen how prices at Maplin were very high for the same thing

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Suzie wrote:Maplin started off as a primarily mail order business - the Maplin catalogue was a staple! The only shop they had was in Southend. They used to be unbeatable for quality of components and customer service in the days of competition from Tandy, Ambit International, and numerous small shops.

Yes I used to frequent that shop when I was a teenager tinkering with electronic circuitry - very different from the over-priced assistants-didn't-have-a-clue shop that has recently closed where I now live . . .

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:26 pm

Tom@Crewe wrote:Maplin were very high for the same thing

Most definatly. Sometimes I ran out of componants at work and had to go and purchase just a couple of items and the price was phenominal. :shock:
There was one product I did buy a few of and that was stick on cable numbers. Very tough and have lasted on my studio cables for over a deacde but still £15 a book. :roll:
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:48 pm

My local store opened. It wasn't there long. It closed despite being very popular and never short of customers.
Last edited by Mountain on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:48 pm

I used the one in Stratford (Warks) if I wanted something urgently, they seemed to have far more staff than their business required and only a couple of them knew anything useful. One of those two could hardly keep a straight face when one of the numpties tried to talk me into having a £55 DVI cable, gold plated and oxygen free copper he said, as I swiftly shot him down by asking what does the D in DVI stand for, at least he knew not to try and sell me something that would make sod all difference.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:52 pm

We're lucky to have a good electronics shop nearby and they always keep a good stock of everything except the thing you went there for.
Regards
Rob

Peterm

Postby Peterm » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:55 am

Do you have 'Radio Spares' over there? Also known as RS Components. If so, they have all types of caps, including smd which I find are great space savers for fitting lights.
Pete.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:16 pm

Used to about 12 - 14 years or more ago until they closed all their stores. I think they went bankrupt. Though my nearest one was in the big city.

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:10 pm

Mountain wrote:Used to about 12 - 14 years or more ago until they closed all their stores. I think they went bankrupt. Though my nearest one was in the big city.

I think you are referring to Radio Shack. Radio Spares (RS components) is still going strong. https://uk.rs-online.com/
If at first you don't succeed - cheat
Anyone who is willing to stand for political office isn't fit to be in political office

https://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk

Rog (RJ)

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:04 pm

Even Radioshack is not completely dead, the name was bought by https://www.hobbytown.com/ and they still trade components.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Return to “Electronics”